Sopranos ending discussion (spoilers)

Possibly done to death but I’m not too arsed. Who do we think whacked him then?

Most common theory is Eugenes wife as the bloke walks in with Eugenesys members jacket on but me personally I think it was this bloke linked below. The only one to talk to Tony this way and get away with it. Some balls.

It's was done so there was several people in the cafe that had just cause to kill him. The writer wanted people to discuss it.

Personally reckon he was whacked and that is why it cut so suddenly. You don't know when your lights are put out from a hitman.

Most theories seem to think Patsy/Paulie, but more so Patsy, working with New York would be behind it. I always thought he maybe didn’t get whacked and the ending was Chase’s way of demonstrating this is Tony’s life, never knowing when or if he was alive and breathing one minute to his heed blown off the next.

It was Jamal Ginsberg all along.

Logon or register to see this image
He walked into Holstens and punched his f***ing lights out to death iirc.

Don't think he had a definitive plan with it. He could set it up well, use clever techniques and callbacks to what's been said in the show previously to make it look a certain way but also leave it open ended. The fact that he's never came out since it finished nearly twenty year ago and said he died or didn't die kinda goes along with that as well.

Always thought part of the reason he left it open ended was in case the show came back in any way in the future then they weren't gonna do it without Tony.

Dont think he died

New York had given up Phil so no need to go after Tony

Think its just the uncertainty of being a gangster.

The members ony guy could just be a guy but you are paranoid cos of job. Might be revenge but whos stupid enough to try

Most theories seem to think Patsy/Paulie, but more so Patsy, working with New York would be behind it. I always thought he maybe didn’t get whacked and the ending was Chase’s way of demonstrating this is Tony’s life, never knowing when or if he was alive and breathing one minute to his heed blown off the next.

He walked into Holstens and punched his f***ing lights out to death iirc.
Did patsy ever get over the hit on his twin? Some terrible shooting when Sil got put in hospital and Patsy got away unscathed. Makes you wonder.
Dont think he died

New York had given up Phil so no need to go after Tony

Think its just the uncertainty of being a gangster.

The members ony guy could just be a guy but you are paranoid cos of job. Might be revenge but whos stupid enough to try
Did you know Phil did 20 years in the can ?

Nope

Yeah I've watched it 4/5 times.

You weren’t paying attention then.
Don't think he had a definitive plan with it. He could set it up well, use clever techniques and callbacks to what's been said in the show previously to make it look a certain way but also leave it open ended. The fact that he's never came out since it finished nearly twenty year ago and said he died or didn't die kinda goes along with that as well.

Always thought part of the reason he left it open ended was in case the show came back in any way in the future then they weren't gonna do it without Tony.

It wasn’t open ended. Tony was killed.

Last edited:
If it wasn't in the show it didn't happen.

The last 30 mins tell you it all.

You think the director allowed the Members Only guy to ruin his shot of AJ coming into Holstens? We are shown the members only guy on purpose (Eugenes had that jacket, personal opinion is I think Eugenes wife had him whacked)
Bobby talks to Tony in a serious and oddly touching boat scene and we are told "At the end, you probably don’t hear anything, everything just goes black" this pops up again as Tony thinks back to it.
Not only that but we know that Tonys favourite scene from the Godfather is when Michael comes out of the toilet and kills his brothers killer, this is a copy of that scene. We see the members only guy go to the toilet behind Tony.

You don't need to be shown directly, you can put the clues together and know.

He pretty much has though, 2 or 3 times, and then walked back on it when it was pointed out.

The last 30 mins tell you it all.

You think the director allowed the Members Only guy to ruin his shot of AJ coming into Holstens? We are shown the members only guy on purpose (Eugenes had that jacket, personal opinion is I think Eugenes wife had him whacked)
Bobby talks to Tony in a serious and oddly touching boat scene and we are told "At the end, you probably don’t hear anything, everything just goes black" this pops up again as Tony thinks back to it.
Not only that but we know that Tonys favourite scene from the Godfather is when Michael comes out of the toilet and kills his brothers killer, this is a copy of that scene. We see the members only guy go to the toilet behind Tony.

You don't need to be shown directly, you can put the clues together and know.

I don’t think this lad likes clues or having to put things together. Maybe art isn’t for him.

Every scene in the final episode is themed on episode names from season 11. The final scene is members only.

The other side to this for me is if you consider TMSON to be canon, it's inferred that Tony provided for (in no great amounts however) Kelly Moltisanti and the child after Chrissy was killed, so there's an argument he wasn't.

I've said my piece
4 dollars a pound.

The Sopranos broke the mould for television, it asked questions rather than answered them. It wasn't the first to do it but I'd argue it's the one that struck a chord the most and paved the way for the log form storytelling that is so common now. The ending was perfect in that sense imo, it's been nearly 20 years and people are still asking about the ending.

I've not long finished watching it for the first time, after unsuccessfully attempting it a few times over the last couple of decades.

I fortunately didn't have any idea of the ending so wasn't prepared for how it played out, and it was brilliant......inconclusive, but so many permutations, which I think was fitting of the series itself.

I still think the bit with Bobby about not knowing it's happening is the most likely scenario....today!

Back