Solider F

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's what St Patrick's day is all about. Turning one of the most appalling genocides in British and Irish history into one of the greatest celebrations.

I am only trying to correct basic errors on this thread.

There was no famine. The Irish language didn't just die out. There was a prolonged and tyrannical mechanism in place to destroy Ireland.

That is why there are groups in Ireland that still feel strongly about it.

Genocide. :lol:

Did they ever do that?

St Patrick's Day was first made a big celebration in America by the Irish forced to leave their country during the oppressive rule of Britain.

I was born an Irish citizen.

I am not asking for an apology, just that you accept what happened.

The horrors that were perpetrated.

The injustices.

The murders.

The cruelty.

It seems there is a complete rejection of what is extremely well known and accepted as the facts of what happened.

I find it endlessly curious.
Why do you continue to respond to the fact that you are British with the answer "I was born an Irish citizen". It has zero relevance to you being British and hence part of the "genocide".

That's what St Patrick's day is all about. Turning one of the most appalling genocides in British and Irish history into one of the greatest celebrations.

I am only trying to correct basic errors on this thread.

There was no famine. The Irish language didn't just die out. There was a prolonged and tyrannical mechanism in place to destroy Ireland.

That is why there are groups in Ireland that still feel strongly about it.
Good God in Heaven:lol:

St. Patrick's Day is a Catholic festival. It is the celebration of St. Patrick becoming a Saint. St. Patrick who was British brought Christianity to Ireland. He chased the snakes (pagans) from the land and build places of worship. The shamrock ☘ represents the holy trinity.

St. Patrick's Day later became a national holiday. It's a celebration of being Irish and has spread because diaspora. It's got nothing to do with the famine or British rule.

Please stop talking shite to suit your agenda.

St. Patrick's Day is a Catholic festival. It is the celebration of St. Patrick becoming a Saint. St. Patrick who was British brought Christianity to Ireland. He chased the snakes (pagans) from the land and build places of worship. The shamrock ☘ represents the holy trinity.

St. Patrick's Day later became a national holiday. It's a celebration of being Irish and has spread because diaspora. It's got nothing to do with the famine or British rule.

I'm struggling to see what her agenda is unless it is simply to stir up hatred between British and Irish people. Given that she is both British and Irish its a very strange thing to do.

Did they ever do that?

St Patrick's Day was first made a big celebration in America by the Irish forced to leave their country during the oppressive rule of Britain.

I was born an Irish citizen.

I am not asking for an apology, just that you accept what happened.

The horrors that were perpetrated.

The injustices.

The murders.

The cruelty.

It seems there is a complete rejection of what is extremely well known and accepted as the facts of what happened.

I find it endlessly curious.
St Patrick’s day has fuck all to do with the famine. It is a celebration of a religious saint. You keep trying to rewrite history and have been proven wrong time and time again.

The fact that large ex pats in the USA made it a big party is irrelevant. You are trying to paint all English people as genocide supporting monsters.

I know all about how the Irish were treated in the past. The fact that the English working classes were oppressed just as harshly as the working classes of ireland is curious to me. Particularly by a supposed history graduate.

You have Irish citizenship because you applied for it or your parents applied for it after you were born. You were not automatically born Irish. The same way I could as I have applied as my dad was the first child born in England to Irish parents.

My wife is Irish and my kids are English. They could apply for Irish citizenship but it still means they are English.

Your strange hatred of the English for past atrocities despite being English is quite worrying.

It’s worrying.

What’s also worrying is that as a supposed historian she rewrites history.

I’ve never once heard anyone mention the famine when celebrating st pats day :lol:

Last edited:
"Genocide - the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group."

A large group of people were killed to keep Tory & Whig land-owning farmers in their pomp and circumstance.
It wasn't a genocide.

Irish people relied on potatoes. Because of the land acts Irish farmers had only had small plots of land. The only crops they could grow was potatoes. This was especially the case in the south and the west of Ireland where the land was infertile and still is. When the crop failed 3m people were left without food. They couldn't grow anything else. Because of the political and class systems of the time, the poor served the rich. It was the same in Britain.

Britain offered aid relief at the beginning but a change in government meant the aid relief was stopped.

It wasn't a genocide.

Irish people relied on potatoes. Because of the land acts Irish farmers had only had small plots of land. The only crops they could grow was potatoes. This was especially the case in the south and the west of Ireland where the land was infertile and still is. When the crop failed 3m people were left without food. They couldn't grow anything else. Because of the political and class systems of the time, the poor served the rich. It was the same in Britain.

Britain offered aid relief at the beginning but a change in government meant the aid relief was stopped.
Pretty much what the guide at Doagh famine village in Donegal told an American visitor who though the British starved the people of ireland as an act of revenge.

They must have read cat Ryan’s special history books

Pretty much what the guide at Doagh famine village in Donegal told an American visitor who though the British starved the people of ireland as an act of revenge.

They must have read cat Ryan’s special history books
Well that was what we learned in school and what we told at the famine museum a few months back.:lol:

But Cat knows the truth.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back