South North on Thursday (vs. Somerset)

One was bowling well, the other poor. Ridiculous captaincy just as it was on Sunday leaving Borthwick on when Bushnell had bowled 2 overs for 2 runs.
I wasn't being serious -I've been driven to sarcasm mode by these abject displays. The only reasonable bowler we're dispensing with at the end of the season.
I think it's safe to say that Ackermann will be our white ball captain next season.
Might well be our red ball captain also.

Last edited:
So driving up the wife said "if we bat first it will be over by 4pm" and right she was. Ever so predictable middle order collapse. Must have been about 5/70 at a guess? Whilst I said no expectations for this season as I strongly believe a lot of damage has been done in recent years, that today was completely unacceptable against a very inexperienced side who lets be honest were a 2nd/3rd time similar to Surrey last season. Not impressed with the captaincy again today, and some of our batting was embarrassing, just throwing away wickets with stupid shots. Jones and Borthwick failing to impress which is a concern ahead of the next two games. De Leede was poor, he's been excellent in the red ball but not yet delivering in white ball, he'll come good though. Haven't a clue what to suggest team wise for the next game but today was so disappointing. These middle order collapses in white ball cricket needs to be addressed as it's gone on far too long now and it's a massive concern. On the flip side I thought some bowling by Drissell was decent. Not a bad crowd either today. Missed opportunity for Durham

So driving up the wife said "if we bat first it will be over by 4pm" and right she was. Ever so predictable middle order collapse. Must have been about 5/70 at a guess? Whilst I said no expectations for this season as I strongly believe a lot of damage has been done in recent years, that today was completely unacceptable against a very inexperienced side who lets be honest were a 2nd/3rd time similar to Surrey last season. Not impressed with the captaincy again today, and some of our batting was embarrassing, just throwing away wickets with stupid shots. Jones and Borthwick failing to impress which is a concern ahead of the next two games. De Leede was poor, he's been excellent in the red ball but not yet delivering in white ball, he'll come good though. Haven't a clue what to suggest team wise for the next game but today was so disappointing. These middle order collapses in white ball cricket needs to be addressed as it's gone on far too long now and it's a massive concern. On the flip side I thought some bowling by Drissell was decent. Not a bad crowd either today. Missed opportunity for Durham
Wait you had a go at me for being critical of de leede in white ball cricket

Looking at his final over suggests he deliberately bowled no balls to hand Somerset victory.
It was strange cos the kid who was facing had just come in to bat on debut and looked about 12 year old. Borthwick keeping shouting about him being on debut, which I think encouraged Coughlin to bowl wild at him and obviously no balls/wides were the end outcome which was petulant and embarrassing to be honest.

It was strange cos the kid who was facing had just come in to bat on debut and looked about 12 year old. Borthwick keeping shouting about him being on debut, which I think encouraged Coughlin to bowl wild at him and obviously no balls/wides were the end outcome which was petulant and embarrassing to be honest.
Stand on the naughty step for the duration of the next home game.

As I was leaving, a couple of Durham members were expressing their displeasure to Alan Walker. (I didn’t hear the whole conversation and wasn’t deliberately eavesdropping, but I could hardly miss it)

To his credit, he didn’t just dismiss them, but was basically saying that we need to look at the whole picture and not be distracted by a couple of bad results.

I tend to agree. Sunday and today were embarrassing. But when we look at the progress we’ve made this season, we have to be satisfied with this? As I posted earlier in the thread during the match, if we get promoted, days like today will just be a blip in the history books.

The lad (and his team mates) were probably laughing their bits off when they got back to the dressing room.

Last edited:
As I was leaving, a couple of Durham members were expressing their displeasure to Alan Walker. (I didn’t hear the whole conversation and wasn’t deliberately eavesdropping, but I could hardly miss it)

To his credit, he didn’t just dismiss them, but was basically saying that we need to look at the whole picture and not be distracted by a couple of bad results.

I tend to agree. Sunday and today were embarrassing. But when we look at the progress we’ve made this season, we have to be satisfied with this? As I posted earlier in the thread during the match, if we get promoted, days like today will just be a blip in the history books.

The lad (and his team mates) were probably laughing their bits off when they got back to the dressing room.
But we haven't made progress on the development side, we've regressed and that's the important side. Compare our younguns to Somerset's.
But we haven't made progress on the development side, we've regressed and that's the important side. Compare our younguns to Somerset's.
And where's our DoC when this is going on. With the Hundred or at this game but swaning it with the corporates.

Last edited:

Back