Southend Tory MP David Amess RIP

I’m not saying it wasn’t, just doesn’t seem a rational way to conduct affairs. I know Britain is all touchy-feely now, but it is a strange way to hand out city status.

That said, it may have been already in the works anyway, and this simply expedited the process.
Aye as someone said it was looking like it was getting it in 2022 anyway.

I’m not saying it wasn’t, just doesn’t seem a rational way to conduct affairs. I know Britain is all touchy-feely now, but it is a strange way to hand out city status.

That said, it may have been already in the works anyway, and this simply expedited the process.

I have some thoughts on this but I'll reserve them for the politics board as I'll surely be banned if I posted them here.

Quite moving cross party tributes today, seems like a genuinely well liked MP and one that could be reasonable even when vehemently disagreeing.

I guess he was what would be termed this day a "people person". He was by nature simply a nice person. He was particularly good friends with the old Sunderland MP Bob Clay. It probably showed his strength of character that he could see through politics and take people as he found them.

The public can also see through politicians when they're playing to the camera or audience and when they're being genuine. Today showed the latter. MP's from all sides of the House were speaking from the heart and with real warmth and hurt.

There's plenty of MP's like that, too, but that doesn't make for good headlines, so the spin doctors leave them out of the limelight. Which is no bad thing for their constituencies, who get a real MP, instead of a career politician that's only too happy to wield power without principle.

I guess he was what would be termed this day a "people person". He was by nature simply a nice person. He was particularly good friends with the old Sunderland MP Bob Clay. It probably showed his strength of character that he could see through politics and take people as he found them.

The public can also see through politicians when they're playing to the camera or audience and when they're being genuine. Today showed the latter. MP's from all sides of the House were speaking from the heart and with real warmth and hurt.

There's plenty of MP's like that, too, but that doesn't make for good headlines, so the spin doctors leave them out of the limelight. Which is no bad thing for their constituencies, who get a real MP, instead of a career politician that's only too happy to wield power without principle.
Well said my lovely xx

I thought the Tribute that mentioned Amess disagreeing with gay marriage but always asking about the persons husband probably epitomised him. He no doubt had strongly held religious reasons for that belief, one I think is wrong, but evidently wasn’t judgemental and saw another person whom he cared enough to enquire as to their welfare. Said a lot about him IMO and demonstrates you can still be kind to those you vehemently disagree with.

Strange, given he was murdered in a terror attack by an Islamist

Pretty sure there were calls for "Nicer and kinder" politics after Jo Cox was murdered by a far right extremist too, but there we go.
Some will listen to that call, others will not. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of either scenario again.

No chance of parole I heard on the radio.
That seems fair enough, the murderer won't even acknowledge what he did was wrong.

It's quite astonishing but not unsurprising that this has not made more headline news.

The very fact only 8 people on this very forum have commented on this ghastly murder since the verdict was read out is indicative of modern times.

Back