SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Thought Djokovic's best set there was funnily enough the one he lost 6-0. Actually tried to play tennis. Margin for error got less and less as the match went on. What's the point in trying to slap winner after winner against Nadal on a slow clay court? Bizarre really. Beaten him seven times on clay and not once like that.

He's got over the line in a few of them unlike her but his big match play over the last 18 months is similar to Serena's last few years.

Strange.

Thought Djokovic's best set there was funnily enough the one he lost 6-0. Actually tried to play tennis. Margin for error got less and less as the match went on. What's the point in trying to slap winner after winner against Nadal on a slow clay court? Bizarre really. Beaten him seven times on clay and not once like that.

He's got over the line in a few of them unlike her but his big match play over the last 18 months is similar to Serena's last few years.

Strange.
Thought he played best in the last set personally, cut the errors down and served better - nadals level did dip slightly ( but it had to, couldn't be at the first two set level throughout).
Last set was what I and I think most people were expecting.

He isn't peak Djokovic anymore thats the problem, he is still good enough to get to most finals and beat most but he isn't head and shoulders above the rest anymore, lost to Thiem in the semis of the French last year, how he won that Wimbledon final last year I will never know, was two sets and a break down before retiring in the US open last year, Thiem pushed him all the way in Australia and he was demolished today. Was madness how people were writing off Nadal and saying Djokovic would win the French based on that daft warm up tournament they played a few weeks ago that Nadal couldn't have cared less about.

He isn't peak Djokovic anymore thats the problem, he is still good enough to get to most finals and beat most but he isn't head and shoulders above the rest anymore, lost to Thiem in the semis of the French last year, how he won that Wimbledon final last year I will never know, was two sets and a break down before retiring in the US open last year, Thiem pushed him all the way in Australia and he was demolished today. Was madness how people were writing off Nadal and saying Djokovic would win the French based on that daft warm up tournament they played a few weeks ago that Nadal couldn't have cared less about.
Dont, it still hurts now :cry:

Class that from Nadal I think he will end up with more slams than Federer but I had always expected Djokovic to end up with the most slams making himself the goat but I am not so sure now. His slam record away from his strongest surface hardcourt is good but not spectacular in only winning 6 non hardcourt slams. He has always had a massive advantage over Federer and Nadal in that he gets two slams a year on his best surface, however I think with the likes of Thiem amongst others finally looking a big threat the Australian won't be such a gimme for him anymore, he can only win the French if he somehow avoids Nadal and Thiem which is almost impossible. Wimbledon may be his best bet as Federer will almost be 40 by next year and none of the younger players seem to be able to play on grass to a high level, he never dominates the US open like he does in Australia so cant count on winning more of them, Nadal for me now looks favourite to win the most slams and go down as the goat if he stays fit, he is still unbeatable in the French and always does well in America.
When you look at it properly, I think Rod Laver is actually the greatest. His record is something else.

Draw for the first Slam of the year's out. Relatively speaking that's a tough draw for Djokovic and not the easiest post round 3 for Nadal.

Azarenka at 30's on betfair my only punt at the minute. Fuck nars really looking at that draw, if it's not Osaka or Barty and you predict the winner then fair play.

Evo in a semi final tonight, favourite against Chardy. Would play Felix or Moutet in the final should he win for his first title. Beat Borna Coric last night which is an impressive little win after Coric beat Kyrgios.

Eurosport player currently 99p for the month for anyone else working from home who is planning on ruining their sleeping pattern watching tennis in the next fortnight https://auth.eurosportplayer.com/product

Had a few quid on Thiem , he is 9/1 with SkyBet which is crazy value , he is better on a hard court than everyone now bar Djokovic and he came close to beating him last year. I don’t think Djokovic is at the same level as he once was and is certainly beatable now.

Had a few quid on Thiem , he is 9/1 with SkyBet which is crazy value , he is better on a hard court than everyone now bar Djokovic and he came close to beating him last year. I don’t think Djokovic is at the same level as he once was and is certainly beatable now.
Nadal is injured as well.

Interviewer just mentioned Tomic's name in Shapo's interview because they play each other next and the crowd booed :lol: Shapo then said 'It will be a tough match, Tomic's no joke' and they started laughing :lol:

Poor Bernie.

Interviewer just mentioned Tomic's name in Shapo's interview because they play each other next and the crowd booed :lol: Shapo then said 'It will be a tough match, Tomic's no joke' and they started laughing :lol:

Poor Bernie.

I don't think Bernie's girlfriend's lockdown video which went viral can have helped him (amongst many other things).

I don't think Bernie's girlfriend's lockdown video which went viral can have helped him (amongst many other things).

I do feel sorry for her, she'll probably have to wash her hair by herself again now he's got another match to practice for.

This was the headline on one of Australia's biggest news websites after Tomic won the other day :lol: The 23rd retirement that's occurred during a match in Tomic's career apparently, only the second time it's not him.

Logon or register to see this image

Back