SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

And on they go, 5-5 in the decider. Thiem twice had a chance to go 5-1 up and served for it at 5-3. Was within 2 points of the match, but it's anybody's guess now.

Obviously the rain hasn't helped today either, but it's a shame for those in Australia hoping to watch Barty in the women's final. It's midnight in Sydney now and the match was originally meant to start at 10pm their time, before the men's was carried over. It could be a while before they get on as well.

Thiem wins! It was actually his 3rd MP, must have missed those other 2 :lol:.

Novak's 26 winning streak at the slams is over.

Last edited:

He is a complete wanker Djokovic mind, spat his dummy out yesterday with the weather conditions yesterday just because he was getting beat. Sounds like he pretty much refused to go back on court even thought the rain had stopped because he knew the conditions favoured Thiem, did something similar with the roof against Nadal in the semi final of Wimbledon last year, no wonder really that hardly anyone likes him despite what he has achieved.
I like you ;) couldn't have said it better myself. Justice for thiem today, hope he wins it but that would be one of the great grand slam wins of all time it be does

They closed the roof on the Friday, they didnt finish the game. The Saturday was a hot warm summer's day but the rules state both players have to agree to reopen the roof , Djokovic said no as he knew it would benefit him and disadvantage Nadal. Fair enough I suppose but its poor sportsmanship and that along with a number of other reasons is why Djokovic is not very popular despite everything he has achieved.
Correct, Nadal criticised the decision afterwards, Djokovic admitted they had asked if he wanted the roof open and said no, he never 'forced' them to keep it on but knew they'd have to if he said no when asked.

And on they go, 5-5 in the decider. Thiem twice had a chance to go 5-1 up and served for it at 5-3. Was within 2 points of the match, but it's anybody's guess now.

Obviously the rain hasn't helped today either, but it's a shame for those in Australia hoping to watch Barty in the women's final. It's midnight in Sydney now and the match was originally meant to start at 10pm their time, before the men's was carried over. It could be a while before they get on as well.

Thiem wins! It was actually his 3rd MP, must have missed those other 2 :lol:.

Novak's 26 winning streak at the slams is over.
Hallelujah. Thought thiem had blown it 5-3 up 40-15 Two match points and ended up getting broken

Last edited:
Well done Barty, she's been the most consistent player in 2019, but what an absolute meh final. Hopefully a better final tomorrow and at least the next grand slam is just around the corner.

Wonder what Konta is thinking watching Barty stroll to victory.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I like you ;) couldn't have said it better myself. Justice for thiem today, hope he wins it but that would be one of the great grand slam wins of all time it be does

Correct, Nadal criticised the decision afterwards, Djokovic admitted they had asked if he wanted the roof open and said no, he never 'forced' them to keep it on but knew they'd have to if he said no when asked.

Hallelujah. Thought thiem had blown it 5-3 up 40-15 Two match points and ended up getting broken

Yeah, so many delays and momentum swings, it was really hard to call.

Last edited:
Ash Barty looks like the real future number one to me. She has every shot in the book, a great mentality and an incredible physique. She’s a bit on the short side, but overall I think she looks like the pick of the next generation of ladies.

Love how she took some time out of the game to get her head together. She really looks like she will achieve her potential now.

Wonder what Konta is thinking watching Barty stroll to victory.
Barty would have smashed Konta today. Much better player.

Ash Barty looks like the real future number one to me. She has every shot in the book, a great mentality and an incredible physique. She’s a bit on the short side, but overall I think she looks like the pick of the next generation of ladies.

Love how she took some time out of the game to get her head together. She really looks like she will achieve her potential now.

Barty would have smashed Konta today. Much better player.

She could/should be number 1 in the next few weeks. She's not too far off now and is dropping 280 points next week as she withdrew from Nottingham so won't be defending that title, but grass is traditionally her favourite surface and she lost relatively early in Wimbledon last year, so plenty of points on offer in the coming weeks to take it.

She is very very good at what she does, but I just find her a bit bland personally.

Ah - just re-read that. You mean the actual, legit number 1 player, rather than just potentially taking that crown for a few weeks and then it being passed on to someone else.

Last edited:
She could/should be number 1 in the next few weeks. She's not too far off now and is dropping 280 points next week as she withdrew from Nottingham so won't be defending that title, but grass is traditionally her favourite surface and she lost relatively early in Wimbledon last year so plenty of points on offer in the coming weeks to take it.

She is very very good at what she does, but I just find her a bit bland personally.

Ah - just re-read that. You mean the actual, legit number 1 player, rather than just potentially taking that crown for a few weeks and then it being passed on to someone else.
What I mean is, the next dominant player. The women’s game has been a joke for a long time, but she could be a proper dominant force.

I quite like her - seems nice and down to earth. Makes a change from Serena and her arrogance and Osaka’s weirdness!

On another note, what has Chris Evert done to her face - looks like it is being pulled back by clothespegs!

What I mean is, the next dominant player. The women’s game has been a joke for a long time, but she could be a proper dominant force.

I quite like her - seems nice and down to earth. Makes a change from Serena and her arrogance and Osaka’s weirdness!

On another note, what has Chris Evert done to her face - looks like it is being pulled back by clothespegs!

Yeah, got you.

Her results this past 9 months have certainly been very impressive and it was just 12 month ago she said "every week on clay is a week closer to grass", so for her to win her first slam on that surface, one she used to dislike, bodes well for her in the future.

Yeah, got you.

Her results this past 9 months have certainly been very impressive and it was just 12 month ago she said "every week on clay is a week closer to grass", so for her to win her first slam on that surface, one she used to dislike, bodes well for her in the future.
Especially now Serena looks about as mobile as a HGV!

I just can't not watch the football

I'm not too bothered about it mate. I was interested on Thursday night, but this is just like a friendly to me. Likewise I watched Kerber-Serena Wimbledon final over the Belgium 3rd 4th playoff last year. Had it have been the final and on now, it might have been different.

I'm not too bothered about it mate. I was interested on Thursday night, but this is just like a friendly to me. Likewise I watched Kerber-Serena Wimbledon final over the Belgium 3rd 4th playoff last year. Had it have been the final and on now, it might have been different.
I feel a bit daft I wish I didn't like so many sports in a way

Back