SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Sloane's got more natural ability than just about anyone not named Williams, Azarenka and maybe Osaka. Best athlete and just about everything you'd want technically apart from a huge serve.

That first set was appalling. Raducanu played well but Sloane was dumping second serve returns halfway up the net. Serving constantly at about 80mph as well, bizarre.

Just woken up again after watching the Murray match. Outstanding stuff. Would have made a great final. He must be absolutely knackered though.

Finally back in the top 100 with a win in a couple of days! Should be beating Taro Daniel fairly comfortably although might be some long and grinding rallies.

Backed Carlos Alcaraz to win Wimbledon at 50/1 on unibet yesterday because that price isn't gonna be around for long. Half tempted at 33's each way for this because those odds will tumble if he beats Berrettini on Friday. Berrettini looked a bit rusty the other night from what I saw and it'd be arguably Alcaraz's toughest match until the semi.

Watched Rafa's first set with Mannarino this morning, if Rafa's struggling with the pace of Mannarino's ball then Shapovalov might get some joy in a couple days time if he plays like he did for large parts against Djokovic at Wimbledon. Might be worth a few quid on him making it close.

Was looking forward to Rafa v Zverev next round but I guess it's always better when someone who knocks lasses about gets beaten instead.

Watched Rafa's first set with Mannarino this morning, if Rafa's struggling with the pace of Mannarino's ball then Shapovalov might get some joy in a couple days time if he plays like he did for large parts against Djokovic at Wimbledon. Might be worth a few quid on him making it close.

Was looking forward to Rafa v Zverev next round but I guess it's always better when someone who knocks lasses about gets beaten instead.
I find Shapovalov so good to watch, but fear he will end up a nearly guy.

Hard to gauge how fit Nadal is at the minute really as he’s not been truly tested yet but be arguably his greatest slam win ever if at 35 he can come back from a career threatening foot injury combined with having covid about 3 weeks ago and win this, he was pretty much playing on one foot last year.

Shapavalov was an utter embarrassment in that 5th set mind, playing a 35 year old who could barely move and he still bottled it, bet Nadal cant believe he won that match, hopefully he still has enough left in the tank to get to the final.

Shapavalov was an utter embarrassment in that 5th set mind, playing a 35 year old who could barely move and he still bottled it, bet Nadal cant believe he won that match, hopefully he still has enough left in the tank to get to the final.
Fritz did the same against Djokovic last year.

Hoping Medvedev makes the final which i think he will if he gets past felix tonight who is playing some great tennis.

Lets see how Rafa recovers from this, hoping the winner of Berretini/Monfils is a quick match as both wlll pose different problems for him - Berretini could go long whilst Monfils could hit a tired Rafa off the court.
Got rafa at 11's start of tournament ;)

Last edited:

Back