SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Alex Zverez looked particularly impressive these past few days in winning the Citi Open, Washington. Makarova won the women's Washington event in 3 sets vs Julia Georges. Keys beat Vandeweghe in straight sets (7-6, 6-4) to win Stanford but has since pulled out of this weeks Premier 5 tournament in Toronto.

Heather Watson qualified for Toronto yesterday but retired at 6-1, 4-1 against Naomi Osaka with a shoulder injury, but of a damp squib really and shit for the fans as it just wasn't a match. Kyrgios had a comfortable straight sets win in the men's equivalent in Montreal.

Just seen the BBC etc. reports. What does the full report add/suggest?

There's so much in there that I'm not sure I can even make sense of it all.

She failed the test in February but was then allowed to keep playing (I don't understand why this was allowed) and wasn't tested again until June. They can't find evidence of continued usage of the medication with a hair sample, but they also rejected evidence from Errani's doctor that her urine sample showed that she didn't take it regularly because the level found was 'as consistent with someone coming down from a period of regular use as it is with a single accidental ingestion'. They were 'satisfied albeit only just' with her reason as to how she might have come into contact with it, so they've only given her a two month ban. I'm not sure how someone can accidentally drop a pill into a pot of broth and not realise when it's medication for something so serious that you're taking it every day.

May or may not have any relevance, but back in 2012 she started working with one of the doctors that was previously on Lance Armstrong's medical team (WTA specifically asked their players not to work with him). She then went from a mediocre player to someone who reached the top 5 and a Grand Slam final in the space of a few months.

Errani's broth concoction, Gasquet's cocaine inhaling kiss with a woman that nobody has been able to prove exists and Troicki's one time phobia of needles preventing him from having a drug test. Some tennis players have absolutely no luck at all.

She failed the test in February but was then allowed to keep playing (I don't understand why this was allowed) and wasn't tested again until the end of June. They can't find evidence of continued usage of the medication with a hair sample, but they also rejected evidence from Errani's doctor that her urine sample showed that she didn't take it regularly because the level found was 'as consistent with someone coming down from a period of regular use as it is with a single accidental ingestion'. They were 'satisfied albeit only just' with her reason as to how she might have come into contact with it, so they've only given her a two month ban. I'm not sure how someone can accidentally drop a pill into a pot of broth and not realise when it's medication for something so serious that you're taking it every day.

May or may not have any relevance, but back in 2012 she started working with one of the doctors that was previously on Lance Armstrong's medical team (WTA specifically asked their players not to work with him). She then went from a mediocre player to someone who reached the top 5 and a Grand Slam final in the space of a few months.

Errani's broth concoction, Gasquet's cocaine inhaling kiss with a woman that nobody has been able to prove exists and Troicki's one time phobia of needles preventing him from having a drug test. Some tennis players have absolutely no luck at all.

Hmmm....

She failed the test in February but was then allowed to keep playing (I don't understand why this was allowed) and wasn't tested again until June. They can't find evidence of continued usage of the medication with a hair sample, but they also rejected evidence from Errani's doctor that her urine sample showed that she didn't take it regularly because the level found was 'as consistent with someone coming down from a period of regular use as it is with a single accidental ingestion'. They were 'satisfied albeit only just' with her reason as to how she might have come into contact with it, so they've only given her a two month ban. I'm not sure how someone can accidentally drop a pill into a pot of broth and not realise when it's medication for something so serious that you're taking it every day.

Doesn't sound great.

Just caught up on Toronto now, gutted Ostapenko went out, enjoyable match. Edmond into a deciding set with Ferrer, on serve.
I suppose at least he snuck in to the tournament but another early exit for Edmund.

Interesting to see how Zverev goes this week, looked solid winning in Washington.
It will be, you'd imagine he'd be by far the most likely to stop a Nadal Federer final from happening. Good to see Nick get a comfortable straight sets win in as well.

Very good women's schedule today as well starting at 4pm on BT1 - looking forward to seeing CiCi Bellis again although the Radwanska - Vandeweghe match looks best on paper.

Caroline not on til about 3am Danish times @alexander - one of two late matches.

Konta starts her campaign tomorrow against the winner of Peng vs Makarova.

Crowd are loving this Shapovalov game. Just turned it over but apparently the Brazil lad had 4 match points but gone to a final set.

I see the big guns play tomorrow.

Crowd are loving this Shapovalov game. Just turned it over but apparently the Brazil lad had 4 match points but gone to a final set.

I see the big guns play tomorrow.

As usual I've been mainly watching BT - another very good win for CiCi Bellis and Bouchard continues to disappoint.

Be good if Denis does win though, hopefully he has a good future. Bit of a mixed bag so far with the Nxt Gen guys - Tiafoe and Kachanov out but Coric through. Medvedev out the other other day. Yeah, be good to see Fed and Rafa return tomorrow as well as young Zverev.

As usual I've been mainly watching BT - another very good win for CiCi Bellis and Bouchard continues to disappoint.

Be good if Denis does win though, hopefully he has a good future. Bit of a mixed bag so far with the Nxt Gen guys - Tiafoe and Kachanov out but Coric through. Medvedev out the other other day. Yeah, be good to see Fed and Rafa return tomorrow as well as young Zverev.

Just served out the match. The commentators were really hyping him like. Interesting times and be good to get new faces starting to reach the latter stages of tournaments.

Couple of good matches tonight - Zverev vs Kyrgios and Shapovalov vs Nadal, shame both are on around and after midnight - that could be a problem at the US Open.

Really looking forward to that tonight. Would love to see Kyrgios beat him again. I'm a big Zverev fan but Kyrgios could do with a boost.

If you didn't see Monfils v Nishikori yesterday have a look at the last few points of the match.

Really looking forward to that tonight. Would love to see Kyrgios beat him again. I'm a big Zverev fan but Kyrgios could do with a boost.

If you didn't see Monfils v Nishikori yesterday have a look at the last few points of the match.

Yeah, I did actually catch that tie break (only part of the match), was pretty crazy. Poor Kei, ha.

Class stuff from Shapovalov this week, hopefully he gets through this third set against Mannarino.

Pretty unpredictable week overall apart from the predictable Federer progression, Can't believe a player as poor as Haase awaits in the SF of a masters event.

Can see Anderson taking out a tired Zverev tonight and probably beating Shapovalov/Mannarino to lose to Fed in the final.

Back