Soccer Aid

A charity needs as much experience and capability as any other organisation if it is to be successful.

Why would you limit it because it couldn’t attract the right people.

People generally earn less and often have to go beyond the call of duty more than in a conventional organisation. But they still need to live, still need to pay for a home etc etc.
Call it a necessary evil if you must but it’s not just about running cake stalls with volunteers...many charities are serious complex organisations and need the appropriate expertise to run them successfully.

The ideal scenario is you have a large % of volunteers and people dedicating their time/expertise because they can and it’s all held together by salaried personnel who work full time.

Concurred.

But seeing people living a lavish lifestyle from their ‘charity’ work sticks in the throat. Locally and nationally.

I have many in mind but won’t name them.

Concurred.

But seeing people living a lavish lifestyle from their ‘charity’ work sticks in the throat. Locally and nationally.

I would be interested in who you mean. I find the topic interesting. When it comes to giving your time to a charity, if there are people on unreasonable salaries... that would put me off, what’s unreasonable? I guess people being paid as much as they might if they worked in a profit focused environment where shareholders make the real money.

But I can see the scenario where senior executives of large complex charities will earn six figure sums.

What I would hate to see is hospitality, dinners, cars etc any benefits in kind excepting pension contributions

Concurred.

Interesting point.

I was in a charity golf day years ago at Ramside , I won’t mention name but it was a little fat bald professional Geordie who headed it , surrounded by his hangers on , also the band who played that night was headed by his son.

Iirc , out of the total raised only about 10% nett of “expenses” ended up in the charity coffers.

Never went the next year for obvious reasons.

I would be interested in who you mean. I find the topic interesting. When it comes to giving your time to a charity, if there are people on unreasonable salaries... that would put me off, what’s unreasonable? I guess people being paid as much as they might if they worked in a profit focused environment where shareholders make the real money.

But I can see the scenario where senior executives of large complex charities will earn six figure sums.

What I would hate to see is hospitality, dinners, cars etc any benefits in kind excepting pension contributions
I worked for a prestigious charity for 7 years. As I got closer to the top I was disgusted by how people were more interested in using it for their “legacies” or just a guaranteed salary without really having to do much (basically because no-one ever felt acceptable criticising a mental health charity) and eventually left because of it. I know a fair number of folk who have observed the same. But like politics really, the real work is done at the coal face and the higher ups do nothing but take the credit and the power and the benefits.

Interesting point.

I was in a charity golf day years ago at Ramside , I won’t mention name but it was a little fat bald professional Geordie who headed it , surrounded by his hangers on , also the band who played that night was headed by his son.

Iirc , out of the total raised only about 10% nett of “expenses” ended up in the charity coffers.

Never went the next year for obvious reasons.

So, when you say you never went the next year, you actually mean you said, 'auf weidersehen' to the event?... ;)

Back