So a bloke with his wife and daughter walk into a bar in Amble...

So the other two escaped and left those two to take the rap for a 4 man beating?
And yet the two left are done for affray and public order?

37 offences could've been anything throughout his life. None for violence...right or don't you know?

Not in this case, no.

Nothing to do with postcodes or what team a person supports. This applies to anyone.

In drink, those lines get crossed depending on the opponent. Even without a drink but drink certainly offers a person potentially much more aggression and overstepping the mark in an altercation.

If only life was like that.
So what 37 offences would you class as okay? Just so I know the type of bloke I’m talking to?

It sounds like the two who did get charged didn’t get caught. Unles you know different.

Life is like that. If you are prepared to punch someone in front of your own or your opponents (as you put it) wife or children then you deserve a custodial sentence. That’s my point. We know it’s not always the way it is that’s why they should be locked up.
There’s no doubt in my mind that they will feel they got away with it. You even said yourself that they will have been expecting jail. You actually said that so did the judge. Why would they be expecting jail if it was nowt.

Targeting of an individual by a group, use of extreme violence (without weapons), intention to cause fear of violence. Found guilty of affray, custodial sentence between 2 and 2.9 years. It's only through luck the bloke wasn't left either dead or with life changing injuries.
The completely pathetic backward and outdated reasons for picking a fight in the first place should have been an aggravating factor as well. Blokes should have been happy that tourists were spending their hard earned in their scruffy little local boozer not kicking fuck out of them for being ‘out the area’. It’s hard to believe this sort of shite still goes on in the 21st century. Based on the absolute state of this incident I’d happily wager some of the older gadgies 37 convictions will likely include some other form of hate crime and throwing rocks at the moon.

So what 37 offences would you class as okay? Just so I know the type of bloke I’m talking to?
I don't class any offences as ok.
I don't class the attack as ok.
What constitutes an offence and what is deemed an acceptable offence?

Also, when should 37 offences be used to condemn someone for a separate offence?
If you punched someone and went to court would you be happy if the papers had you down as having 37 other offences but not mentioned, even if they were just 37 parking tickets or a few speeding fines...etc?

His may not be anything like that but how do we know?

It sounds like the two who did get charged didn’t get caught. Unles you know different.
I don't know different but then again do you know this to be true or maybe they weren't actively involved enough to warrant charges.
Life is like that. If you are prepared to punch someone in front of your own or your opponents (as you put it) wife or children then you deserve a custodial sentence.
That actually depends on the situation.
If people were sent to jail for punching someone there would need to be as many jails built as there is today.
That’s my point. We know it’s not always the way it is that’s why they should be locked up.
I think they are punished far worse than a short sentence of prison.
There’s no doubt in my mind that they will feel they got away with it.
Maybe they did in terms of avoiding jail but I think what they've been given is a much bigger punishment and lesson.
You even said yourself that they will have been expecting jail.
Of course. A judge would have told them it would not be ruled out and their solicitor would likely tell them to expect that potential of jail time.
You actually said that so did the judge. Why would they be expecting jail if it was nowt.
Because they were under that threat to ensure they are under no illusions.
They served over 2 years with that on their minds. Then 18 months in prison on top, suspended for two years, plus 200 hours unpaid work and £500 compensation. This is why I said it was all fair punishment for what happened.

I don't class any offences as ok.
I don't class the attack as ok.
What constitutes an offence and what is deemed an acceptable offence?

Also, when should 37 offences be used to condemn someone for a separate offence?
If you punched someone and went to court would you be happy if the papers had you down as having 37 other offences but not mentioned, even if they were just 37 parking tickets or a few speeding fines...etc?

His may not be anything like that but how do we know?

I don't know different but then again do you know this to be true or maybe they weren't actively involved enough to warrant charges.

That actually depends on the situation.
If people were sent to jail for punching someone there would need to be as many jails built as there is today.

I think they are punished far worse than a short sentence of prison.

Maybe they did in terms of avoiding jail but I think what they've been given is a much bigger punishment and lesson.

Of course. A judge would have told them it would not be ruled out and their solicitor would likely tell them to expect that potential of jail time.

