SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Nadal winning 2/3rds of his grand slams on clay slants it a bit even if he wins on Sunday (I'm clutching at straws because Federer is my favourite ever player to watch ;) )
in full agreement, the bloke has 13 french opens, cant be including those in the count ;)

it will always be Federer for me

will say that i dont mind Nadal coming out on top with 22/23 (if only to see Djokovic and his fans faces) - 5 years ago im not sure i would have said that about Nadal but immense respect has turned into a genuine like of the guy (last one of the big 4 i need to see live), helps that federer started beating him ;)

Saying all this, i still want Medvedev to win, the prospect of beating both Djokovic and Nadal in back to back slam finals to deny them 21 and win his first 2 would be an immense achievement.
i just hope we get a cracking final (like last year was meant to be and was for 50 minutes before Medvedev imploded)
How many slam finals have each of them lost to the other two does anyone know?
Federer- Australia v Nadal 1-1, French v Nadal 0-4, Wimbledon v Nadal 2-1 Wimbledon v Djokovic 0-3, US v Djokovic 1-1 = 4-10
Nadal- Australia v Djokovic 0-2, French v Djokovic 3-0, Wimbledon v Djokovic 0-1, US V Djokovic 2-1 = 11-7
Djokovic- 8-6

Last edited:

in full agreement, the bloke has 13 french opens, cant be including those in the count ;)

it will always be Federer for me

will say that i dont mind Nadal coming out on top with 22/23 (if only to see Djokovic and his fans faces) - 5 years ago im not sure i would have said that about Nadal but immense respect has turned into a genuine like of the guy (last one of the big 4 i need to see live), helps that federer started beating him ;)

Saying all this, i still want Medvedev to win, the prospect of beating both Djokovic and Nadal in back to back slam finals to deny them 21 and win his first 2 would be an immense achievement.
i just hope we get a cracking final (like last year was meant to be and was for 50 minutes before Medvedev imploded)

Federer- Australia v Nadal 1-1, French v Nadal 0-4, Wimbledon v Nadal 2-1 Wimbledon v Djokovic 0-3, US v Djokovic 1-1 = 4-10
Nadal- Australia v Djokovic 0-2, French v Djokovic 3-0, Wimbledon v Djokovic 0-1, US V Djokovic 2-1 = 11-7
Djokovic- 8-6
Didn't realise Federer was 0-3 at Wimbledon v Djokovic :eek:
I want Medvedev to win the final, as you say to deny those would be some going.
If Nadal does come through though hats off to him for a great comeback. I just can't stand watching
his antics in between points, towels at the back off the court have to be perfectly spread out, his pre serve antics
are just weird! Noticed that he sips out of two bottles and has to place them back in the exact same position after.
Apparently he is a messy git off the court 🤷‍♂️

For 3 current players to have 60 grand slams between them is an amazing statistic. That’s equivalent to them winning every one for 15 years. Imagine being a very good tennis player but coming up against them 3 you just don’t get a chance.

Didn't realise Federer was 0-3 at Wimbledon v Djokovic :eek:
Djokovic has never played peak Federer at Wimbledon that's why he has always beaten him when they have met, as good as Djokovic is he has never had to contend with a peak Federer due to the age difference , Nadal also peaked in 2009/2010 which was before Djokovic stopped eating bread so he has won never won a slam beating absolute peak versions of Nadal or Federer.

Djokovic has never played peak Federer at Wimbledon that's why he has always beaten him when they have met, as good as Djokovic is he has never had to contend with a peak Federer due to the age difference , Nadal also peaked in 2009/2010 which was before Djokovic stopped eating bread so he has won never won a slam beating absolute peak versions of Nadal or Federer.
He did play a very good Federer in 2012 and got beat in the semis.
2014 was a very high quality 5 set final
2015 - Federer played god mode tennis to beat murray in straight sets in the semis then didnt play great in the final and lost in 4.
2019 - Federer could not play any better at that time and by all accounts should have won. just needed 1 good serve in 2 chances but Djokovic was god mode for the tie breaks.
Their wimbledon record should be 2-2 instead of the 1-3 it is
Collins playing well here for a lass who hasn't sat down for 2 weeks!
Glad Barty won but hard on Collins to play against the crowd too...really hope Medvedev doesnt get it as bad tomorrow
Definitely, Murray would have quite a few more in another era.
Murray - Australia v Djokovic 0-4, V Federer 0-1, French v Djokovic 0-1, Wimbledon V Djokovic 1-0, v Federer 0-1, US v Djokovic 1-0, V Federer 0-1 = 2-8
Odd things from the big 4 era.
Murray and nadal never played a final against each other at any slam.
Federer v Nadal never played each other at the US Open (Federers 3rd most successful slam and Nadals 2nd).
Federer v djokovic never played an Australia final (always tended to meet in the semis)

Last edited:
Felt like all the evidence going into the match pointed/points towards Medvedev winning but for some reason I just couldn't see him doing it. Thought Rafa would find a way somehow, looking a touch unlikely now.

That return for 5-4 in the tie break was phenomenal. Nadal's unbelievably intense focus hasn't seemed as good as it used to be in the big moments for a little while now.

Medvedev makes an excellent panto villain the way he keeps giving the crowd stick back. Half expect him to offer best wishes to Mother Russia's children with their venture into Ukraine in his post-match speech.

I know Medvedev's had a five setter, a few four setters and played a lot of long sets and breakers this tournament but watching players lose their legs against Djokovic and Nadal despite being ten years younger will never fail to amaze me.

Haway Rafa lad.

Think it’s a conscious effort he gets fired up from the stick from the crowd.
Always bitching to the umpire.
He has a right chip on his shoulder.

He has been superb throughout the tournament though. He looks more like someone who comes to take away your scrap metal rather than a tennis pro!

Not sure nadal has a five set win in him. Feel free to bookmark for when the inevitable happens 😂
:lol: It's a canny match up. Thought Medvedev would be fairly comfortable to be honest.

At the moment I'd favour Nadal to physically last 5 sets better than Medvedev will mentally.

And I want Nadal to get 21 without Djokovic being there, just to piss him off.

Last edited:

Back