Southampton in League 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What academy players actually made it into their team though? Ward Prowse and Luke Shaw? Lallana. They used more academy players the season they came up but they were squad players. Les Reed’s recruitment is the reason they done aswell as they did. It’s a myth they have this fantastic academy
Southampton fans despise Les Reed nowadays

Southampton fans despise Les Reed nowadays
he wasnt the academy manager..ste wrigley was..and he is one of the best in thw UK..

What academy players actually made it into their team though? Ward Prowse and Luke Shaw? Lallana. They used more academy players the season they came up but they were squad players. Les Reed’s recruitment is the reason they done aswell as they did. It’s a myth they have this fantastic academy
fella called gareth bale...also oxlade chamberlain,,walcott..and this season matt target I think?

This, everyone who thinks Sunderland is undesirable should look around more, the south has as many shitholes as the north, it just costs more to live there.
Southampton isn't great from what I've seen of it.

Don’t think there was many - Chamberlain and Lallana stand out. They had other players who went on to be canny like Jose Fonte and Schniderlin but weren’t academy graduates.
Shaw, Ward Prowse, that bloke Jack thingy, can't remember his surname. Oxlade Chamberlain (although he got transferred at the end of the season they got promoted to the Champo).

Lallana and Oxlade Chamberlain were the only regulars in their team from their academy in League One tbf
That just means we're better than Southampton, doesn't it?

he wasnt the academy manager..ste wrigley was..and he is one of the best in thw UK..

fella called gareth bale...also oxlade chamberlain,,walcott..and this season matt target I think?
None of those played in League 1. And Oxlade-Chamberlain was snapped up by Arsenal after his first full season. Southampton never made their way back to the Premier League because academy lads like Walcott, Bale and Oxlade-Chamberlain were in the team, they made it back because they were able to cash in* on those players and re-invest in decent Championship/Premiership players. Unfortunately, we have nothing near the quality of those three coming through at present.

*Out of interest, Walcott went for an initial £5m rising to £12, but they eventually settled on £9.1m when Southampton were desperate for money. Bale was similar going for £5m rising to £10, but the clubs agreeing early settlement at £7m. Oxlade-Chamberlain went for a deal thought to be around £12m rising to £15m. The only player we could hope to attract anywhere near those figures for is Maja, but that remains to be seen. We only got £2m for Joel Asoro.

Always thought it was a very upmarket place for some reason. Here now, bit of a shithole isnt it!

Agree with the sentiment. Ston, Burnley, Bournmouth etc have had numerous lads make the grade who’ve cost nothing and outperformed and outbattled the shitstains we blew millions on.
I had that presumption about Southampton before I first went there - to a gig at the Joiners (?) before the new stadium was built. That part of town was like a bloody ghetto back then.

I had that presumption about Southampton before I first went there - to a gig at the Joiners (?) before the new stadium was built. That part of town was like a bloody ghetto back then.
St Mary's Street. That area is still rough as arseholes. Some nice places in Southampton, just away from city centre and immediate suburbs.

I just hope that they're all having such a good time playing with their mates that they realise the grass isn't always greener, despite what their agents tell them e.g. Joel 'movingtoSwanseawasashitdecision' Asoro.

Maybe,. In the category of others we haven't heard of, Jordan Hunter looks a really good prospect.
Was Jordan Hunter on against Morecambe tother night? How did he play?

I just hope that they're all having such a good time playing with their mates that they realise the grass isn't always greener, despite what their agents tell them e.g. Joel 'movingtoSwanseawasashitdecision' Asoro.

Maybe,. In the category of others we haven't heard of, Jordan Hunter looks a really good prospect.

No he doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back