South Africa v England 3rd Test - Port Elizabeth

Port Elizabeth wickets are like this. They generally also reverse swing, and they picked two out and out quicks for that purpose.

Keshav Maharaj has 100 wickets @28.44 and has taken 9 wickets in an innings. Elgar is a handy occasional spinner. They probably figured they had the edge in the spin department.

Until you watch them bat last time out in India and realise they wouldn’t have an edge over an under 9 girls team in the spin department.

Pretty easy for them to change the wicket if they wanted to - we slam English counties for this exact thing test after test.

miles behind the top two
Well our only series that have counted have been 4 and 5 match series so points per win/draw are less. Which doesn't help.

We have 3 series in a row that are 2/3 games. Sri Lanka 2(A) Windies 3(H) Pakistan 3(H) have to be looking to win all 8 to have a chance of making the final.

The India away in a 5 match series to end it. India at home and Aus away in 2021 go into the next championship.

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant test. The last 2 have been fantastic. Suddenly, from the chaos of the summer it looks like we might just have a settled top 6. Burns and Bairstow to provide competition to the current team (I'd assume Burns comes straight back in however..........)

The bowing unit is still a concern. Curran can surely only ever be a 4th seamer unless he finds 5mph from somewhere. Jimmy looks like he might be on the way out and Wood will never be fit enough to be a long term solution. A lot riding on Archer......

Absolutely brilliant test. The last 2 have been fantastic. Suddenly, from the chaos of the summer it looks like we might just have a settled top 6. Burns and Bairstow to provide competition to the current team (I'd assume Burns comes straight back in however..........)

The bowing unit is still a concern. Curran can surely only ever be a 4th seamer unless he finds 5mph from somewhere. Jimmy looks like he might be on the way out and Wood will never be fit enough to be a long term solution. A lot riding on Archer......
Your forgetting he's 21. Jimmy Anderson wasnt anywhere near the swing bowler he is until in his 30s.

Philander didn't even debut until he was 26 and never bowled any faster than Curran does now.

Curran still learning only played 65 FC games and 16 of them tests. Yet was averaging under 30 until Maharaj spanked him about today.

Your forgetting he's 21. Jimmy Anderson wasnt anywhere near the swing bowler he is until in his 30s.

Philander didn't even debut until he was 26 and never bowled any faster than Curran does now.

Curran still learning only played 65 FC games and 16 of them tests. Yet was averaging under 30 until Maharaj spanked him about today.
Yeah, I take your point, but the lad (at the height of his physical powers) bowls at 75 MpH.
I really like him, he's got that dogfuck attitude that his Dad had

Back