Because they were under that threat to ensure they are under no illusions.
They served over 2 years with that on their minds. Then 18 months in prison on top, suspended for two years, plus 200 hours unpaid work and £500 compensation. This is why I said it was all fair punishment for what happened.
I give in. You are impermeable

I give in. You are impermeable
I’ve got that poster on ignore. It just became too tedious. I can see other posters replying, mostly despairing, but I can’t see anything that poster has written.

I think I only have him/her on ignore. Even my stalkers aren’t on ignore. They sometimes contribute sensible posts. But this one…. He/She’s not right like. 😀

Last edited:
I’ve got that poster on ignore. It just became too tedious. I can see other posters replying, mostly despairing, but I can’t see anything that poster has written.

I think I only have him/her on ignore. Even my stalkers aren’t on ignore. They sometimes contribute sensible posts. But this one…. He’s not right like. 😀
Well you all know I like an argument, this is actually the first time on here Ive had to concede due to the fact that I know no matter what I say it won’t change his mind or that I’m even sure he’s arguing the same point as me. He’s questioning facts that are there in black and white and he’s actually posted.

Well you all know I like an argument, this is actually the first time on here Ive had to concede due to the fact that I know no matter what I say it won’t change his mind or that I’m even sure he’s arguing the same point as me. He’s questioning facts that are there in black and white and he’s actually posted.
It’s this type of tribalism that started the whole brawl in the first place 😂

Clearly a knacker because parking tickets aren’t convictions 😂
Exactly. But it was pointless pointing that out.
And questioned why they should be brought up in court. Erm, that’s what they do with criminal records. Never mind, he’ll be used to the slap on the wrists by now.
Only 37 prior convictions and the fact you can hold a job down stops you going to jail for punching someone to the ground and repeatedly kicking them. Class.

At least I know what an apologist is now.

Last edited:
They were charged.
They had to wait 2 years to get a fair trial.
They were likely told they could get a custodial sentence well before the court so had to live with that hanging over them. I'd say a sentence in itself.
That's down to the Tories continual underfunding of the court system, and should have no bearing on the sentence handed down.
Jailing someone for 6 months creates an immediate short sharp shock for a while and then they're into the system.
In that short space of time, it could be life-changing in many many ways, not just for them but for their families and most of it not good.
And that is a consequence of their own actions, they chose to assault a man, they have to face the consequences.
The victim escaped relatively unharmed.
Fuck me, by that logic I should be able to just walk up to you and give you a clip and it'd be fine.

Last edited:
Should all 4 have been imprisoned?
The damage is minimal and the bloke says he's lost confidence.
So who goes to jail? The 62-year-old or his son or both or all 4?

I say they got a fair sentence based on the info given.

They were charged.
They had to wait 2 years to get a fair trial.
They were likely told they could get a custodial sentence well before the court so had to live with that hanging over them. I'd say a sentence in itself.

As I said before. 18 months in prison suspended for 2 years and ordered them both to do 200 hours of unpaid community work...a curfew and also £500 each compensation to the victim.

That's two convicted out of 4.
What part did the others play?

The two got a fair sentence.

You say a custodial sentence after all of that so what sentence would you think would be fair?

It seems only two were prosecuted...but....you say they'd do it again. They might do it again but to do so would gain them a long custodial sentence which they would deserve.

In this case, it says 4 but only two dealt with unless I'm missing something.

I agree 2 onto 1 or 3 or 4 or 5...whatever... is cowardly.
Violence in itself is not to be tolerated but there has to be a fair setup for the actions and I think this was a fair punishment.
They had to wait 2 years for trial, so what!
Do we know why it took so long?
Perhaps they were all denying it.
Perhaps they were delaying the process.
Perhaps the Police were incompetent again.
Obviously we don’t know, or at least I don’t.
I have seen elsewhere, again not sure if true, that one had +30 previous convictions but, as none were GBH, managed to avoid jail.
Overall I see this as sending a message. The message is that 4 people attacking someone, regardless of whatever none violent provocation took place, will simply result in a ‘ticking off’.
Perhaps you have more insight into the case than I do. If so fair enough.
On what I have read, in my opinion, they should all be in jail.
I believe that the best predictor of the future is the past. They will do it again and, in all probability, be given yet another chance simply because they were shitting themselves waiting for trial or because they achieved the incredible task of holding down a job.

Back