SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

WTA back underway. Konta and Watson both lost their opening matches in straight sets, so a less than ideal start for the Brits.

Serena currently a set down against Bernarda Pera, if she turns it around she plays the winner of Venus or Azarenka. Two of the biggest rivalries in women's tennis over the last twenty years so not a bad way to get tennis started again if it happens!

Nice to see no real issues in the 3 WTA tournaments to date, Palermo last week (someone in quals was removed before the event started due to covid), but no scares in either Prague or Lexington this week, and they seem to have ran smoothly. Halep (1) vs Mertens (3) in the Prague final tomorrow, so no real surprises there, but despite some of the names Marco mentioned in Lexington, as well as other big names like Gauff, Sabalenka, and Stephens (who is an absolute shell of herself, and has been for some time), it's the unseeded Brady and Teichmann who have made tomorrow's final.

On a side note, I saw a post by @JL1985 in the betting section, and FreeSports are showing the final few days of the UK Pro Series Classic week, including the two finals tomorrow. Emma Raducanu (who I often rave about) thrashed GB #3 Harriet Dart 6-0 6-3 today and she now plays Jodie Burrage (who beat Konta the other week) in tomorrow's final, where the winner receives $20k.

Liam Broady plays Ryan Penniston in the men's final in a battle of the two group winners.

Last edited:
Nice to see no real issues in the 3 WTA tournaments to date, Palermo last week (someone in quals was removed before the event started due to covid), but no scares in either Prague or Lexington this week, and they seem to have ran smoothly. Halep (1) vs Mertens (3) in the Prague final tomorrow, so no real surprises there, but despite some of the names Marco mentioned in Lexington, as well as other big names like Gauff, Sabalenka, and Stephens (who is an absolute shell of herself, and has been for some time), it's the unseeded Brady and Teichmann who have made tomorrow's final.

On a side note, I saw a post by @JL1985 in the betting section, and FreeSports are showing the final few days of the UK Pro Series Classic week, including the two finals tomorrow. Emma Raducanu (who I often rave about) thrashed GB #3 Harriet Dart 6-0 6-3 today and she now plays Jodie Burrage (who beat Konta the other week) in tomorrow's final, where the winner receives $20k.

Liam Broady plays Ryan Penniston in the men's final in a battle of the two group winners.
There’s a men’s challenger in Prague this week. I noticed Alex Kuznetsov is playing. I’m not sure where he’s been the last 3 seasons, probably injured but he’s was a very good player.

Halep has got better each match she’s played. I’m certain she’ll win tomorrow. I can’t see Serena winning the US Open, she’s too old now. Andreescu is out and and few big names are missing. A chance for another outsider?

There’s a men’s challenger in Prague this week. I noticed Alex Kuznetsov is playing. I’m not sure where he’s been the last 3 seasons, probably injured but he’s was a very good player.

Halep has got better each match she’s played. I’m certain she’ll win tomorrow. I can’t see Serena winning the US Open, she’s too old now . Andreescu is out and and few big names are missing. A chance for another outsider?
Andrey Kuz ;), but yeah, first match since the start of 2018. I didn't actually know he was back playing, but see that he lost in 2 tie break sets to the Dutch lad who pushed Andy Murray really close at the Davis Cup last year.

I haven't seen much of Prague, was focussing more on Lexington as most of the players I was interested in lost early (that has actually been a common theme in both events :lol:), but the match times in Lexington were more convenient for me. I was watching a fair bit of that UK event as well, so hard to fit it all in.

When I last posted 10 days ago it was only Barty who had withdrawn on the women's side, but now there's a whole host of (mainly European) top 10 withdrawals, Bencic being the latest today, so there'll be some fairly unfamiliar top 10/12 seeds, which is a bit of a shame, but yeah, maybe a chance for someone less known to make a real name for themselves. It'll be interesting to see the final entry list on both sides - there'll be a lot of additional Americans involved.

Last edited:
Andrey Kuz ;), but yeah, first match since the start of 2018. I didn't actually know he was back playing, but see that he lost in 2 tie break sets to the Dutch lad who pushed Andy Murray really close at the Davis Cup last year.

I haven't seen much of Prague, was focussing more on Lexington as most of the players I was interested in lost early (that has actually been a common theme in both events :lol:), but the match times in Lexington were more convenient for me. I was watching a fair bit of that UK event as well, so hard to fit it all in.

When I last posted 10 days ago it was only Barty who had withdrawn on the women's side, but now there's a whole host of (mainly European) top 10 withdrawals, Bencic being the latest today, so there'll be some fairly unfamiliar top 10/12 seeds, which is a bit of a shame, but yeah, maybe a chance for someone less known to make a real name for themselves. It'll be interesting to see the final entry list on both sides - there'll be a lot of additional Americans involved.
Andrey of course 😀

Probably safe to say Djokovic will win US Open. Haven’t a clue who’ll win the women’s. It’s all a bit of a mess. I don’t think there’s any qualifying for the US or French open which is a shame.

Andrey of course 😀

Probably safe to say Djokovic will win US Open. Haven’t a clue who’ll win the women’s. It’s all a bit of a mess. I don’t think there’s any qualifying for the US or French open which is a shame.

