Sopranos ending discussion (spoilers)

Possibly done to death but I’m not too arsed. Who do we think whacked him then?

Most common theory is Eugenes wife as the bloke walks in with Eugenesys members jacket on but me personally I think it was this bloke linked below. The only one to talk to Tony this way and get away with it. Some balls.

Schrödinger’s Tony:

Tony Soprano neither survived or got killed because it’s a TV show. If you didn’t see it, it didn’t happen. No matter how much the evidence overwhelmingly points to him being gunned down at the behest of Paulie and Patsy (note the weird “it’s all yours” comment at the urinal earlier in the episode).

Sort of joking, but there’s actually a basis for this in the show.

In Episode 4 of Season 6, when Tony is recuperating after his coma, he goes to watch a boxing match with a scientist named John Schwinn who explains another bit of Schrödinger's work,

'Schrödinger's Equation':

"It's physics. Schrödinger's equation. The boxers, you, me we're all part of the same quantum field. Think of the two boxers as ocean waves or currents of air, two tornadoes, say. They appear to be two things, right? Two separate things. But they're not. Tornadoes are just wind, the wind stirred up in different directions. The fact is, nothing is separate, everything's connected."

Then there’s the orange cat in the final episode and a mural of it on the wall behind where Tony may or may not have been shot…

Those clues you talked about earlier, they are what we call evidence :lol: :lol:

I've a degree in Law mate, trust me that circumstantial evidence isn't worth shit in real life, don't believe what you see on CSI.
I tell you what you could park a bus in that space that Meadow was having trouble with
That's true. I think it was just to build up the tension massively, like all the last scene, before nothing happening. Brilliant.

A brilliant ending that has led to people still talking and wondering to this day.
Some people apparently felt a bit cheated at the time, after watching it for years and wanting a definitive ending but I never got round to watching it until a few years back and thought it was an ideal way to leave it.

Last edited:
A brilliant ending that has led to people still talking and wondering to this day.
Some people apparently felt a bit cheated at the time, after watching it for years and wanting a definitive ending but I never got round to watching it until a few years back and thought it was an ideal way to leave it.
Strangely, I remember the first time I saw the ending, my reaction was in the most complimentary possible way, a sort of vague indifference to whether he was killed or not. It was made so abundantly clear that with his crew killed off, and Carlo flipping, either way, he was finished and there was no story left to tell. The ending at most just sort of felt like wrapping up the loose ends and checking out.

Over the years, and watching the series more times than I can remember, I have a massive amount of appreciation for how well done the final scene was mind, and for all of the layers to it.

Well this is it really - I remember a few mates and I done a series finale party as I'm sure many did and when that screen went to black everyone was stunned. At that initial moment I hated it.

Years down the line, present day etc. that we're STILL discussing this? Genius.

FWIW I don't think there'll ever be a show like it, or come as close to it ever again.

wasn't the bloke who played paulie a bit of a gangster in real life?
Alleged associate of the Colombo Crime Family, was arrested around 28 times in his younger life. His line about surviving the 70s by the skin of his arse when the Colombos were having an internal war was supposedly in relation to his real life. Also only took the part on the condition his character would never become an FBI informant.

Read an interview with Chase last year where he said along the lines of 'it doesn't matter if Tony died in the restaurant, as in his line of work and the way things were there was a bleak future for Tony sooner rather than later'

I remember watching it on telly so as live as it can then watching it on plus one cos I thought me telly had fucked uphaha.
Unreal series. Watch it every year and I still laugh at it or think fuck me even if I know what’s going to happen next.

the ending felt like a massive let down at the time
This..from what I remember hearing at the time it aired.
Thankfully managed to watch the series for the first time a few years back and thought the ending was genius (show is brilliant but that should go without saying).

Times been kind to the ending and I think most people now view it as a great ending

You can put the clues together and come up with a theory, you certainly can't 'know'.
Why is there so many different theories if someone actually 'knows'. Which one is correct if you 'know'?

It's not complicated, he didn't die because he didn't die.
How do you know he didn’t die?

Wasn’t that about the Phil hit?
At a glance it seems like that’s what they’re talking about, but when you watch the sequence back, and a little more closely, you realise the “it’s all yours” comment is very off and doesn’t actually make as much sense in terms of Phil as you first thought.

Killing Tony, and taking over the Family on the other hand…

Back