SMB BIGGEST LOSER: RECIPES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, you're not eating enough. I reckon all that food is around 800 odd calories. Men usually need around 1800 calories as a base (although more qualified people on here can verify that).

Are you using a calorie app like My Fitness Pal? They're usually really good and you enter the food in it as you eat it and it'll tell you how many calories in it. it'll set you a daily goal to aim for.

Basically, work out your BMR (how many calories you need just to exist) here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

That'll tell you how many you burn just by sitting on the settee all day. Any exercise you do will increase that number.

If you eat fewer calories than that number you'll lose weight, but as Becs posted you shouldn't eat too few, or you'll risk bottoming out or slowing your metabolism down. 500 calorie deficit each day will be a 1lb loss per week.

Quality post, i never even knew apps like that existed! Going to get that downloaded now, cheers!! Still doesn't feel that I'm not eating enough tbh, I actually feel full :confused:

Quality post, i never even knew apps like that existed! Going to get that downloaded now, cheers!! Still doesn't feel that I'm not eating enough tbh, I actually feel full :confused:
Once you get it downloaded and an account set up, post your username on here and we'll add you as friends, that way we can all see how we're doing and support each other :)

If you feel full, that's great, but you've got to remember there's not much good nutritional value in what you ate today (vitamins etc). You've not had many fruit and veg (heinz soup doesn't count as one of your 5 a day!). You probably couldn't keep that up long term, or if you did you'd suffer malnutrition.

Good luck, and that's what we're here for, to help each other!

I have no idea :lol: I know the diet shake has 170 calories.

I'm doing a 1 hour cardio session at the gym every weekday morning before work too.

You definitely need to add more to your meal plan; what you posted won't even come in at 1,000 calories. Work out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) to get an idea of how much you need to take in per day to maintain, then adjust accordingly.

You can work it out using a calculator such as this one: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/. It won't be spot on, but it will at least give you an idea of what you should be taking in.

You definitely need to add more to your meal plan; what you posted won't even come in at 1,000 calories. Work out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) to get an idea of how much you need to take in per day to maintain, then adjust accordingly.

You can work it out using a calculator such as this one: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/. It won't be spot on, but it will at least give you an idea of what you should be taking in.

Just joined the my fitness pal mate, came in at 800 cal

Got some new scales today. Cat can you alter my weight to 236lbs please?[DOUBLEPOST=1389036587][/DOUBLEPOST]
Got some new scales today. Cat can you alter my weight to 236lbs please?
Edit : had me claes on, 233lbs

Last edited:
It's a cracking app. If you're serious about your nutrition, it's a godsend.

I take in just over 3100 calories a day, it's a chore trying to do it relatively cleanly.
I love the fact you can scan a barcode and all the stuff appears in your diary automatically. I've just has a stirfry, and all I did was scan the barcode of the veg, the sauce and the noodles and it's all in my diary. It's brilliant like. :D

Just joined the my fitness pal mate, came in at 800 cal

Your basal metabolic rate (energy expenditure at rest) will be much, much higher than that. Plus, that isn't even taking in to account calories expended through activity (not just exercise).

There's a bunch of problems that come with rapid weight-loss diets; it's good that you've downloaded MFP, will be a big help.

I love the fact you can scan a barcode and all the stuff appears in your diary automatically. I've just has a stirfry, and all I did was scan the barcode of the veg, the sauce and the noodles and it's all in my diary. It's brilliant like. :D
I love scanning barcodes, it makes me happy (which is probably quite sad). Though I do get annoyed when the food I scan either can't be found, or comes up as something completely different... also quite sad!

If my current endeavours don't pan out, I think I'd be quite happy as a checkout monkey.

Anyway, as this is the recipes thread, these peanut butter fudge protein brownies are lovely: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=662771. At 220 calories a pop, perhaps they aren't the best for those on calorie restricted diets, but they're far more nutritionally rich than most store-bought protein bars/chocolate bars. The main ingredients are chocolate protein powder, oats, peanut butter, honey, and water, so there's a good balance of decent protein (over 15g per bar), carbohydrates and fat. Best of all, there's no baking involved!

Once you get it downloaded and an account set up, post your username on here and we'll add you as friends, that way we can all see how we're doing and support each other :)

If you feel full, that's great, but you've got to remember there's not much good nutritional value in what you ate today (vitamins etc). You've not had many fruit and veg (heinz soup doesn't count as one of your 5 a day!). You probably couldn't keep that up long term, or if you did you'd suffer malnutrition.

Good luck, and that's what we're here for, to help each other!
Just tried it - the barcode scanner works for stuff I bought in France and Switzerland. Very impressed.

Joined the my fitness pal app.

Caer_urfa is my username :D
Musername is catryan :)

Today as a comparison to yours so you can see;
Breakfast 200g soya yoghurt and a chopped up apple
Lunch 80g goat's cheese, 80g beetroot, 30g spinach, 10g mushrooms and 10g shallots with a t bsp of body bio ooiland a spoon of cider vinegar.
Dinner: chicken breast 70g duck breat 65g sealed in coconut oil, courgette, leek and dried porcini mushroom broth with marigold bouillon and coriander and chilli and garlic.