Definitely no qualifying at the US, it's 120 direct entries plus the 8 WCs, and they seem to have ditched the French/Aussie reciprocal arrangement as it's Kim C and 7 Americans on the women's side, but last I heard there was going to be quals at the French, but that may well have since changed.

Halep is not playing now. Only 4 of the top 10 are playing. Surely they’ll be an asterisk next to the winners name in the women’s side. It’s turning into a 250 event.

Halep is not playing now. Only 4 of the top 10 are playing. Surely they’ll be an asterisk next to the winners name in the women’s side. It’s turning into a 250 event.
Will be for both events, the list of men not playing is almost as bad
Nadal, federer, wawrinka, kyrios, monfils, tsonga

Djokovic and Osaka/Pliskova winners? I can’t see anyone else threatening.
Anyone but Djokovic and serena.
Haven't got an issue with serena,but id rather she won against a full field.

Really think the US open should have been postponed and that this should have been rebranded as a one off charity event with ranking points and prize money kept the same

Cincy draw is being broadcast 'live' on facebook in a couple of hours. Probably not best to advertise it as live and then have the draw leaked before the stream :lol:

Muzza against Tiafoe first round, winner plays Zverev. Evo v Rublev first round and Edmund v Anderson.

Actual proper tennis, can't wait :cool:

Had an email confirming a refund for November 02 tickets, shame it’s the last year in London.
It's the last year under the current contract, given the unique circumstances i wouldn't be shocked if they held it there next year with fans before moving away.
Same boat with refund email

In the women's, Watson vs Pera, and the winner of that will play the winner of the arguable tie of R1 in Venus vs Yastremska. A few top 10 withdrawals as previously discussed, as well as a first round bye for the top 8 seeds eliminates reduces the chances of standout matches, and Konta has taken advantage of that as she is seeded 8th here (despite being ranked 15th), so she gets a bye, and plays Siniakova or a Q in R2. She could play Serena in the QF, but there's a long way to go before then.

Anyone but Djokovic and serena.
Haven't got an issue with serena,but id rather she won against a full field.

Really think the US open should have been postponed and that this should have been rebranded as a one off charity event with ranking points and prize money kept the same
Yeah see that prat Djokovic is now trying to say all the right things after his disastrous tennis tournament at the peak of COVID, he will see this as nice easy slam to win

It will be good to watch some competitive men’s tennis instead of the exhibitions. I’ve watched a fair bit of the 2 challenger events in Prague and Wawrinka is playing in Prague, he’s into the semi finals but has been terrible.

Yeah see that prat Djokovic is now trying to say all the right things after his disastrous tennis tournament at the peak of COVID, he will see this as nice easy slam to win

The bloke should have some humility and accept responsibility for his irresponsible and dangerous actions

It will be good to watch some competitive men’s tennis instead of the exhibitions. I’ve watched a fair bit of the 2 challenger events in Prague and Wawrinka is playing in Prague, he’s into the semi finals but has been terrible.

Aye I watched some of the match against Nagal yesterday and he was in full Stan Wawrinka 500/250/challenger mode. Just slapping the ball as hard as he can.

The bloke should have some humility and accept responsibility for his irresponsible and dangerous actions

'I dont feel like I did anything wrong' he left the country without getting checked for Covid after the tournament was cancelled because of other players having Covid :lol: Haway man, have a bit of self awareness Novak.

Although he is somewhat right with it being a witch hunt. ' The world No 1, who is known to be an anti-vaxxer' is just a lie. He's not an anti vaxxer at all, the media twisted his words.

'Cincy' matches about to get underway next on Prime. Amazon have all 10 courts covered across the men and women which is great. It is a bit strange how it's the same venue, balls etc. as next week, they are saving Ashe and Armstrong this week, but bar the knowledge that it's not a slam this week, so not as important, what we see this week coverage and presentation wise won't be too much different to next week, although I suppose the Americans will probably have something up their sleeves to somehow differentiate next week a little.

Watson up first on Prime's main coverage, but every other match is available. Think I'll start with Rybakina vs Alexandrova, the former had a super start to the year, and hopefully she can kick on from where she left off before lockdown, as she could be a real contender next week.

Last edited:
'Cincy' matches about to get underway next on Prime. Amazon have all 10 courts covered across the men and women which is great. It is a bit strange how it's the same venue, balls etc. as next week, they are saving Ashe and Armstrong this week, but bar the knowledge that it's not a slam this week, so not as important, what we see this week coverage and presentation wise won't be too much different to next week, although I suppose the Americans will probably have something up their sleeves to somehow differentiate next week a little.

Watson up first on Prime's main coverage, but every other match is available. Think I'll start with Rybakina vs Alexandrova, the former had a super start to the year, and hopefully she can kick on from where she left off before lockdown, as she could be a real contender next week.

Ahhhhhhh! Well that makes perfect sense then. I've been sat watching De Minaur v Struff wondering why it was on an outside court. Had no idea it was at the US Open site. Shows how much attention I've been paying recently.

Back