South Africa v England 3rd Test - Port Elizabeth

Best couple of days cricket for England in ages.

Do people still think there isn't quality in the CC or Trev Bayliss just wasn't a very good test coach?

Imo the reason England are doing well lately in this series is the South African side are very poor, I thought England would turn this series around, not becuase of who the coach is, but becuase South Africa are not a good side, that was pretty clear coming into this series.

In fact in they worst side in living memory imo,

Would the same English batsman have got as many runs in the second innings of the last test match and the first innings of this one against the Aussies in English conditions?

I doubt that very much, credit must go to our batsman, of course ,but we must not forget the wickets have been flat and their team are just not very good.
This South African said been shit is more of a influence on the way this is going rather than who our coach is?

Last edited:
Two wickets down is a nice finish to the day, no matter who took them or how. Especially with a rain delay. england are well ahead in this game and should win it midway through Monday, weather permitting
Great day of sport tomorrow

Stopping in me
I think I may do exactly the same. The mrs can visit the bookies

Last edited:
Imo the reason England are doing well lately in this series is the South African side are very poor, I thought England would turn this series around, not becuase of who the coach is, but becuase South Africa are not a good side, that was pretty clear coming into this series.

Would the same English batsman have got as many runs in the second innings of the last test match and the first innings of this one against the Aussies in English conditions?

I doubt that very much, credit must go to our batsman, of course ,but we must not forget the wickets have been flat and their team are just not very good.
This South African said been shit is more of a influence on the way this is going rather than who our coach is?

It's two teams in transition but their transition seems to be more drastic and not as far on as ours really. You look at their team and there's very few who would be in and around ours - de Kock, Elgar, Rabada, du Plessis, maybe Maharaj (because both of us have limited spin options). Philander at his peak would have but not now.

It's two teams in transition but their transition seems to be more drastic and not as far on as ours really. You look at their team and there's very few who would be in and around ours - de Kock, Elgar, Rabada, du Plessis, maybe Maharaj (because both of us have limited spin options). Philander at his peak would have but not now.
There are one or two who now play in England that would improve this saffers side. They’ve chosen to maximise earnings over representing country.

is that not what we all are about these days?

I just think with South Africa having to survive just an hour or so, and with loads of runs to play with Root had nothing to lose by chucking the ball to Wood first up and say give me 5 or 6 overs at full pelt.
I just don’t understand it.
Agree mate. I would have said to Woody , “Just let it go”

There is possibly one thing that made root reluctant to let wood go full throttle. Who knows if the umps had mentioned failing light and might have whipped them off earlier?

personally 2 wickets down already, we are in a match winning position already

@NorthCountryBoy @Paddy O'Dors

Any of you lads in that area with the collection of Durham/SAFC flags avoiding Woody's sixes.

Just been enjoying the highlights on TV. Harder to spot all the flags on a minimised window at work.

I think Dumpling off here’s Red House one was the one Woody hit. Mine was just along (Gods Country). We’ll try and get the SAFC ones together tomorrow if @El Oso can delay his coco pops.

Was pleased for Bess. Need a spinner to work with Leach in Sri Lanka soon. I was also mystified at the delay to bringing Wood on and the lack of slips though.

I think Dumpling off here’s Red House one was the one Woody hit. Mine was just along (Gods Country). We’ll try and get the SAFC ones together tomorrow if @El Oso can delay his coco pops.

Was pleased for Bess. Need a spinner to work with Leach in Sri Lanka soon. I was also mystified at the delay to bringing Wood on and the lack of slips though.
I'll try mate.
Nee promises like

Miserable get.

Their team is weakened but we have a load of inexperienced players (Sibley, Crawley, Pope, Bess) and they still have the number 4 and 6 ranked bowlers in the world.

The main difference in this series is the batsmen batting like they are in a five day match, wearing down the bowlers and seeing off the new ball, none of that 'fearless cricket' blood and thunder shite. Hardly any surprise we look better playing the test game the way it is supposed to be played.

Miserable get.

Their team is weakened but we have a load of inexperienced players (Sibley, Crawley, Pope, Bess) and they still have the number 4 and 6 ranked bowlers in the world.

The main difference in this series is the batsmen batting like they are in a five day match, wearing down the bowlers and seeing off the new ball, none of that 'fearless cricket' blood and thunder shite. Hardly any surprise we look better playing the test game the way it is supposed to be played.

No, The main difference is that Cummins and Hazelwood bowled nothing short of brilliant in bowler friendly conditions, where as these two last tests have been played on dead flat tracks against a team not playing well.

The Aussie team would destroy this South Africa side.

I notice you are not taking the mickey out of my bet for England to win the series no more!

The South Africa side is the worst side I can ever remember them having.

Last edited:
No, The main difference is that Cummins and Hazelwood bowled nothing short of brilliant in bowler friendly conditions, where as these two last tests have been played on dead flat tracks against a team not playing well.

I notice you are not taking the mickey out of my bet for England to win the series no more!

South Africa have beat them home & away the last 2 series they have played. Aussies had to resort to using sandpaper last time

What was the result last winter in South Africa v Australia? Just wondering that’s all

saffers won I think, more than likely wrong
South Africa have beat them home & away the last 2 series they have played. Aussies had to resort to using sandpaper last time
That answers my question.

Back