Socio-economic size relative to football league status

• Thread starter Deleted member 42657
  • Start date

It’s a ludicrous definition. The “urban area” includes Newcastle, Gateshead, north Tyneside and south Tyneside. Last time I checked, South Shields wasn’t part of Newcastle.
See post #15, I pre-emoted your response but entirely disagree. Urban area is much more representative.
Nottingham is one of the poorest cities in the uk. It’s an absolute shit hole.
Massive generalisation, like all cities there is a mix of household income ranges and some very affluent areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it fuck. Ashington is 25 miles away from Newcastle. It has as much to do with Newcastle as Middlesbrough does with Sunderland.
Ashington is not included in the Newcastle urban area in the 800,000.

It would, however, be primarily a Newcastle supporting area.

What is so contentious here?

This seems to have spiralled into a debate about Newcastle (as so many threads on this message board do). That was not my original post.

However, if the contention is that Tyneside does not have an 800,000 population of for that matter that Newcastle United does not have a catchment area of about 800,000 (once Northumberland is included) the numbers suggest otherwise.

This seems to have spiralled into a debate about Newcastle (as so many threads on this message board do). That was not my original post.

However, if the contention is that Tyneside does not have an 800,000 population of for that matter that Newcastle United does not have a catchment area of about 800,000 (once Northumberland is included) the numbers suggest otherwise.
What's Sunderlands urban area out of interest?

What's Sunderlands urban area out of interest?
About 330,000 obviously that includes Washington all the way up to Springwell which always seems a bit ludicrous.

For every South Shields (Tyneside) supporter of Sunderland there is probably a quid pro quo for Washington (Wearside) Newcastle supporters.

In the end the broad conclusion is that Tyneside is twice the population of Wearside.

About 330,000 obviously that includes Washington all the way up to Springwell which always seems a bit ludicrous.

For every South Shields (Tyneside) supporter of Sunderland there is probably a quid pro quo for Washington (Wearside) Newcastle supporters.

In the end the broad conclusion is that Tyneside is twice the population of Wearside.
Of course it includes Washington-Washington is within the city boundaries as are Houghton and Hetton🙄

Of course it includes Washington-Washington is within the city boundaries as are Houghton and Hetton🙄
Yes, you are correct. The city had extended boundaries to achieve government urban development funding in the 1980’s.

The more accurate way of looking at this for the NE teams is the total regional population. We’re relatively isolated so most of the region support one of the two big clubs. The NE has a population of around 2.7m, of which we pull from a good proportion.

If anything, analysing it this way shows even more how much we have underperformed.

Yes, it does include Ashington I’m afraid.

Also suggesting that Newcastle has a catchment area of 800,000 when Northumberland is included is the same as saying Sunderland has a catchment area that includes most of Cumbria. What bollocks.

That’s what makes our crowds all the more remarkable; that’s quite a % of catchment area that we regularly pull in. A well-deserved pat on the back to the regulars!

The more accurate way of looking at this for the NE teams is the total regional population. We’re relatively isolated so most of the region support one of the two big clubs. The NE has a population of around 2.7m, of which we pull from a good proportion.

If anything, analysing it this way shows even more how much we have underperformed.
Great comment. There is no other teams between Teeside and Berwick. The potential is huge.

It is terrible to see kids in other teams replica shirts.
Yes, it does include Ashington I’m afraid.

Also suggesting that Newcastle has a catchment area of 800,000 when Northumberland is included is the same as saying Sunderland has a catchment area that includes most of Cumbria. What bollocks.
I give up. You speak nonsense. I am not sure how you turned this post into a diatribe about Newcastle but it does not reflect well on the insecurities you hold.

The original post was about the size of English conurbations and how more on more how that reflects the football teams in the top 25 places.

Are you denying the validity of that original point.

Don’t give up. The likes of Bournemouth, Burnley and Watford can punch above their weight for a period of time. However, the economics might determine in the long run they are replaced by Leeds, Bristol, Nottingham etc?

Back to your somewhat flawed comments....

All of Northumberland is largely in Newcastle United’s catchment area and that includes some large market towns. Hexham, Morpeth, Alnwick.

Cumbria, is quite different. Indeed I know various folks from those communities and Liverpool and Manchester United Sweep up a lot of their football

Last edited by a moderator:
Partially agree, but it does not include Sunderland in the Newcastle urban area.

It would be true to acknowledge Newcastle support is comes from a much wider distribution than the narrow city limits.

To use the population of the urban area is therefore more accurate as it would include Gateshead all of Tyneside.

At that point you would say that there is people on Tyneside supporting Sunderland. Of course, especially in Jarrow and South Shields.

But then again the 800,000 urban area does not include all those communities in Northumberland reaching out to Hexham, Morpeth all the way up to Berwick.

In the end 50,000 gates are not so remarkable given the wide population it draws from.

Perhaps 25,000 at Burnley is more remarkable given it is in the Greater Manchester area.

Burnley in Greater Manchester. That's like saying Coventry is in Birmingham.

Please read my comment. I said Greater Manchester area. I did not say in Greater Manchester.

I'm from Accrington, 5 miles from Burnley. I think I went to Manchester 3 times in the first 17 years of my life when I lived there. Whilst motorways and car ownership have changed things, there isn't a natural link between Burnley and Manchester in the way that there is from the mill towns surrounding it like Oldham, Rochdale and Bury. You couldn't even get a direct train to Manchester from Burnley until recently.

Manchester is undoubtedly one of the country's major conurbations but it's stretching it to include Burnley.

I'm from Accrington, 5 miles from Burnley. I think I went to Manchester 3 times in the first 17 years of my life when I lived there. Whilst motorways and car ownership have changed things, there isn't a natural link between Burnley and Manchester in the way that there is from the mill towns surrounding it like Oldham, Rochdale and Bury. You couldn't even get a direct train to Manchester from Burnley until recently.

Manchester is undoubtedly one of the country's major conurbations but it's stretching it to include Burnley.
OK you make observed local comments. Again my point was that it was in the Greater Manchester area to infer that people in Burnley may well support either of the two teams from Manchester.

Are you saying that does not happen?

The point it really does not happen in the North East. For the most part a large populous of people make a binary choice black or red.
:lol:

You would seem to be replying to your own posts as if you're someone else mate.

Remember to switch accounts next time.

;)
No I forgot to link the post above!

Back