Socio-economic size relative to football league status

• Thread starter Deleted member 42657
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The below list is the top 12 urban conurbations in England.

If you look at the Premier League table and the top 6 of the Championship they are pretty much all there. Obviously, bigger cities are represented more than once.

I do not think this is any coincidence. In an unregulated capitalist model this is how the money flows.

Relative success of football teams now mirror the socio-economic strength of the urban area they reside in.

This was the inevitable conclusion to the Sky greed fest that started in 1993.
Major Urban Areas
NameAdm.Population
Estimate (E)
2018-06-30
1LondonENG10,620,723
2ManchesterENG2,681,285
3BirminghamENG2,570,990
4LeedsENG1,856,709
5SouthamptonENG900,000
6LiverpoolENG898,070
7NewcastleENG800,665
8NottinghamENG773,371
9SheffieldENG719,273
10BristolENG668,393
11LeicesterENG543,588
12Brighton and HoveENG500,663

Your post has started an interesting discussion. In my view the succesfull teams in football were historically from the larger conurbations. Sky money has changed this. Any team either on low crowds ( Bournemouth ) or poor areas ( Burnley ) can survive in the top flight. However to be really succesfull requires wealthy investors. These people are invariably from overseas. Years ago they would be local mill or factory owners and an important industrial powerhouse such as Sunderland could compete with the best. Even in an era of the maximum wage Sunderland could break the British transfer record and induce players by illegal payments. In fact the clubs of the North had an advantage over London in the Victorian and Edwardian era because footballers were better suited to topping up their wage by taking jobs in manufacturing rather than the clerical professional based jobs that were in the south. As the south became affluent and the north was deindustrialised clubs in the south could charge more for season tickets and attract better sponsorship. Arsenal and Spurs will always now generate massive non sky income in a way they could not 50 year ago. So my conclusion ? Sky has turned football on its head to the extent that any team from any city or town can survive in the top flight but to be really succesfull then a club should be the right location to generate non sky income and wealthy investors. Sunderland and Newcastle are not.

Including Portsmouth in the Southampton conurbation is a totally pisstake. It's like saying Sunderland is a suburb of Newcastle so you should count as the Newcastle urban area.

This measure is bollocks because it includes populations who would never support the PL team nearby
Scum is a small part of hants ... With lots of countryside around it... POMPEY Surrounding areas are all urban or industrial... We got bigger conurbation than the pony lovers..

Your post has started an interesting discussion. In my view the succesfull teams in football were historically from the larger conurbations. Sky money has changed this. Any team either on low crowds ( Bournemouth ) or poor areas ( Burnley ) can survive in the top flight. However to be really succesfull requires wealthy investors. These people are invariably from overseas. Years ago they would be local mill or factory owners and an important industrial powerhouse such as Sunderland could compete with the best. Even in an era of the maximum wage Sunderland could break the British transfer record and induce players by illegal payments. In fact the clubs of the North had an advantage over London in the Victorian and Edwardian era because footballers were better suited to topping up their wage by taking jobs in manufacturing rather than the clerical professional based jobs that were in the south. As the south became affluent and the north was deindustrialised clubs in the south could charge more for season tickets and attract better sponsorship. Arsenal and Spurs will always now generate massive non sky income in a way they could not 50 year ago. So my conclusion ? Sky has turned football on its head to the extent that any team from any city or town can survive in the top flight but to be really succesfull then a club should be the right location to generate non sky income and wealthy investors. Sunderland and Newcastle are not.
Thanks for the perspectives. As you acknowledged it was intended to create debate, as this is a discussion board.

I rarely start a post and it has been stark to notice how many people (unlike yourself) seem to retort with anger and aggression. A lot of people went off on a complete tangent about Newcastle not realising the fundamental difference between city and conurbation populations.

My only contention with your conclusion is that Newcastle and Sunderland could aspire to be above their current station. perhaps Newcastle top half of Premier League and Sunderland competing for Premiership status. Why not? I think both have one considerable (traditional) advantage in that their home support can be more partisan and intimidating than most. The proverbial 12th man is worth a few points.
Thanks for the sarcasm.

We should be proud that our region has a city that does attract people to the centre to enjoy the atmosphere. Although buzzin’ is not a tag-line I would choose.

As an employer in the North East it is tragic that there is a brain drain to the South East. Newcastle is fighting that trend and there has been more inward migration to the city centre than most cities in recent years.

Fortunately, it has not succumbed to the homogeneous charity shops, take aways and discounters that engulfed a lot of high streets in this country.

I’m taking my kids down to see Fenwicks Window and have a go on the Toboggan ride. Might even buy an over priced beer or two at the pop up bar outside Grey’s monument.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s been voted poorest city in UK 5 times out of the last 7 years.

It has yes but it’s bad areas are really bad and I mean really bad. The amount of beggars for a smallish City is ridiculous and there is a huge drug problem in the city centre. The tram system is an absolute must as the road infrastructure is horrendous. Agree about our city centre as well however I don’t really think of sunderland as anything other than a big town.
Voted 👍 must have missed that reference

Thanks. Yes I think that both clubs are underachieving and have the potential to be in the top half of the premier. However they need the right people in charge. Sunderland are in turmoil and hopefully transition and only now for example are sorting out their scouting network.Newcastle are stuck with an owner who will accept mere survival. The problem with fans up here is that most have unrealistic expectations.This I think is a legacy of success in past years when our area was known as the hotbed of soccer .

