SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

I wouldn't be too surprised if Wozniacki retired not long after she wins her first major. Although just 27, she's been on the tour for 11 years now, mostly at the higher end so is an 'old' 27 and has won pretty much everything there is to win bar that elusive slam. She is getting married to her millionaire ex-sportsman fiance soon who is 34 so they may want to start a family and I've read a few sources saying they don't expect her to have too long left in the game. Have you heard anything like this in Denmark @alexander?

If that is true you could look at it in 2 ways - it would be a fitting end (or close to it) if she was to go out with that slam secured, but at the same time, it would be a bit of a shame for the tour going forward losing a champion and would remove the potential slam winner match ups in future slams which generally get bigger build ups.

I'll have to make sure I'm up by 8.30, may actually watch it on a 30 minute delay so can fastforward the many breaks.

She has been asked this very question by Danish reporters for about a couple of years now and always gives answers that are not very direct. But a couple of times she has alluded to taking a year at a time now so I guess that means she will play this season out and see where she is come December. By then I wouldn't be surprised if she calls it a day. Regardless of the Final result tomorrow morning. Though am sure she would be able to find room on her mantelpiece for the Aussie Open trophy. I would.

She has been asked this very question by Danish reporters for about a couple of years now and always gives answers that are not very direct. But a couple of times she has alluded to taking a year at a time now so I guess that means she will play this season out and see where she is come December. By then I wouldn't be surprised if she calls it a day. Regardless of the Final result tomorrow morning. Though am sure she would be able to find room on her mantelpiece for the Aussie Open trophy. I would.

@alexander is wearing a skirt
And hammering the tennis ladies
Into the dirt
(Not literally obviously)

Just goes to show what a superb Feb-June period she had as she is going to drop like an absolute stone soon. She won St Petersburg last year which she is defending next week and as she has just won 1 match since Wimbledon, between now and Wimbledon she is defending amongst other little runs a:

Premier title (470 points)
International final (180)
Premier Mand semi (390)
Premier final (305)
Premier Mand final (650)
Grand Slam QF (430)

She's pretty much going to have to maintain that until Wimbledon just to stand still, and even an average 6 months would see her crash right down the rankings. Of course, there will be very little to defend after that but still, she has been highly ranked for a while now despite this horror run and it will be a rapid fall. Konta could go a similar way if she has a poor Sunshine Double in March.

I've never seen anything like it before from a top player :lol: just completely collapsed after the Muguruza match at the French last year. I really hope that it was Muguruza's comments after the match that got to her more than anything else, we need more rivalries instead of all this friendly stuff we've got now!

Aye, it's a transition period for the men. I don't recall a time when so many potentially top ranked players were injured or rushing back for a Slam. Even in the semis, Chung went out injured and Edmund was hampered by some sort of problem in the last set.
Interesting article on the BBC website about Edmund and his longer term prospects, along with some of his other young rivals:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/42820079
They're definitely expecting Shapovalov to be a major contender. A lot have plenty to prove though (particularly at the very top). Zverev has reached the top 5 and has yet to go beyond the last 16 in a slam, Kyrgios has temperament issues. Pouille seems promising but has never got beyond round 1 in Australia in 5 attempts.

Tad over the top on Edmund I think! Although given he's likely to be seeded at every tournament in the near future and his average run on clay last year, there's probably a good chance he could push up the rankings in the next 4/5 months. Defending against his forehand on clay must be an absolute nightmare.

Hope there's not too much pressure on Shapovalov in the media, kid's only 18 years old. 3-7 in tour matches since US Open. If he's ranked where he is currently in a year's time I don't think it'd be a disaster. He does only have about 200 points to defend for the next 6 months though so maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic.

Men's tennis isn't really in a good place at the moment. A 36 year old with an iffy back shouldn't be winning Slams easier than he did in his prime. Last two Slams have been rubbish, Jack Sock just beat Krajinovic in Bercy because none of the elite could be bothered to turn up to a Masters and Dimitrov beat Goffin in the Finals. Meh.

Kristina Mladenovic has lost her last FIFTEEN singles matches and yet this week has moved up to her career best ranking and has just won the doubles. Bit odd.

Federer is playing the best tennis of his career now though.

Tell you what mind, Wozniacki's a far better all round player now than she has been for most of her career.

Federer is playing the best tennis of his career now though.

He isn't. He's playing more attacking and fun to watch. When he beats anyone good at tennis then we can say he's playing the best tennis of his career.

Tell you what mind, Wozniacki's a far better all round player now than she has been for most of her career.

He beat nadal last year in Australia he has also beat del Porto warinka and dimitrov
He isn't. He's playing more attacking and fun to watch. When he beats anyone good at tennis then we can say he's playing the best tennis of his career.

Federer probably can’t believe that at 36 year old all he is having to do to win grand slams is beat the likes of Cillic Chung and Berdych.

Back