South Shields

I lived at the nook for 20 year and if I had to choose from them 2 places pine ave would me my choice every time, easy ave is not a bad place it’s the same as most places just there was a few bad eggs around there, that may of changed now as it was a while back when I lived around that area, I went to Harton juniors and infants and easy ave always just felt like it was not a nice place

Thanks, First hand experience i have been looking for.

I remember it as the Vigilante in the 70s when it had all the Spanish memorabilia upstairs, eg a Bullfight poster with El Cordobes, Manolete and "insert your name here" (probably still there, is it?):D

It’s still called the Vigilant but the upstairs must have shut down years ago. Just the 2 rooms now on the ground floor.

One of them appears to have been stripped out in the last couple of weeks

John McKay iirc
Think he may be dead now
Not just getting ready for reopening with all the new rules and regs
He actually trains in Naples so not a million miles away tbf.

Certainly the best pizza I've had in this country by a mile.
People really need to try it when they can

Last edited:
The looks you get in the ship if you’re not a regular :eek:
Only ever go into the back room to watch football when I go in there, would rather have a pint in the nook our cranny back when they were going
I liked Marsden personally
Easy access to the beach when you live up there, and that would be a massive plus if I was moving into the area, top of Prince Edward road would be canny

Last edited:
Only ever go into the back room to watch football when I go in there, would rather have a pint in the nook our cranny back when they were going

Easy access to the beach when you live up there, and that would be a massive plus if I was moving into the area, top of Prince Edward road would be canny
The houses around the Fulwell area of Marsden just up from the Hill are really well built

I lived up there opposite the Marsden Inn, nice fresh sea air, batard freezing in winter!

Last time I was in I thought it had gone a bit down hill. I used to get in regularly as the in laws live around the corner but it wasn’t as good last time I went in. The Ship next door has canny beers on but it’s a bit depressing.

We live next door to the Ship. It's good for a bit of tea time drinking, weekend nights it's full of older couple groups who are a pain in the arse about sitting in "their" seats.
The Vigilant hardly ever go in, was banned for life in the 90s by Dave Armstrong the manager. Reckon he did me a favour.

We live next door to the Ship. It's good for a bit of tea time drinking, weekend nights it's full of older couple groups who are a pain in the arse about sitting in "their" seats.
The Vigilant hardly ever go in, was banned for life in the 90s by Dave Armstrong the manager. Reckon he did me a favour.

Yeah the ship is alright for a couple of mid afternoon / teatime pints but that’s about it. Strangely I’ve been in most boxing days the past few years with in-laws around the corner.
I used to get in Vig back room a bit for the football but don’t bother now. Certainly not missing it.

I had the unfortunate displeasure of having to rent a house in Shields for 3 months at the back end of 2016/early 2017 when I was doing a little bit of advisory work for the football club. The house itself was lovely, quite a big 4 bed, spacious kitchen, lovely little garden area. Was just a 5 minute walk down the road to the South Marine Park which was great for an early morning run and a nice walk around and onto the sea front before dinner and a couple of pints in the Sundial (?) but the people living nearby was awful. Full of scratters arguing and fighting at all hours and drugs everywhere you turn. Think it was like a Halfway House/Doss House just up the road, coppers were always sniffing around. Town Centre wasn't great but not the worst place in the world at the time. Could have one or 2 pints in a couple of the boozers. No idea what it's like nowadays

I had the unfortunate displeasure of having to rent a house in Shields for 3 months at the back end of 2016/early 2017 when I was doing a little bit of advisory work for the football club. The house itself was lovely, quite a big 4 bed, spacious kitchen, lovely little garden area. Was just a 5 minute walk down the road to the South Marine Park which was great for an early morning run and a nice walk around and onto the sea front before dinner and a couple of pints in the Sundial (?) but the people living nearby was awful. Full of scratters arguing and fighting at all hours and drugs everywhere you turn. Think it was like a Halfway House/Doss House just up the road, coppers were always sniffing around. Town Centre wasn't great but not the worst place in the world at the time. Could have one or 2 pints in a couple of the boozers. No idea what it's like nowadays

Were you’re talking about does have A few half way houses. There huge houses so they do get used for that aswel as nurseries etc. It’s a lovely street otherwise. The police do get called out a few times but mostly it’s no bother.

Were you’re talking about does have A few half way houses. There huge houses so they do get used for that aswel as nurseries etc. It’s a lovely street otherwise. The police do get called out a few times but mostly it’s no bother.

Beech/Beach Road it was called iirc. My neighbours for that short time were lovely people and couldn't have been more helpful with letting the dog run around their garden during the day if I couldn't take him over to Bede whilst working. If it didn't have the half way houses (didn't mind the nurseries/b and b/guest houses) it would probably be one of the nicest places I could think of to live up that neck of the woods. This was a couple of years back now so don't have a clue what it's like now.

Beech/Beach Road it was called iirc. My neighbours for that short time were lovely people and couldn't have been more helpful with letting the dog run around their garden during the day if I couldn't take him over to Bede whilst working. If it didn't have the half way houses (didn't mind the nurseries/b and b/guest houses) it would probably be one of the nicest places I could think of to live up that neck of the woods. This was a couple of years back now so don't have a clue what it's like now.

Yeah Beach Road and still the same as you recall mate. It’s a beautiful looking street.

Back