Solider F

What was that a league table of?

Extraordinary Gentleman.

No point in this.

You come from a side I will always struggle to understand (I was born a Protestant in Belfast in 1975 and joined The Parachute Regiment), and I have little interest in engaging in a debate with someone who is as stubborn in their beliefs as I am.

I'm 44 and happy to be away from that shit.

I was brought up in a toxic environment and as I've come to realise, this type of conversation does nothing to improve it.

The GFA was drawn up to enable both sides to move on.....The British Army should be included.

That's my input and with that, I'm bugging out :cool:

Last edited:
Extraordinary Gentleman.

No point in this.

You come from a side I will always struggle to understand (I was born a Protestant in Belfast in 1975 and joined The Parachute Regiment), and I have little interest in engaging in a debate with someone who is as stubborn in their beliefs as I am.

I'm 44 and happy to be away from that shit.

I was brought up in a toxic environment and as I've come to realise, this type of conversation does nothing to improve it.

The GFA was drawn up to enable both sides to move on.....The British Army should be included.

That's my input and with that, I'm bugging out :cool:

So a league table of what then? :confused:

Seemed that you were classing the British Army as either Terrorists or murderers

It was a simple query not an invitation for your cv.

If Darwin read this thread I’m sure he would admit he was wrong.

The great potato blight. :oops:

Country United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
Location Ireland
Period 1845–1849
Total deaths 1 million
Observations Policy failure, potato blight
Theory Corn Laws, Poor Law Amendment Act, Gregory clause, Encumbered Estates' Court, Crime and Outrage Bill (Ireland) 1847, Young Irelander Rebellion of 1848, Three Fs
Relief see below
Impact on demographics Population fell by 20–25% due to mortality and emigration
Consequences Permanent change in the country's demographic, political and cultural landscape

Location Ireland
Period 1845–1849
Total deaths 1 million
Theory Corn Laws, Poor Law Amendment Act, Gregory clause, Encumbered Estates' Court, Crime and Outrage Bill (Ireland) 1847, Young Irelander Rebellion of 1848, Three Fs
Relief see below
Impact on demographics Population fell by 20–25% due to mortality and emigration
Consequences Permanent change in the country's demographic, political and cultural landscape

You could argue that for the Irish diaspora as a whole (myself included) the consequences have been overwhelmingly positive

You could argue that for the Irish diaspora as a whole (myself included) the consequences have been overwhelmingly positive
That's what St Patrick's day is all about. Turning one of the most appalling genocides in British and Irish history into one of the greatest celebrations.

I am only trying to correct basic errors on this thread.

There was no famine. The Irish language didn't just die out. There was a prolonged and tyrannical mechanism in place to destroy Ireland.

That is why there are groups in Ireland that still feel strongly about it.

Location Ireland
Period 1845–1849
Total deaths 1 million
Relief see below
The corn laws were in place previous to the famine. Blight came and caused the famine and gradually the government lowered the tariffs to get food in. Eventually abolishing it which was the kick start of free trade.
The British never started the famine.

Africans die everyday due to starvation and lack of clean water. We could stop it no doubt but no one blames us.

That's what St Patrick's day is all about. Turning one of the most appalling genocides in British and Irish history into one of the greatest celebrations.

There was no famine. The Irish language didn't just die out. There was a prolonged and tyrannical mechanism in place to destroy Ireland.

They don’t just feel strongly about though.

Last edited:
The corn laws were in place previous to the famine. Blight came and caused the famine and gradually the government lowered the tariffs to get food in. Eventually abolishing it which was the kick start of free trade.
The British never started the famine.

Africans die everyday due to starvation and lack of clean water. We could stop it no doubt but no one blames us.

Only potato crops failed.
There was food a plenty in Ireland. They weren't allowed to have it.
Or go to school hence hedge schools.
Or speak in their own language.
Or vote.
Or do anything except die of starvation. Get murdered or fuck off.

Fair play i was born in England but if Irish Catholic descent though now lapsed but still identify with certain cultural elements. Hate the politics though I have family who are members of armed forces plus family who've lived in the north through the bad days.

These arguments in my humble opinion will rage on - a peace and reconciliation process like happened in post apartheid SA has been attempted.. Mostly the agitation outside inner city Belfast and Derry is confined to internet warriors

St Patrick’s day has fuck all to do with the famine.

You finally got round to using the word genocide I see despite being proved wrong repeatedly throughout this thread.
I’m still waiting for your apology for destroying ireland seeing as you are born and raised in England.

If a lad comes out waiving a white handkerchief to help an injured/dying man and the accused gets down on one knee and puts a bullet through his head, then I'd call that cold blooded.

Dont see how you can argue otherwise tbf.
Cos it's not as if the ira would use underhand tactics like waving a white flag to kill a British soldier is it!
FFS!!

Cos it's not as if the ira would use underhand tactics like waving a white flag to kill a British soldier is it!
FFS!!

Did they ever do that?

St Patrick’s day has fuck all to do with the famine.

You finally got round to using the word genocide I see despite being proved wrong repeatedly throughout this thread.
I’m still waiting for your apology for destroying ireland seeing as you are born and raised in England.

St Patrick's Day was first made a big celebration in America by the Irish forced to leave their country during the oppressive rule of Britain.

I was born an Irish citizen.

I am not asking for an apology, just that you accept what happened.

The horrors that were perpetrated.

The injustices.

The murders.

The cruelty.

It seems there is a complete rejection of what is extremely well known and accepted as the facts of what happened.

I find it endlessly curious.

Last edited:

Back