SMB Photography Competition: February Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needs a bit of thought I think. Unless we're going to see loads of entries featuring piles of soil.

It depends how you interpret it, it could be anything on the earth not just earth itself. Mind you what do I know, I've never done anything like this before.

Got no clue what I am gonna photograph though :confused:

That's what good about this type of thing though. The variety of ideas.

Indeed. Last month has provided some great interpretations. I only voted for Clyde, but I think Cartman's take on it is terrific in retrospect. I should have handed out a few more votes.

And the interpretation could be as or more important than technical skill in deciding a winner; this is good news too.

Just shows that people need not be scared of these themes or interpret them too literally

Indeed. Last month has provided some great interpretations. I only voted for Clyde, but I think Cartman's take on it is terrific in retrospect. I should have handed out a few more votes.

And the interpretation could be as or more important than technical skill in deciding a winner; this is good news too.

Just shows that people need not be scared of these themes or interpret them too literally

spot on

Pretty broad theme, might have a go at this. Only really take photos when on holiday though.

I think, looking at the voting the ones with technical skill will be the winners though. :?:

It would be nice to know everybody's skill level, camera, knowledge, interest etc.

I have been taking photos for fun for 30 years or so, only ever used two cameras, an Olympus Trip to 1983 and a Canon A1 with various lenses since 1983. I do understand a little about film cameras but have only ever shot at holiday memories and family snaps level.

Using a digital camera beyond the point and shoot level has been a first for me in January 2010. It isn't a DSLR just a £100 point and shoot (Canon A460) thing. I find not being able to focus the hardest thing I think about this camera so far.

I prefer photography when you compose the picture "in camera" using your knowledge etc to get the picture you want. I don't have much interest in changing /making up pictures afterwards "on computer"

I think, looking at the voting the ones with technical skill will be the winners though. :?:

I'm not sure if I agree with that like. Andy M's shot is clearly the best technically.

And fwiw, there's no Photoshop jiggery-pokery with my shot, bar adjusting the levels. That shot was made with a careful set up, then a lot of trial and error. I rarely bother with heavyweight post processing.

My experience levels anyway.

I went on a big holiday with friends in 2007, and got a few positive comments about the shots I took with my little Canon Ixus 900ti. Decided to get a DSLR (Nikon D40) about a year and a half ago, and have been bitten by the bug ever since.

Was lucky enough to upgrade to a second-hand pro camera (D2X) last April. I've improved a bit over the last 18 months or so, but still have a hell of a lot to learn. I like photos that have a bit of wit about them, or find something beautiful in an ugly or relatively bland subject. Scraff is a master at this.

Shooting a mate's wedding in October, and am shitting bricks about it.

Mine was set up in a light box and wasn't post processed except for tweaking the levels.

It was a little contrived mind and I'm not really surprised it's not getting many votes. I struggled to come up with anything at all to be honest.

My level of experience: I had never shot anything bar holiday snaps until 2004 when a friend suggested I keep a journal of my business travels.

I bought a little Fuji F420 and kept a photo record of the countries I was visiting. I soon upgraded to a Fuji S7000 bridge camera then a Canon 400D.

I now shoot with a Canon 50D and a Canon EOS3 35mm and have shot semi pro for the last 2 years, mainly portraits, glamour and "people in the workplace" shots for local companies although I have done quite a bit of product photography for brochures etc - hence the lightbox. One day I'll learn how to do it properly.

I find I'm pretty good at implementing good shots but so bereft of ideas that my wife acts as "artistic advisor" :oops:

That's the point though, technical ability isn't the be all and end all, you can see by January's voting that interpretation of the theme is most important.

It'd be great if there were 30 or 40 entries in Feb - maybe some camera phone shots and the likes. Really enjoying the competition lark and subforum, I must say.

It'd be great if there were 30 or 40 entries in Feb - maybe some camera phone shots and the likes. Really enjoying the competition lark and subforum, I must say.
Yes, me too!

Last month I posted late because I didn't want anyone to see my picture and know I wasn't using food or drink (and it took me four weekends of playing with the camera to see what it could do! :oops::lol:).

You got praised for posting early! I have thought about my picture for this and have an idea of what I am going to do, but I just feel that if I post early, someone will take my idea and do it better! You can't win with the timing thing can you? :)

Me three, this is always the first bit of the site I look at when i log on.

I'd love to see the competition take off, and it really is a fantastic prize for the picture of the year.

You got praised for posting early! I have thought about my picture for this and have an idea of what I am going to do, but I just feel that if I post early, someone will take my idea and do it better! You can't win with the timing thing can you? :)

It's tricky all right. For my part, I only posted earlier as I was working from home one day so had a few hours where I was stuck in the house and not able to go anywhere.

And fwiw, if someone has clearly nicked your idea then I'm sure the votes will reflect that.

I'll hang fire til an idea grabs me on this un. Just getting into night photography of late, so might see if there's owt I can do around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back