Solider F

It wasn't a genocide.

Irish people relied on potatoes. Because of the land acts Irish farmers had only had small plots of land. The only crops they could grow was potatoes. This was especially the case in the south and the west of Ireland where the land was infertile and still is. When the crop failed 3m people were left without food. They couldn't grow anything else. Because of the political and class systems of the time, the poor served the rich. It was the same in Britain.

Britain offered aid relief at the beginning but a change in government meant the aid relief was stopped.
Nah mate - you're off message. Every single British person for the last millennia and for ever more hate all Irish people and want to kill every single one of them in cold blood.

We can quote different sources like below until we are blue in the face but I do admire AJP Taylor as a historian.

"The Famine was our Holocaust. During the mid-19th Century, Ireland experienced the worst social and economic disaster a nation could suffer. A quarter of the island's population starved to death or emigrated to escape truly appalling conditions.

The state of the country was such that the renowned British historian, AJP Taylor, declared "all Ireland was a Belsen", a reference to the infamous Nazi concentration camp."

And as much as I hate Blair -

Tony Blair deserves great credit for having the political courage in his first month as British prime minister to apologise for the Famine and to publicly acknowledge that "those who governed in London at the time failed their people".

We can quote different sources like below until we are blue in the face but I do admire AJP Taylor as a historian.

"The Famine was our Holocaust. During the mid-19th Century, Ireland experienced the worst social and economic disaster a nation could suffer. A quarter of the island's population starved to death or emigrated to escape truly appalling conditions.

The state of the country was such that the renowned British historian, AJP Taylor, declared "all Ireland was a Belsen", a reference to the infamous Nazi concentration camp."

Tony Blair deserves great credit for having the political courage in his first month as British prime minister to apologise for the Famine and to publicly acknowledge that "those who governed in London at the time failed their people".
Aye good post.

"Genocide - the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group."

A large group of people were killed to keep Tory & Whig land-owning farmers in their pomp and circumstance.

I’ve heard those mean old Victorians manufactured the potato blight in a lab, then injected it into every field in Ireland.

If you read all of that article it quite rightly puts the blame on a number of influential aristocracy and even recognizes attempts from within the British government to mitigate the disaster. These attempts were even made decades before when it was recognized that the boom in population could lead to this.

But I guess it’s far easier to blame all Brits - even the ones born almost 200 years after the event whose ancestors were also being treated like shit by the same aristocracy - many of whom were also Irish.

Good God in Heaven:lol:

St. Patrick's Day is a Catholic festival. It is the celebration of St. Patrick becoming a Saint. St. Patrick who was British brought Christianity to Ireland. He chased the snakes (pagans) from the land and build places of worship. The shamrock ☘ represents the holy trinity.

St. Patrick's Day later became a national holiday. It's a celebration of being Irish and has spread because diaspora. It's got nothing to do with the famine or British rule.

Please stop talking shite to suit your agenda.

First celebrated with parades in New York by Irish indentured servants and military personnel.

The celebrations we have today stem from that. Not from the celebration of a saints day for religious reasons.
It allowed the Irish to wear green, speak on their mother tongue, play their music etc all of which was punishable under the British.

Well that was what we learned in school and what we told at the famine museum a few months back.:lol:

But Cat knows the truth.:lol:

You're agreeing with me, kind of.

There was no famine.

The Irish were forced to live off potatoes by the British so when the potatoes failed they starved to death.

That isn't a famine.

That's genocide.

Last edited:
First celebrated with parades in New York by Irish indentured servants and military personnel.

The celebrations we have today stem from that. Not from the celebration of a saints day for religious reasons.
It allowed the Irish to wear green, speak on their mother tongue, play their music etc all of which was punishable under the British.

There was no famine.

The Irish were forced to live off potatoes by the British so when the potatoes failed they starved to death.

That isn't a famine.

That's genocide.
Talking nonsense again. St pats day, blue was the original colour of the Irish saints day.

English catholic’s suffered after the reformation as well as the Irish after the English civil war.

The Irish weren’t forced to grow potatoes, they chose to because it was easier to grow them on the lands sub let by Irish landlords.

Visit one of the famine museums in ireland and they will tell you the same.

There was no famine.

That isn't a famine.

That's genocide.

Drivel.

There was no famine.

That isn't a famine.

That's genocide.
You are wrong yet again.

On St Patrick's Day, it is customary to wear shamrocks, green clothing or green accessories. St Patrick is said to have used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pagan Irish. This story first appears in writing in 1726, though it may be older. In pagan Ireland, three was a significant number and the Irish had many triple deities, a fact that may have aided St Patrick in his evangelisation efforts. Patricia Monaghan says there is no evidence that the shamrock was sacred to the pagan Irish. However, Jack Santino speculates that it may have represented the regenerative powers of nature, and was recast in a Christian context‍—‌icons of St Patrick often depict the saint "with a cross in one hand and a sprig of shamrocks in the other". Roger Homan writes, "We can perhaps see St Patrick drawing upon the visual concept of the triskele when he uses the shamrock to explain the Trinity".

