SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Thought it would have been her fourth WTA final this year if she won today, turns out it is her fifth. No wonder no other player on the WTA have won more games than our Caroline this year. Looking forward to the US Open even more now. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_WTA_Finals

She's moved up to 7th in the 'Race to Singapore' with that final appearance, she will get another 100 points if she wins tomorrow. Still loads of points to play for with a Grand Slam and a few Premier 5 / Mandatory tournaments to come, although the US hard court season is traditionally Caroline's strongest period. I'd be happy if the current 8 made the finals.

Last edited:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_WTA_Finals

She's moved up to 7th in the 'Race to Singapore' with that final appearance, she will get another 100 points if she wins tomorrow. Still loads of points to play for with a Grand Slam and a few Premier 5 / Mandatory tournaments to come, although the US hard court season is traditionally Caroline's strongest period. I'd be happy if the current 8 made the finals.

I think I may miss the last few days of the US Open this year as I will be back in the NE by then but it does seem like Caroline's best change to win a Grand Slam and if she gets as far as to her third Open Final I shall do all I can to find a pub with the match on. Might even pack a lil' flag just in case. :)

A Konta v Caroline final down the pub in Seaburn with the match on. I would get thrown out. :lol:

Or they will minimum ban me from the jukebox.

Last edited:
That was really bad :lol: but Edmund's into his second ATP semi final. Probably be underdog in the odds, be close though. I'd imagine he'll get beat like.

I see Sloane Stephens has moved on from Jack Sock and is now seeing our former American superstar striker :eek::lol:

Did you get to watch that match mate or just follow the result? I came back from a night out and was gonna watch it but i saw there was nowt on Eurosport (or Sky Sports). I even recorded highlights this morning but it was just the Muller and Isner games from earlier so still not seen it although it sounds as though i didn't miss much.

I see his semi is live on Eurosport tonight at midnight so will watch at least the first set and depending on how it's going, record the conclusion to watch in the morning.

Did you get to watch that match mate or just follow the result? I came back from a night out and was gonna watch it but i saw there was nowt on Eurosport (or Sky Sports). I even recorded highlights this morning but it was just the Muller and Isner games from earlier so still not seen it although it sounds as though i didn't miss much.

I see his semi is live on Eurosport tonight at midnight so will watch at least the first set and depending on how it's going, record the conclusion to watch in the morning.

Yeah I saw most of it, turned off towards the end to go to bed. Sock went up a break early on then someone in the crowd collapsed and they had about a half hour break for that to be sorted. Just seemed to completely do Sock in. Only won one game in the rest of the match after and looked like he completely tanked the second set. Edmund looked injured as well. Was a weird match.

Yeah I saw most of it, turned off towards the end to go to bed. Sock went up a break early on then someone in the crowd collapsed and they had about a half hour break for that to be sorted. Just seemed to completely do Sock in. Only won one game in the rest of the match after and looked like he completely tanked the second set. Edmund looked injured as well. Was a weird match.

Was that via TennisTV, or some kind of stream / kodi or did I just miss it on genuine UK TV? That doesn't bode well for his upcoming match next, are you going to watch that one?

I see there's a battle of the Mayer's in the German final tomorrow. The US Open series about to get into full swing as well soon, this is the best time of the tennis calendar IMO :cool:

Good thread TBL.

I actually predicted Leo Mayer to win in Hamburg this week but didn't put any money on it (66/1) :(

I watch men's tennis on a weekly basis and prefer the 500s and 250s over the big events. The first week of grand slams are class as well. It all gets too predictable in the 1000s and latter stages of grand slams. There might be a surprise in there but you know what the end result is going to be a lot of the time. I barely watched Wimbledon with it being obvious for weeks that Federer was going to win it.

Shows what a all-time great Djokovic is that he's been able to stop Federer so often in the last six years.

Edmond lost in 3 sets to Ryan Harrison in the early hours, a bit disappointing after taking the first set. Again, was looking a bit injured towards the end.

A few finals today:

Didn't see it, but just saw Peng Shuai has won the Jiangxi Open, beating Habino in straight sets. BT were covering this tournament but once Harriet Dart predictably went out early, i wasn't following this one.

Caroline Wozniacki takes on Katerina Siniakova in the Swedish Open final, BT Sport 2 at 1pm

Leo Mayer takes on Florian Mayer in the German Open final, Sky Sports Arena at 2pm

John Isner takes on Ryan Harrison in the Atlanta Open final, Eurosport 1 at 10pm

Good thread TBL.

I actually predicted Leo Mayer to win in Hamburg this week but didn't put any money on it (66/1) :(

I watch men's tennis on a weekly basis and prefer the 500s and 250s over the big events. The first week of grand slams are class as well. It all gets too predictable in the 1000s and latter stages of grand slams. There might be a surprise in there but you know what the end result is going to be a lot of the time. I barely watched Wimbledon with it being obvious for weeks that Federer was going to win it.

