Sopranos ending discussion (spoilers)

Don't think he had a definitive plan with it. He could set it up well, use clever techniques and callbacks to what's been said in the show previously to make it look a certain way but also leave it open ended. The fact that he's never came out since it finished nearly twenty year ago and said he died or didn't die kinda goes along with that as well.

Always thought part of the reason he left it open ended was in case the show came back in any way in the future then they weren't gonna do it without Tony.

Iirc the creator said something like "we all die" at the end.

My daughter watched The Sooranos for the first time recently (on my learned recommendation) and she text me whilst watching the penultimate episode. I noted the time and waited patiently for another hour…..sure enough….another text… ‘WHAAAAAAATTTTT’ 😂

Iirc the creator said something like "we all die" at the end.

No his freudian slip was:

“I had a scene in which Tony comes back from a meeting in New York in his car. At the beginning of every show, he came from New York into New Jersey, and the last scene could be him coming from New Jersey back into New York for a meeting at which he was going to be killed. Yeah.

“But I think I had this notion – I was driving on Ocean Park Boulevard near the airport and I saw a little restaurant. It was kind of like a shack that served breakfast. And for some reason I thought: ‘Tony should get it in a place like that.’ Why? I don’t know. That was, like, two years before.”

No his freudian slip was:

“I had a scene in which Tony comes back from a meeting in New York in his car. At the beginning of every show, he came from New York into New Jersey, and the last scene could be him coming from New Jersey back into New York for a meeting at which he was going to be killed. Yeah.

“But I think I had this notion – I was driving on Ocean Park Boulevard near the airport and I saw a little restaurant. It was kind of like a shack that served breakfast. And for some reason I thought: ‘Tony should get it in a place like that.’ Why? I don’t know. That was, like, two years before.”

I've not read that before so cheers.A few years ago (clearly before that article) I read some long winded arty bollocks about how it's an end for all of us or some shite

Only idiots need to make up imaginary endings to a brilliant ending of the best show ever.

You ever heard of this fella called Sherlock Holmes, he can infer things from what people say and do and from clues - it's amazing pal, you should look him up.

We don't know that Dennis Nilsen killed 12 people but we can infer things from what he said and the clues that were found, we can never know but we infer - this type of skill is conducted in courts up and down the country every single day.

Only idiots need to make up imaginary endings to a brilliant ending of the best show ever.

You clearly didn't understand the show.

I bet you idolise the characters not realising that the entire show was taking the piss out of them.
Only toddlers need to be spoon fed pal.
You ever heard of this fella called Sherlock Holmes, he can infer things from what people say and do and from clues - it's amazing pal, you should look him up.

We don't know that Dennis Nilsen killed 12 people but we can infer things from what he said and the clues that were found, we can never know but we infer - this type of skill is conducted in courts up and down the country every single day.
:lol:

the ending felt like a massive let down at the time
Maybe for the first few seconds - then as i thought about it at the time, I realised the brilliance of it.

It's basically left up to each of us millions of viewers to make up our own minds - and as proven by this thread, we are STILL discussing our own theories nearly 20 years later :lol: How many other shows can match that?

Yeah good luck getting a murder conviction with zero evidence.
You clearly didn't understand the show.
I've forgotten more about the show than you'll ever know sunshine.

Last edited:

Back