SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Fritz did the same against Djokovic last year.

Hoping Medvedev makes the final which i think he will if he gets past felix tonight who is playing some great tennis.

Lets see how Rafa recovers from this, hoping the winner of Berretini/Monfils is a quick match as both wlll pose different problems for him - Berretini could go long whilst Monfils could hit a tired Rafa off the court.

Got rafa at 11's start of tournament ;)
Apart from his serve Berrettini literally has nothing to trouble Rafa if he's fit, he has one of the worst backhands I have ever seen, only way Rafa gets beat in the semis is if he's not fit or gets injured again.

Apart from his serve Berrettini literally has nothing to trouble Rafa if he's fit, he has one of the worst backhands I have ever seen, only way Rafa gets beat in the semis is if he's not fit or gets injured again.
Im not gonna argue on the backhand front, but he can win with just his serve and forehand IF hes on it and if Rafa has a poor day

Im not gonna argue on the backhand front, but he can win with just his serve and forehand IF hes on it and if Rafa has a poor day

Monfils was standing as deep (somehow even deeper at times, didn't know it was possible :lol:) than Rafa does and he seemed to have a great read on the serve as the match went on. If Monfils can do it then I guess you'd have to think Rafa is gonna have his chances.

Quite strongly fancy Rafa to win although Berrettini is currently on a 21 match winning streak at Slams against people not named Novak Djokovic...

Don’t know what it is with Rafa and going two sets up these days , looks like he’s absolutely cruising then just totally falls apart in the third , could go five sets this now .
Starting to believe Rafa could win this tournament now :D, despite no Djokovic it really should have been impossible for him to even get to the final at his age after playing on one foot last year.

Last edited:
Don’t know what it is with Rafa and going two sets up these days , looks like he’s absolutely cruising then just totally falls apart in the third , could go five sets this now .
Starting to believe Rafa could win this tournament now :D, despite no Djokovic it really should have been impossible for him to even get to the final at his age after playing on one foot last year.
Playing brilliantly but ended up with a good draw given how tough the other half has ended up - would make him a strong favourite over Tsitispas while his chance over Medvedev would depend on how (if he wins) tough and how long he takes to win today.

Playing brilliantly but ended up with a good draw given how tough the other half has ended up - would make him a strong favourite over Tsitispas while his chance over Medvedev would depend on how (if he wins) tough and how long he takes to win today.
It’s an incredible achievement mind , 35 year old playing on his weakest surface after coming back from 6 months off injured when he was playing on one foot for the whole of last year , not to mention being bed ridden with Covid about 6 weeks ago, if he wins Sunday it’s arguably the greatest slam win of any of the big three.

It’s an incredible achievement mind , 35 year old playing on his weakest surface after coming back from 6 months off injured when he was playing on one foot for the whole of last year , not to mention being bed ridden with Covid about 6 weeks ago, if he wins Sunday it’s arguably the greatest slam win of any of the big three.
Not sure it can be greatest when his rivals aren't in it...for me Federer 2017 Australia. Nadal Wimbledon 2008
Looking forward to the final
Nadal v Medvedev....should be good

Last edited:
Not sure it can be greatest when his rivals aren't in it...for me Federer 2017 Australia. Nadal Wimbledon 2008
Looking forward to the final
Nadal v Medvedev....should be good

Think he was talking about the circumstances surrounding the tournament as a whole.

Nadal 2008 was arguably the greatest Final ever but he cruised to that final in his prime, losing one set on the way.

Think he was talking about the circumstances surrounding the tournament as a whole.

Nadal 2008 was arguably the greatest Final ever but he cruised to that final in his prime, losing one set on the way.
Correct , as good as Nadal was at Wimbledon 2008 he was at his his peak then as was Federer which is why it’s probably the greatest tennis match of all time ,if Nadal somehow won this one then it must mean so much more due to the reasons above. At the end of the day all that really matters is slam wins so whoever ends up with the most is the undisputed best player regardless of daft ATP tiles and world ending number ones etc.

Correct , as good as Nadal was at Wimbledon 2008 he was at his his peak then as was Federer which is why it’s probably the greatest tennis match of all time ,if Nadal somehow won this one then it must mean so much more due to the reasons above. At the end of the day all that really matters is slam wins so whoever ends up with the most is the undisputed best player regardless of daft ATP tiles and world ending number ones etc.
Nadal winning 2/3rds of his grand slams on clay slants it a bit even if he wins on Sunday (I'm clutching at straws because Federer is my favourite ever player to watch ;) )

Same argument for Djoko in Australia and Fed at Wimbs.

They all have their dominant Slams.
I did say I was clutching at straws! But.... the other two don't have 2/3rds at one event also the French surface is far removed from the other three.
Whoever ends up with the most slams will deserve to be named the goat but imho Federer at his best was easily the most graceful to watch.
Djokovic is a c**t of the highest order and Nadal is painful to watch with his ocd.

Back