Shows what a all-time great Djokovic is that he's been able to stop Federer so often in the last six years.

Yeah i can see why you would prefer those when following the men's. A chance to see some promising youngsters on a regular basis like Rublev the other day, plus should be a much more competitive field and less predictable. It's not really the same with the women's because the field is much more wide open especially without Serena - there were 14 people 14/1 or under to win the US Open when i last checked and while the likes of Halep, Wozniakcki and Pliskova do seem to get to the latter stages of a lot of the non slam tour events, plus Svitolina with her 4 tour wins in 2017, they are a lot less unpredictable. Muguruza for example has won 2 slams since her last tour title in 2015.

Last edited:
Was that via TennisTV, or some kind of stream / kodi or did I just miss it on genuine UK TV? That doesn't bode well for his upcoming match next, are you going to watch that one?

I see there's a battle of the Mayer's in the German final tomorrow. The US Open series about to get into full swing as well soon, this is the best time of the tennis calendar IMO :cool:

I just use bet365 most of the time now. They've got streams for about 95-99% tennis matches at challenger level and ATP & WTA tournaments. Can't watch them in full screen which isn't great.

I had Tennis TV for a few years but they messed about with the membership packages and lost all WTA matches for this year without reducing the price so I ditched it. WTA wanted to make a streaming service for themselves so cut ties and announced their service the other day, seven months later than they were supposed to. Looks like they'll have every single tournament other than the slams streamed though so that might interest you. Not sure on the prices though and we get quite a bit shown on BT over here so don't know if it'll be worth it.

Watched most of the Edmund match last night but went to bed at the end of the second set so obviously didn't see the end. He did alright from what I saw. Had a good end to last year so I imagine he'll have a decent chunk of points to defend so might see his ranking drop soon.

Was gonna ask if you were tuning in @alexander but just seen the weather there so not expecting play any time soon.

I just use bet365 most of the time now. They've got streams for about 95-99% tennis matches at challenger level and ATP & WTA tournaments. Can't watch them in full screen which isn't great.

I had Tennis TV for a few years but they messed about with the membership packages and lost all WTA matches for this year without reducing the price so I ditched it. WTA wanted to make a streaming service for themselves so cut ties and announced their service the other day, seven months later than they were supposed to. Looks like they'll have every single tournament other than the slams streamed though so that might interest you. Not sure on the prices though and we get quite a bit shown on BT over here so don't know if it'll be worth it.

Watched most of the Edmund match last night but went to bed at the end of the second set so obviously didn't see the end. He did alright from what I saw. Had a good end to last year so I imagine he'll have a decent chunk of points to defend so might see his ranking drop soon.

Forgot all about Bet365 mate, I was watching a Kontaveit match the other day although I tried to get it on my phone but it wouldn't let me for some reason even though i could watch the Kutnetsov men's match at the same time on it. I ended up finding a (decent) stream.

I did hear about this new WTA thing so won;t rule it out especially as i am now saving money with Boxnation being included in my BT Sport package, but for now I'm happy enough with BT - they have extensive coverage but they do have a habit of switching channels or putting it on the red button which isn;t ideal if you are recording a match to watch later. I'll stick with BT for now but may look at that for the year end finals or Aussie Open.

Just hope Eurosport have their coverage sorted for the US Open. I'll be staying up to around 2am most nights i reckon, but will record stuff from after that until when the session finishes which will be about 4/5am so hopefully the don;t cut out or end coverage if it overruns a bit. I have Sky Sports back now so probably would have preferred them to cover it for the red button function but also they would be more reliable, although Eurosport is more accessible to most.

Last edited:
Was gonna ask if you were tuning in @alexander but just seen the weather there so not expecting play any time soon.

Just lost the first set after another messy series of games. That is now five finals this year without winning a single set. Here's hoping she can turn it around yet again and win in three.

Earlier on she complained about the playing surface and some bloke came on with a sack of clay to fill in some gaps. Not seen that before.

Her brother is the co-commentator for Danish telly. At first I didn't like that much but his inside knowledge is growing on me somewhat.

Oh, and we may have a new wunderkid on the cards. Clara Tauson has won the junior's gold medal at the European 'olympics'. She is fourteen. And her idol is not surprisingly Caroline. :lol:

Her opponent is currently having a medical time-out, her arm is bothering her it seems. I hope Caroline doesn't win because the other lass ends up pulling out.

Blast.

I just hope her injuries aren't too serious.

Last edited:
Just lost the first set after another messy series of games. That is now five finals this year without winning a single set. Here's hoping she can turn it around yet again and win in three.

