SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

BBC write up saying Federer played well enough to beat anybody on clay today, despite the scoreline.....except he was up against the GREATEST clay court player ever.
Supposedly high quality match despite conditions, which is a shame as rafa is brilliant in windy conditions whilst Federer is at his best with No wind, also they watered the court to stop the dust blowing and it slows the court down.
Federer needed everything in his favour to have a chance and unfortunately both of these factors made it mission impossible for him :(

See Djokovic is blaming the conditions for going a set behind, could be similar conditions Sunday against rafa, see how he acts then :lol: if he can get past a very good looking thiem!

Rain break helping to break thiems momentum sadly

Last edited:
There's no way Thiem hits through Djokovic or Nadal enough to win a five set match in this sort of wind unless they go full Andy Murray and lose their mind.

Was Konta’s a brave defeat?

It was more of a snatching defeat from the jaws of victory type choke to be honest. In a commanding position in both sets, but the pressure must have got to her and there were a lot of routine mistakes, including on set point, and the backhand massively deteriorated as both sets went on. I doubt she'll ever be in that position again with a slam final there for the taking. Great couple of weeks for her, and her ranking and wallet are looking a lot more healthier, but a massive shame all the same.

Last edited:
WTA not happy, Djoko/Thiem I'd guess not happy, most commentators bemused that play was stopped for the day. No roof yet! French Open getting criticised from all sides.

WTA not happy, Djoko/Thiem I'd guess not happy, most commentators bemused that play was stopped for the day. No roof yet! French Open getting criticised from all sides.

Same thing happened at Wimbledon last year with the Nadal - Djokovic match on the Saturday morning forcing the 'Not before...' women's final. It's not great to be fair, especially when both semi finals got shifted onto lesser courts because of the men's matches.

It's almost like holding a tournament in Paris in May/June is a bit of a silly idea.

He is a complete wanker Djokovic mind, spat his dummy out yesterday with the weather conditions yesterday just because he was getting beat. Sounds like he pretty much refused to go back on court even thought the rain had stopped because he knew the conditions favoured Thiem, did something similar with the roof against Nadal in the semi final of Wimbledon last year, no wonder really that hardly anyone likes him despite what he has achieved.

Women's final looking on course to be pushed back.

Or not. Thiem 4-1 in final set. Looking on course for a repeat of last year's final.

Last edited:
He is a complete wanker Djokovic mind, spat his dummy out yesterday with the weather conditions yesterday just because he was getting beat. Sounds like he pretty much refused to go back on court even thought the rain had stopped because he knew the conditions favoured Thiem, did something similar with the roof against Nadal in the semi final of Wimbledon last year, no wonder really that hardly anyone likes him despite what he has achieved.

Literally none of that happened.

He definitely insisted on the roof remaining closed at Wimbledon last year as he knew it would give him the advantage over Nadal.

No he didn't. I suspect you know that isn't true.

If they have to close the roof because of the rain, when have they ever then reopened the roof when conditions cleared up?

No he didn't. I suspect you know that isn't true.

If they have to close the roof because of the rain, when have they ever then reopened the roof when conditions cleared up?

They closed the roof on the Friday, they didnt finish the game. The Saturday was a hot warm summer's day but the rules state both players have to agree to reopen the roof , Djokovic said no as he knew it would benefit him and disadvantage Nadal. Fair enough I suppose but its poor sportsmanship and that along with a number of other reasons is why Djokovic is not very popular despite everything he has achieved.

Last edited:

Back