South North on Thursday (vs. Somerset)

As I was leaving, a couple of Durham members were expressing their displeasure to Alan Walker. (I didn’t hear the whole conversation and wasn’t deliberately eavesdropping, but I could hardly miss it)

To his credit, he didn’t just dismiss them, but was basically saying that we need to look at the whole picture and not be distracted by a couple of bad results.

I tend to agree. Sunday and today were embarrassing. But when we look at the progress we’ve made this season, we have to be satisfied with this? As I posted earlier in the thread during the match, if we get promoted, days like today will just be a blip in the history books.

The lad (and his team mates) were probably laughing their bits off when they got back to the dressing room.
I'm relaxed about it. I posted at the start of the season I had no expectations so fair to say the county stuff has been a huge welcome. White ball is going to take time, we went backwards in recent years and I don't forsee that changing quickly anytime soon. Alan Walker is a good man, spoke to him at Leicester a couple of months ago and he was very open and honest about recent years and he himself was very critical about certain things and people, he didn't shy away from things and didn't make any excuses, he's a good bloke and like us he's also a fan who loves the club. Last couple of games have been embarrassing but overall the place has had a massive lift this year which is credit to everyone. We've just got to keep going and get promoted. Small steps, though I still would like to see Marcus North out of the club, I think he's very fortunate he's still in post. The development of the young players is a concern but I can't blame that in Campbell, again a lot of damage was done in recent years and confidence was shot with many of them. Plenty of work to do but promotion would signal a positive on the road to recovery

Last edited:

All in all, I still enjoyed the day out despite the shambolic performance. It's a friendly place to go and it's nice to sit with different people, even though the percentage of NUFC sympathisers is higher than at Ch-le-St. I'm guessing cricket loving football fans aren't as objectionable as those who don't.

There was a family who came in at about 10.45. Two adults and two children. They said they weren't aware of the lack of seating, had no chairs and that they were going to leave and get their money back. Wonder how they got on.

There was a family who came in at about 10.45. Two adults and two children. They said they weren't aware of the lack of seating, had no chairs and that they were going to leave and get their money back. Wonder how they got on.
On the seating issue - As Somerset were strolling to victory I got thinking about how times have changed as in the early First Class days you'd have far smaller venues hosting Durham games ie Hartlepool and Ropery Lane and there were always plenty of temporary seating back then. Guess it's the cost I suppose together with the fact it's probably not worth the bother for what was a 50 over a side game or in the case of yesterday - a 71 over match.

All in all, I still enjoyed the day out despite the shambolic performance. It's a friendly place to go and it's nice to sit with different people, even though the percentage of NUFC sympathisers is higher than at Ch-le-St. I'm guessing cricket loving football fans aren't as objectionable as those who don't.

We didn't take seats a couple years ago, was tempted to buy some from Argos but just leaned against the roller :lol: remembered to take them this year.

What were they expecting? :lol::lol:
To be fair, if they were 'casual' cricket fans unfamiliar with the arrangements, I can understand why they would have expected some form of seating to be provided at a first class cricket match.

If their only exposure to cricket has been the kids watching the 16.4, some IPL and maybe the Ashes this year, South North, as enjoyable as I find it, would have been somewhat of a shock.

'Are the team in blue a proper team Mam, they don't seem very good at playing cricket?'

To be fair, if they were 'casual' cricket fans unfamiliar with the arrangements, I can understand why they would have expected some form of seating to be provided at a first class cricket match.

If their only exposure to cricket has been the kids watching the 16.4, some IPL and maybe the Ashes this year, South North, as enjoyable as I find it, would have been somewhat of a shock.

'Are the team in blue a proper team Mam, they don't seem very good at playing cricket?'
Totally agree. Every county outground I've been to provided temporary seating-even if you had to pay a deposit for them. It's not at all difficult for the staging venue to arrange that. South North focused purely on the corporate clients. Totally wrong and wholly against diversity aims.

Last edited:

Back