Southend Tory MP David Amess RIP

He seemed a genuinely decent bloke and a great constituency MP - massively against fox hunting and a great advocate of animal rights - a fella who was more interested in the people he represented than high office

One of the greatest tragedies of today is that events like this can only deter good people like Amess becoming active in our democracy

A sad, sad day for the UK

It is tragic however it has come about. All I have seen of him today is that he always tried to do the best possible for his constituency.
I know 3 MP's, 2 Tory, 1 Labour. All work their knackers off, have time for everyone. The patience they have with me and the acceptance of what I am is quite something. If you dismiss a whole party as scum, your thinking in all other matters will also be without logic.

Some ( not many) act like dick heads. Every station has one that gets assaulted more than the rest put together
I’m sorry but for me, paramrdics' do the best job. You say some, not many, act like dick heads.
are Ambulance drivers/paramedics the next on the hit list?
Im horrified that anyone could criticise paramrdics

I’m sorry but for me, paramrdics' do the best job. You say some, not many, act like dick heads.
are Ambulance drivers/paramedics the next on the hit list?
Im horrified that anyone could criticise paramrdics
Only time I’ve ever had to use them 2 weeks ago, two different crews and they were simply magnificent.

The job they do for the wage ffs 🙌

99.9% of people are decent.
Of course they are, we just don’t hear about them as they are living normal lives and doing nothing wrong. A small percentage are evil but the majority are just ordinary.
Twitter need shutting down at times like this. It's like they opened Pandora's Box
Twitter needs shutting down altogether.

Last edited:
BBC saying that the attack has been declared a terrorist incident.

“Officers from the Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command are leading the investigation and police have said the early investigation has revealed "a potential motivation linked to Islamist extremism".

Is there anything Amess did in his career that may have made him more of a target than other MPs?

“Officers from the Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command are leading the investigation and police have said the early investigation has revealed "a potential motivation linked to Islamist extremism".

Is there anything Amess did in his career that may have made him more of a target than other MPs?
Not sure now is the time but he was fairly hard line in his illegal immigration stance if you examine his voting record but I’ve seen a report saying he did advocate for immigrants in Southend regardless of his views. I suspect however he just happened to be the MP that was most accessible to the perpetrator, attacks on MP’s both physically and verbally are predominantly from their own constituents.

They said on the news he had just returned from Qatar, and think it might have been to do with human rights, so he could have been prominent on that front.

Not sure now is the time but he was fairly hard line in his illegal immigration stance if you examine his voting record but I’ve seen a report saying he did advocate for immigrants in Southend regardless of his views. I suspect however he just happened to be the MP that was most accessible to the perpetrator, attacks on MP’s both physically and verbally are predominantly from their own constituents.
He advertised his surgeries on Twitter.

Back