So, barn owls ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The bird commonly known as a Barn Owl will have evolved long before Barns of any sort were invented, unless the birds themselves invented them as houses and Humans took them over to keep straw in

Yes, but there was a time when they were around yet no English speaking humans existed.

Therefore they wouldn't have been called anything except 'food' ;)

I used to live in an area where they were quite common, they are without doubt silent killers, just as dusk falls, beautiful and deadly
Aw man you’ve set me off now, I’ll be on all night jumping from barn owls to a Kurdish herding dog before I hit the sack :lol:

From Wikipedia:-

The bird is known by many common names which refer to its appearance, call, habitat, or its eerie, silent flight: white owl, silver owl, demon owl, ghost owl, death owl, night owl, rat owl, church owl, cave owl, stone owl, monkey-faced owl, hissing owl, hobgoblin or hobby owl, dobby owl, white-breasted owl, golden owl, scritch owl, screech owl, straw owl, barnyard owl, and delicate owl.[2][5] "Golden owl" might also refer to the related golden masked owl (T. aurantia). "Hissing owl" and, particularly in the UK and in India, "screech owl", refers to the piercing calls of these birds.

Aw man you’ve set me off now, I’ll be on all night jumping from barn owls to a Kurdish herding dog before I hit the sack :lol:

From Wikipedia:-

The bird is known by many common names which refer to its appearance, call, habitat, or its eerie, silent flight: white owl, silver owl, demon owl, ghost owl, death owl, night owl, rat owl, church owl, cave owl, stone owl, monkey-faced owl, hissing owl, hobgoblin or hobby owl, dobby owl, white-breasted owl, golden owl, scritch owl, screech owl, straw owl, barnyard owl, and delicate owl.[2][5] "Golden owl" might also refer to the related golden masked owl (T. aurantia). "Hissing owl" and, particularly in the UK and in India, "screech owl", refers to the piercing calls of these birds.
Monkey faced owl? That's a strange name, I like the sound of hobby owl, though.

Yes, but there was a time when they were around yet no English speaking humans existed.

Therefore they wouldn't have been called anything except 'food' ;)

Do you agree that at some point there were the birds, humans, humans that could speak and no Barns ? If so, what were the birds called ?

Welcome back Rivs, I've often thought when you get a warning or ban then it should be made clear to you why you got it.
Anyway the place I go to in Greece has an owl or owls living in a big tree opposite our balcony. On an evening l've been laid on the bed with the balcony doors open and an owl has landed on the balcony railings. I don't know how long they live or whether it's the same one but it happens every year.
I'm surprised how small they are.

Source? ;)

Seriously, I'd have thought the first humans to speak English would've had barns .... I'm not simply being contrary.

Wiki reckons English was first spoken in medieval times ..... Barn style houses
Not sure whether this is best here or on the Things I Learned Today thread. Never realised how widespread the barn owl is. Found more or less everywhere other than the polar regions so I guess it has lots of names, ancient and modern in many languages, ancient and modern.

Source ? are you purposely misunderstanding for comic effect ?

Well yeah, that's the reason for adding a ;) to Source?

The rest of the first explains my original comment.

For anyone who's interested we have bee hives arriving in June.

A local woman is bringing them and will be looking after them, she has all the knowledge and experience but no suitable land.

We've just planted out a lavender field, in the meadow, and will be putting in whatever plants & flowers she wants.

She'll give us a percentage of honey and we're planning to have labels printed so we can give jars to visitors.

We know nowt about bees but we're hoping she can teach us as time goes by ..... we could have our own swarm in time and train them as attack bees :lol:

Last edited:
Not sure whether this is best here or on the Things I Learned Today thread. Never realised how widespread the barn owl is. Found more or less everywhere other than the polar regions so I guess it has lots of names, ancient and modern in many languages, ancient and modern.
Not many barns for them there. are there igloo owls?

Well yeah, that's the reason for adding a ;) to Source?

The rest of the first explains my original comment.

For anyone who's interested we have bee hives arriving in June.

A local woman is bringing them and will be looking after them, she has all the knowledge and experience but no suitable land.

We've just planted out a lavender field, in the meadow, and will be putting in whatever plants & flowers she wants.

She'll give us a percentage of honey and we're planning to have labels printed so we can give jars to visitors.

We know nowt about bees but we're hoping she can teach us as time goes by ..... we could have our own swarm in time and train them as attack bees :lol:
Get in! Love bees, me.

Would love to keep a hive, but our lass isn't so keen.

They love lavender, and in particular, purple flowers in general, I'm lead to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back