Earlier on she complained about the playing surface and some bloke came on with a sack of clay to fill in some gaps. Not seen that before.

Her brother is the co-commentator for Danish telly. At first I didn't like that much but his inside knowledge is growing on me somewhat.

Oh, and we may have a new wunderkid on the cards. Clara Tauson has won the junior's gold medal at the European 'olympics'. She is fourteen. And her idol is not surprisingly Caroline. :lol:

Her opponent is currently having a medical time-out, her arm is bothering her it seems. I hope Caroline doesn't win because the other lass ends up pulling out.

Blast.

I just hope her injuries aren't too serious.

Just caught up on the tennis now mate. Left at 1-3 Caroline in the 2nd set. Another final defeat - probably saving it for a slam final ;). Wasn't the best match there mainly because both were carrying injuries but Siniakova has played some cracking stuff this week and has beat 3 top 20 players on route to winning this (her second title) so certainly didn't have it easy, she's just 21 as well.

Leo won the battle of the Mayer's earlier in 3 sets. Can't say I'm too excited about the Isner-Harrison Atlanta Open final which has just started on Eurosport 1; would have obviously much preferred Edmund to have been involved. I'll probably start watching that around 11ish to fast-forward the breaks and stuff. You tuning into that one @Another Everton Fan?

Last edited:
Just caught up on the tennis now mate. Left at 1-3 Caroline in the 2nd set. Another final defeat - probably saving it for a slam final ;). Wasn't the best match there mainly because both were carrying injuries but Siniakova has played some cracking stuff this week and has beat 3 top 20 players on route to winning this (her first title) so certainly didn't have it easy, she's just 21 as well.

Leo won the battle of the Mayer's earlier in 3 sets. Can't say I'm too excited about the Isner-Harrison Atlanta Open final which has just started on Eurosport 1; would have obviously much preferred Edmund to have been involved. I'll probably start watching that around 11ish to fast-forward the breaks and stuff. You tuning into that one @Another Everton Fan?

Nah, American events on the main side are usually pretty lame aren't they?

Catered to the ilk of John Isner who generally sweeps up.

I dislike Ryan Harrison as well so there's nothing appealing for me.

Nah, American events on the main side are usually pretty lame aren't they?

Catered to the ilk of John Isner who generally sweeps up.

I dislike Ryan Harrison as well so there's nothing appealing for me.

Decent line up for Washington next week mind. Lots of good younun's there and no obvious big hitters. A Zverev and Kyrgios could meet early as well which should be good, although I am more interest in the women's Stanford tournament.

Heather Watson currently in qualifying for the women's Washington tournament also starting tomorrow - that's a fairly decent field as well.

Decent line up for Washington next week mind. Lots of good younun's there and no obvious big hitters. A Zverev and Kyrgios could meet early as well which should be good, although I am more interest in the women's Stanford tournament.

Heather Watson currently in qualifying for the women's Washington tournament also starting tomorrow - that's a fairly decent field as well.

I see Watson won her qualifier so is through, no idea who she plays though.

WTA tournaments currently on BT Sport 1 and 3.

Stanford (BT 1)
Now - Tsurenko vs Arruabarrena
Doi vs Day
Errakovic vs Konjuh
Vikhlyantseva vs Lao

Early hours
Sharapova vs Brady
Gibbs vs Lui

Washington (BT3)
Now - Andreescu vs Giorgi

Washington men's is on sky atm

Aye, but this is a women's tennis forum ;)

Na, it's a very good line up that men's Washington tournament, but tonight's schedule looks pretty poor IMO. I've literally never heard of the two lads who are starting off their live coverage, Ruud and Paul, one is ranked in the 100's and the other in the 200's, thought they might have shown the Mahut-Fabbiano or Pospisil matches instead which are on at the same time. The two lads are 18 and 20 which I guess in the main attraction. Plus Paul is American so will likely be on a more important court which their coverage might only have access to.

I definitely do plan to watch more of that tournament as it progresses when the likes of Thiem, (A) Zverez, Raonic, JMDP and Krygios all come into play.

Heather Watson has her Washington Open 1st round match on BT Sport 1 now against Tig. Halep is on BT Sport 2 now (vs Sloane Stephens) on BT2. They continue their Stanford coverage on BT1 after the Watson match.

Sky have their men's Washington coverage fro 9pm on Sky Sports Action. Jack Sock features in their first live match.

Just saw that and came here to post it. Basically leaves the Slams as the only men's tennis watchable without Amazon. I can see this happening with other sports also.

Yeah, not great at all - It'll mean more expense for the customer and also no more tennis on Sky Sports. I see ITV were apparently in the running to get it which would have been son much better. The coverage will likely get buried on this Amazon platform. BT have the WTA tournaments until 2019.

Last edited:

Back