SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Very enjoyable final, feel a bit sorry for Halep and as the presenters and commentators said, you genuinely didn't know which way it was going to go, well maybe in that second set when Simona was struggling, most would have tipped Wozniacki, but certainly not in that final set (know the outcome). Not sure what happened to Wozniacki in that second set, it seemed there for her but she just went to pot and couldn't get a first serve in, but massive credit for the way she came back in the decider especially when the trainer was called, trailing 3-4 and had just been broken.

Overall, another very good tournament for the women. A cracking final between 2 fine competitors. Most of the bigger names (or higher ranked) players made the latter stages and in the final, Halep-Kerber, Halep-Davis and Kerber-Hsieh in particular, there were many brilliant matches throughout. Already looking forward to the French and even Indian Wells to be honest.

Tell you what mind, Wozniacki's a far better all round player now than she has been for most of her career.

He isn't. He's playing more attacking and fun to watch. When he beats anyone good at tennis then we can say he's playing the best tennis of his career.

yes he is. the experts pundits (which you are not) like mats wilander for example, say he is. I agree with them.

anyway, did he not 'beat someone good at tennis', in last years AO final.

Last edited:
I've never seen anything like it before from a top player :lol: just completely collapsed after the Muguruza match at the French last year. I really hope that it was Muguruza's comments after the match that got to her more than anything else, we need more rivalries instead of all this friendly stuff we've got now!

Tad over the top on Edmund I think! Although given he's likely to be seeded at every tournament in the near future and his average run on clay last year, there's probably a good chance he could push up the rankings in the next 4/5 months. Defending against his forehand on clay must be an absolute nightmare.

Hope there's not too much pressure on Shapovalov in the media, kid's only 18 years old. 3-7 in tour matches since US Open. If he's ranked where he is currently in a year's time I don't think it'd be a disaster. He does only have about 200 points to defend for the next 6 months though so maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic.

It's crazy, it's not as if she has faced Murderer's Row. In that 15 game streak, she has played 17 year old's outside the top 100, Aussie Wildcards and other random players who she really should be beating comfortably. The clay season isn't too far away so will be very interesting to see how she does and if she can ever get her game back to what it was. A lot of it is bound to be mental.

It's crazy, it's not as if she has faced Murderer's Row. In that 15 game streak, she has played 17 year old's outside the top 100, Aussie Wildcards and other random players who she really should be beating comfortably. The clay season isn't too far away so will be very interesting to see how she does and if she can ever get her game back to what it was. A lot of it is bound to be mental.
Spending too much time with Dominic Thiem and not enough time practicing.

yes he is. the experts pundits (which you are not) like mats wilander for example, say he is. I agree with them.

anyway, did he not 'beat someone good at tennis', in last years AO final.

I've given you reasons why I think he isn't in the best form of his career, what are the reasons you think he is? Not 'because someone else said so', what is your opinion on his game and what's better than it was when he was winning more tournaments, losing less matches than he did last year and doing it against better players?

Do you think it's a coincidence that the first time he won a Slam in four and a half years happened to be when he didn't come up against Djokovic or Murray all year?

Last edited:
I've given you reasons why I think he isn't in the best form of his career, what are the reasons you think he is? Not 'because someone else said so', what is your opinion on his game and what's better than it was when he was winning more tournaments, losing less matches than he did last year and doing it against better players?

Do you think it's a coincidence that the first time he won a Slam in four and a half years happened to be when he didn't come up against Djokovic or Murray all year?
Beat nadal though

Cilic has cost me a fair bit of money in the ATPs over the years, usually by losing to someone ranked about 200 places below him. So I hope Federer wins 6-0,6-0,6-0.

Federer probably can’t believe that at 36 year old all he is having to do to win grand slams is beat the likes of Cillic Chung and Berdych.

But all that says is the reason why hes still the undisputed player of all time. His peers have taken their bodies beyond their limits to try & match his achievements. 5 years older and hes seen off the best of them. And hes still seeing off those 15 years younger than him.

Nobody watching?

I'm about 15 mins behind, currently watching at 2-1 Federer with him serving, so could well be over now in real time as I type. Was reasonably competitive at 6-3, 6-7, 2-2 but Fed has now won 7 of the last 9 games. 3-1 now.

Nobody watching?

I'm about 15 mins behind, currently watching at 2-1 Federer with him serving, so could well be over now in real time as I type. Was reasonably competitive at 6-3, 6-7, 2-2 but Fed has now won 7 of the last 9 games. 3-1 now.
If you're 15 mins behind make yourself a cup of tea because there's life in this match yet!!

If you're 15 mins behind make yourself a cup of tea because there's life in this match yet!!

About 10 mins behind now, my Sky planner says 3 hrs 10 mins and as the programme started at 8am, it will be circa 11.10 - yeah just seen the clock says 10.10 Aussie time, so am 10 behind, but as soon as i typed that Cilic won 5 games from nowhere :lol:. I'm 30-30 in this opening game of the decider.

Far better match than I was expecting. Who knows what would have happened had Cilic broken in the first game of the 5th set where he had the chances and could have had 6 games in a row. Great last set in the end by Roger though.

Strange match i thought. Was expecting Fed to cruise it - which he did, then didn’t, then did, then didn’t and then did :lol: was a five setter that somehow didn’t quite have the feel of it being close? I don’t know. Strange one to analyse.

Having said that, credit to Cilic for coming back in the fourth when a break down as he could have easily folded at that point. Made a better fist of it than expected.

well it is partly because someone else said so. i loved mats wilander when he was winning slams and I respect his opinion.

but the modern federers serve placement is better, his forehand is improved (finding the back of the court much more), he's taking the ball earlier, finishes points at the net more and his movement is better.

thats my opinion. let's not argue about it and just appreciate the GOAT and his latest incredible triumph.

Back