If you follow the recipe exactly those tortilla pizzas are surprisingly good - I substituted jalapeno for the olives - had loads of calories left yesterday so had 2 of them plus large glas of Red wine - was stuffed:) and finsihed day on under 1300 calories.

I actually quite enjoy being creative with meals - just need a longer term replacement for rice/pasta/spuds - have swicthed to wholegrain but its still loads

It's a cracking app. If you're serious about your nutrition, it's a godsend.

I take in just over 3100 calories a day, it's a chore trying to do it relatively cleanly.

Don't bother then. Go on a filthy bulk and then cut the fat later.[DOUBLEPOST=1389138243][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you follow the recipe exactly those tortilla pizzas are surprisingly good - I substituted jalapeno for the olives - had loads of calories left yesterday so had 2 of them plus large glas of Red wine - was stuffed:) and finsihed day on under 1300 calories.

I actually quite enjoy being creative with meals - just need a longer term replacement for rice/pasta/spuds - have swicthed to wholegrain but its still loads

Loads of health nuts go on about quinoa. No idea if its actually nice mind.

Roast sweet potato is my favourite source of carbs. Love the stuff.

Don't bother then. Go on a filthy bulk and then cut the fat later.[DOUBLEPOST=1389138243][/DOUBLEPOST]

Loads of health nuts go on about quinoa. No idea if its actually nice mind.

Roast sweet potato is my favourite source of carbs. Love the stuff.

I've gone down that route before and didn't feel particularly good for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to remove yokes from eggs or use low fat stuff... my staples are whole eggs, full fat milk, the protein brownies I mentioned previously, beef, chicken, whey, brown rice, salmon, sweet potatoes, frozen vegetables and the occasional full English breakfast. I usually make up a shortfall in calories with milk and it does me fine.

Same here, crispy sweet potato wedges are amazing.

I've gone down that route before and didn't feel particularly good for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to remove yokes from eggs or use low fat stuff... my staples are whole eggs, full fat milk, the protein brownies I mentioned previously, beef, chicken, whey, brown rice, salmon, sweet potatoes, frozen vegetables and the occasional full English breakfast. I usually make up a shortfall in calories with milk and it does me fine.

do you have a recipe for the crispy sweet potato wedges?

You sound pretty much like me then. An attempt at doing it cleanly but make up the short fall with a lot of milk.[DOUBLEPOST=1389183157][/DOUBLEPOST]

Cut them into wedges, par boil until a knife will go through them. Then I drain them in a steamer pan with holes in it and shuffle them about to make them a bit fluffy which seems to make them crispier. Then season them, a drizzle of olive oil and add herbs of your preference. Roast until crispy.

No idea about timings etc'. I just keep an eye on them until they look good but 30-40 minutes roasting is a good rule of thumb I find.

Cut the potato into wedges (leave the skin on), put them in a mixing bowl, throw in a glob of oil, a load of pepper and a little salt and toss them about to get them evenly covered. Put them onto a baking tray, not too close together.

Set the oven at about 225 and put them in for about 20 minutes. Turn, and leave them for another 5 minutes or so.

The key points seem to be leaving the skin on and not opening the oven to check on them. I used to always peel the skin off and check to see how they were getting on. The skin gives the wedges a nice crispy bite, and apparently contains vitamins, so worth leaving it on.[DOUBLEPOST=1389183718][/DOUBLEPOST]
You sound pretty much like me then. An attempt at doing it cleanly but make up the short fall with a lot of milk.[DOUBLEPOST=1389183157][/DOUBLEPOST]

Cut them into wedges, par boil until a knife will go through them. Then I drain them in a steamer pan with holes in it and shuffle them about to make them a bit fluffy which seems to make them crispier. Then season them, a drizzle of olive oil and add herbs of your preference. Roast until crispy.

No idea about timings etc'. I just keep an eye on them until they look good but 30-40 minutes roasting is a good rule of thumb I find

This sounds like a better method than mine... might have to give it a go!

Last edited:
Cut the potato into wedges (leave the skin on), put them in a mixing bowl, throw in a glob of oil, a load of pepper and a little salt and toss them about to get them evenly covered. Put them onto a baking tray, not too close together.

Set the oven at about 225 and put them in for about 20 minutes. Turn, and leave them for another 5 minutes or so.

The key points seem to be leaving the skin on and not opening the oven to check on them. I used to always peel the skin off and check to see how they were getting on. The skin gives the wedges a nice crispy bite, and apparently contains vitamins, so worth leaving it on.[DOUBLEPOST=1389183718][/DOUBLEPOST]

This sounds like a better method than mine... might have to give it a go!

I always try to par boil potatoes I'm roasting. A bit more effort but it seems worth it.

No idea about timings etc'. I just keep an eye on them until they look good but 30-40 minutes roasting is a good rule of thumb I find.

Thank you :D

do you think that would work with butternut squash? longer boiling time obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back