SMB Photography Competition: February Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just hoyed mine in, seen a cracker on flickr - has a droplet of water with a globe in the reflection. Mine was just more instinctive although I had to wait an age for them to turn and face me :lol:

Just hoyed mine in, seen a cracker on flickr - has a droplet of water with a globe in the reflection. Mine was just more instinctive although I had to wait an age for them to turn and face me :lol:

Very nice shot marra :-D

I had thought about doing that globe-within-a-droplet thing - did this yonks ago and was going to try and do similar.
Logon or register to see this image

Thanks fella, appreciated. It's a little soft in retrospect, but I was happy with it at the time.
It's soft where you've blacked it out but sharp (or seems it) where the colour is. Love macro like, gonna have to buy me a lens I think :lol:

It's soft where you've blacked it out but sharp (or seems it) where the colour is. Love macro like, gonna have to buy me a lens I think :lol:

Here's the original;

I'd have liked the droplets to have been a little sharper, ideally.

Macro lenses are great like, plus they usually double as great portrait / low-light lenses too. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is one of the best, and it's around £100 brand new.

Here's the original;

I'd have liked the droplets to have been a little sharper, ideally.

Macro lenses are great like, plus they usually double as great portrait / low-light lenses too. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is one of the best, and it's around £100 brand new.
Might look to invest in one of those!

What did you use to edit the pic like that mate?

Might look to invest in one of those!

What did you use to edit the pic like that mate?

The one above is straight out of the camera, but the black and white one was edited in Picnic - simple case of a crop, turned it black and white then painted the colours back into the droplets.

Some really beautiful pictures there this month. Sadly I cant take part though I did take some photos especially for it but my pc is knackered. :cry:

I have just posted a very modest effort. I am definitely in the "point and press" brigade, but what I enjoyed very much about this was that I set myself the additional challenge of taking the photo in my morning walk from Charing Cross station to the office. It is amazing what you can find in a half hour walk through London's West End (e.g. I found the National Geographic store on Regent St which was very fertile ground for this topic), and it turned part of my daily commute into something I thoroughly enjoyed it, so thanks to AB22 for getting this going. The one I have actually posted was actually a corner of the muddy grass just outside the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. The rest of the photos from that half hour walk are here

Nice one janiep.

I see the daffodils in London have not flowered yet. My wife who is Welsh tells me they should be in flower by St David's day on March 1st but I think she may be pulling my leg.

I have to say that this competition, and indeed our photography board as a whole has rekindled my interest somewhat.

I did something similar today, went out in Houston and looked for interesting subjects as I walked around downtown. I haven't done that in a long time. I've even taken my light tent out of it's cover and shot stuff indoors.

18 entries so far but about 8 who entered last month haven't posted a pic yet with one day left.

So will there be a last minute rush.....

Nice one janiep.

I see the daffodils in London have not flowered yet. My wife who is Welsh tells me they should be in flower by St David's day on March 1st but I think she may be pulling my leg.

Thanks. I love this time of year when they're pushing up from the ground, and that was the photo I thought I'd end up with, but the beauty of this challenge was that I found so many things which actually I thought were more interesting.

18 entries so far but about 8 who entered last month haven't posted a pic yet with one day left.

So will there be a last minute rush.....

I will be entering but I'm having a nightmare this month. I've been struggling for ideas and the weather is not being kind to me either. I'm going to have one last go tomorrow but we're forecast for heavy rain again. I'll put something in but I doubt it will represent my best work how pathetic of me to be getting the excuses in already!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back