SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Indeed, ouch.

Fun first day, a few decent matches, some upsets, and the players seemed to enjoy it. There doesn't seem to be any reason for how the teams were decided, and some of the difference in points per match is a bit random, but it's still a good idea, and it's really good how pretty much all the bigger or relevant names (including the 4 captains) in British tennis are there. Decent coverage by the BBC as well.

Definitely, absolutely brilliant coverage from the BBC. I see Andy Murray is playing doubles only this week.

Definitely, absolutely brilliant coverage from the BBC. I see Andy Murray is playing doubles only this week.

Yeah, I was being a bit stingy, the coverage has been pretty much top notch. I saw that with Andy - at least he is there, because his presence generally will be massive, and it seems the doubles matches are generally worth more than the singles, plus looking at tomorrow, it'll be a great opportunity and experience for the likes of Burrage to play alongside him.

Tueday's Order of Play (should be outside tomorrow, with Hawk-Eye).

Centre Court:
Men's singles: Jan Choinski v Cameron Norrie
Women's singles: Katie Boulter v Johanna Konta
Women's doubles: Naomi Broady & Heather Watson v Harriet Dart & Beth Grey
Men's singles: Dan Evans v Kyle Edmund
Mixed doubles: Andy Murray & Jodie Burrage v Joe Salisbury & Emma Raducanu

Court One:
Men's singles: Anton Matsuveich v Liam Broady
Women's singles: Alicia Barnett v Maia Lumsden
Jamie Murray & Olivia Nicholls v Alastair Gray & Eden Silva

Noon start again, with the BBC on air from 11.50am.

Oh wise tennis fans of the smb, I’m thinking of going to see some matches at Wimbledon next year, what is the best way to get tickets and when?

I know that's probably more in relation to Katie's looks, ha, but with Andy and, to a lesser extent, Konta potentially struggling to be in grand slam contention going forward, the opponent here is possibly our most realistic hope, on either side, to make the latter stages of slams in the next 6 years or so. A really good prospect. You just need type 'Raducanu' into the search bar to see how much I've been bigging her up over the past few years, ha.

Was impressed by the lass.

On a different note I watched the Wimbledon archives a couple of weeks ago (Billie Jean defeating a pony tailed Chris Evert is the first final I remember in 73) and I'd almost forgotten how tame it all was back then...a long rally consisted of about 5 strokes. :lol:

Oh wise tennis fans of the smb, I’m thinking of going to see some matches at Wimbledon next year, what is the best way to get tickets and when?
You'll be quite lucky mate unless you get one of those extortionate debenture packages. They are not having a public ballot next year as they will honour this years ballot for next year, and no idea if they'll have a queue (doubtful), and maybe it'll be reduced capacity anyway.

You'll be quite lucky mate unless you get one of those extortionate debenture packages. They are not having a public ballot next year as they will honour this years ballot for next year, and no idea if they'll have a queue (doubtful), and maybe it'll be reduced capacity anyway.
Gutted :( cheers for the info mate

Imagine being on the opposite team as Dan Evans man :lol: he'd do your head in.

Broady stood about to serve for the match and you can hear Evans from the little stand at the side of the court going 'Not a big one coming here, I can tell you that one' :lol:

Another good day today. I wasn't too sure about the whole outdoor setting at the begining, but it got a lot better as the day progressed with more and more players arriving and cheering on the action. A little bit of needle at the end between Evans and Edmund, and another enjoyable mixed doubles match to end the days play. I was pleased that Konta was able to at least take her match with Boulter into a deciding Match Tie Break (before obviously going on to win), because it would have been a bit embarrassing for her heading over to the States in a week or two if it was like 6-2 6-1, which it was kind of looking like.

Wednesday's OOP

Centre court:
11.30am

Heather Watson v Eden Silva (two points)
Dan Evans v Cam Norrie (two)
Lloyd Glasspool/Naomi Broady v Dom Inglot/Maia Lumsden (one)
Not before 4.30pm
Jodie Burrage v Emma Raducanu (two)
Jamie Murray/Dan Evans v Joe Salisbury/Kyle Edmund (three)

Court one:
11.30am

Naomi Broady v Beth Grey (two)
Jan Choinski v Liam Broady (two)
Jamie Murray/Katie Boulter v Cam Norrie/Beth Grey (two)

Burrage vs Raducanu should be good, but it does seem a little bit early to me to see Evans vs Norrie again.

Last edited:
US open will be the first slam since 1999 that wont have either Federer or Nadal in it, crazy stat.

On a side note the whole tournament is going to be a farce looking at the dropouts, surely must come a point where its not even worth playing and whoever wins it will have so little credibility anyway?

There'll be more dropouts to come on both sides for sure, but at least the women's entry list is looking healthy with Barty being the only real notable name missing, for now. I guess from an ESPN/USTA perspective as long as Serena and Gauff are playing then there'll be enough interest and motive to make sure the event definitely goes ahead, and I for one hope it does.

The WTA tour returned this week in Palermo, Italy. A qualifier tested postitive for Covid late last week and was subsequently removed before the event started, but no other issues after that thus far. Touch wood. They have limited capacity crowds there.

US open will be the first slam since 1999 that wont have either Federer or Nadal in it, crazy stat.

On a side note the whole tournament is going to be a farce looking at the dropouts, surely must come a point where its not even worth playing and when Djokovic wins it will have so little credibility anyway?
Tidied

On a side note the whole tournament is going to be a farce looking at the dropouts, surely must come a point where its not even worth playing and whoever wins it will have so little credibility anyway?

Will be shades of Wimbledon 1973 -Jan Kodes v Alex Metreveli in the Mens Final with Britain's Roger Taylor losing in the semis!( one for the oldies like me :lol:)

Will be shades of Wimbledon 1973 -Jan Kodes v Alex Metreveli in the Mens Final with Britain's Roger Taylor losing in the semis!( one for the oldies like me :lol:)

Aye, ust had a look at Wimbledon for that year. The draw was full of extra qualifiers and lucky losers with the number of seeds dropped to 8. In fairness to Taylor, this was his third time in a Wimbledon semi-final and he had originally been 16th seed. The beaten quarter finalists included both Jimmy Connors (also a quarter finalist in 1972) and a 17 year old Swede called Bjorn Borg.

Back