The first association of the colour green with Ireland is from the 11th century pseudo-historical book Lebor Gabála Érenn (The Book of the Taking of Ireland), which forms part of the Mythological Cycle in Irish Mythology and describes the story of Goídel Glas who is credited as the eponymous ancestor of the Gaels and creator of the Goidelic languages(Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx). In the story Goídel Glas, who was the son of Scotaand Niul, was bitten by a snake and was saved from death by Moses placing his staff on the snakebite. As a reminder of the incident he would retain a green mark that would stay with him and he would lead his people to a land that would be free of snakes. This is emphasized in his name Goídel which was anglicised to the word Gaelic and Glas which is the Irish word for green. Another story from the Lebor Gabála Érenn written after the adventures of Goídel Glas refers to Íthclimbing the tower (in reference to the Tower of Hercules) his father Breogán builds in Brigantia (modern day Corunna in Galicia, Spain) on a winters day and is so captivated by the sight of a beautiful green island in the distance that he must set sail immediately. This story also introduces three national personifications of Ireland, Banba, Fódla and Ériu. The colour green was further associated with Ireland from the 1640s, when the green harp flag was used by the Irish Catholic Confederation. Green ribbons and shamrocks have been worn on St Patrick's Day since at least the 1680s. The Friendly Brothers of St Patrick, an Irish fraternityfounded in about 1750, adopted green as its colour.However, when the Order of St. Patrick—an Anglo-Irish chivalric order—was founded in 1783 it adopted blue as its colour, which led to blue being associated with St Patrick. During the 1790s, green would become associated with Irish nationalism, due to its use by the United Irishmen. This was a republican organisation—led mostly by Protestants but with many Catholic members—who launched a rebellion in 1798 against British rule. The phrase "wearing of the green" comes from a song of the same name, which laments United Irishmen supporters being persecuted for wearing green. The late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries have seen the re-emergence of Irish cultural symbols, such as the Irish Language, Irish mythology, and the colour green, through the Gaelic Revival and the Irish Literary Revival which served to stir Irish nationalist sentiment. The influence of green was more prominently observable in the flags of the 1916 Easter Rising such as the Sunburst flag, the Starry Plough Banner, and the Proclamation Flag of the Irish Republic which was flown over the General Post Office, Dublintogether with the Irish Tricolour. Throughout these centuries, the colour green and its association with St Patrick's Day grew.

St. Patrick's Day started as a celebration by the Irish diaspora as a celebration of Irish heritage. It came to Ireland after. It became popular during the Gaelige revival in late 18th/19th century. This was a revival of the Irish culture, language and heritage.

So again you have got MY history wrong and continue to use MY history to troll on a Internet forum.

You are not Irish because you weren't born here or lived here. And you certainly weren't educated here.

If you read all of that article it quite rightly puts the blame on a number of influential aristocracy and even recognizes attempts from within the British government to mitigate the disaster. These attempts were even made decades before when it was recognized that the boom in population could lead to this.

But I guess it’s far easier to blame all Brits - even the ones born almost 200 years after the event whose ancestors were also being treated like shit by the same aristocracy - many of whom were also Irish.

>>But I guess it’s far easier to blame all Brits

99.9999% of the Brits have no influence in the actions of the British state - and yet when it goes wrong it's Britain that is guilty i.e. all of us.

I'm reminded of the financial crisis 0f 2008, the Tories refer to it as Labour's Banking crisis (Cameron & Osborne wanted less regulation and said they'd would relax the checks on bankers if they were elected) when it was a world-wide banking crisis caused by the bankers which created £40,000 of debt per household in the UK.

" The former Bank of England governor Mervyn King has denied that the previous Labour government was responsible for the financial crash, saying there was a shared intellectual responsibility across the political parties and financial institutions for failing to foresee the problems.

Saying his view on the cause of the crisis had evolved, he said he doubted any single one country could have found their way through the crisis."

Well I’m waiting for @CatRyan to come on this thread and condemn the actions of the IRA for the killing last night as she so much against this type of thing. And also if she thinks that IRA should hand the person responsible over to authorities for a fair trial. They have claimed responsibility so I’m imagining they know who it was.

Well I’m waiting for @CatRyan to come on this thread and condemn the actions of the IRA for the killing last night as she so much against this type of thing. And also if she thinks that IRA should hand the person responsible over to authorities for a fair trial. They have claimed responsibility so I’m imagining they know who it was.

I'd hold your breath while you are waiting. A

How many times exactly were these shootings investigated again? You train somebody to do as he's told without question and then desert him when the Irish demand justice for something nearly 50 years ago.

I don't remember a string of historical court cases for all the IRA bombings or the cold blooded murders of unarmed off duty soldiers in Germany in the 1980s.

I'd hold your breath while you are waiting. A
I will try. B

How many times exactly were these shootings investigated again? You train somebody to do as he's told without question and then desert him when the Irish demand justice for something nearly 50 years ago.

I don't remember a string of historical court cases for all the IRA bombings or the cold blooded murders of unarmed off duty soldiers in Germany in the 1980s.
He has not been deserted mate.

Away @CatRyan

Last edited:

Back