People need to consider the decline on Wearside under austerity when they vote but some planks will be voting for the private healthcare gang.

People need to consider the decline on Wearside under austerity when they vote but some planks will be voting for the private healthcare gang.
[/QUOT

don’t worry in a first past the post system I’m sure Labour’s seats are secure on Wearside. The only intrigue is it was one of the highest Brexit voting areas in the country.

Which is why it worries me people will go Brexit party. As if Farage or Johnson give a flying shite about the regeneration of Sunderland/ deprived northern towns.

Thanks for the perspectives. As you acknowledged it was intended to create debate, as this is a discussion board.

I rarely start a post and it has been stark to notice how many people (unlike yourself) seem to retort with anger and aggression. A lot of people went off on a complete tangent about Newcastle not realising the fundamental difference between city and conurbation populations.

My only contention with your conclusion is that Newcastle and Sunderland could aspire to be above their current station. perhaps Newcastle top half of Premier League and Sunderland competing for Premiership status. Why not? I think both have one considerable (traditional) advantage in that their home support can be more partisan and intimidating than most. The proverbial 12th man is worth a few points.

Thanks for the sarcasm.

We should be proud that our region has a city that does attract people to the centre to enjoy the atmosphere. Although buzzin’ is not a tag-line I would choose.

As an employer in the North East it is tragic that there is a brain drain to the South East. Newcastle is fighting that trend and there has been more inward migration to the city centre than most cities in recent years.

Fortunately, it has not succumbed to the homogeneous charity shops, take aways and discounters that engulfed a lot of high streets in this country.

I’m taking my kids down to see Fenwicks Window and have a go on the Toboggan ride. Might even buy an over priced beer or two at the pop up bar outside Grey’s monument.

This is the thing though, that's a disadvantage as much as an advantage. If I'm a Saudi billionaire or whatever, if I look at Bournemouth I see a team in the Premier League, where I get to play them against top teams, and I can fly in to London from Dubai or wherever and get to the stadium in a car in 90 mins or a private jet to Bournemouth airport in probably 20 mins, and its by the sea so I can take my private yacht out too for the weekend, and I've got a nice middle class place with nearby golf courses and stuff to take my business partners after games

Last edited:
I think this is flawed... I would check those calculations again..

it’s not a great tbh, but interesting. Thing is, it’s too flawed to be anywhere near an accurate table.
For a start, Liverpool players will be just as near to Manchester sometimes. Likewise, Southampton gets the benefit of being close to London (well an hour on the train).

it’s not a great tbh, but interesting. Thing is, it’s too flawed to be anywhere near an accurate table.
For a start, Liverpool players will be just as near to Manchester sometimes. Likewise, Southampton gets the benefit of being close to London (well an hour on the train).
It's a bigger thing for players at this level tbh, because unlike in the Premier League, there is less incentive to move, a lot of southern based league one and below players literally will not move house. For example Brett Pitman still hasn't moved out of Bournemouth yet in his career, at least one of the Pompey players lives in London.
I heard it's why you couldn't sign Lyle Taylor too, he wanted a lot to leave London

This is the thing though, that's a disadvantage as much as an advantage. If I'm a Saudi billionaire or whatever, if I look at Bournemouth I see a team in the Premier League, where I get to play them against top teams, and I can fly in to London from Dubai or wherever and get to the stadium in a car in 90 mins or a private jet to Bournemouth airport in probably 20 mins, and its by the sea so I can take my private yacht out too for the weekend, and I've got a nice middle class place with nearby golf courses and stuff to take my business partners after games
If you come from the Gulf and are an oil billionaire you have your own jet and can fly wherever the hell you like.

A mysterious Gulf Jet is seen from time to time at Newcastle airport. Some random Sheik who likes to go on a pheasant shoot in Northumberland (apparently).

These people are not looking at the flight schedules between Qatar and Heathrow!
A previous poster commented how remarkable it was how many people have misunderstood the original thread. I fear you have.

At no point was this about players, it was about populations and where the largest (and emerging) fan bases are.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you come from the Gulf and are an oil billionaire you have your own jet and can fly wherever the hell you like.

A mysterious Gulf Jet is seen from time to time at Newcastle airport. Some random Sheik who likes to go on a pheasant shoot in Northumberland (apparently).

These people are not looking at the flight schedules between Qatar and Heathrow!

A previous poster commented how remarkable it was how many people have misunderstood the original thread. I fear you have.

At no point was this about players, it was about populations and where the largest (and emerging) fan bases are.

whys the title say relative to league status then? :lol:

whys the title say relative to league status then? :lol:
Because those areas with the biggest populations have a socio-economic advantage that may (or may not) be translating to a more defined order of things.

What on Earth is proving so difficult to grasp in that thesis. It ultimately is a question posed for discussion.

Because those areas with the biggest populations have a socio-economic advantage that may (or may not) be translating to a more defined order of things.

What on Earth is proving so difficult to grasp in that thesis. It ultimately is a question posed for discussion.

and I answered in a discussive manner, not my fault your knickers are in a twist over that

and I answered in a discussive manner, not my fault your knickers are in a twist over that
You answered talking about players in Liverpool and Manchester which was completely beside the point.

it’s how I interpreted the thread title and even said it was an interesting discussion.No need to get aggressive just because someone offered a different opinion on your thread.
OK, the aggression was not intended. Sometimes written words lack intonation. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back