Sleaford Mods

I'm not sure why it is something that irks.

They are essentially the same people just with some money. They haven't become different people because they can stay in a Radisson rather than on someone's floor or in the van.

I don't begrudge them for having a fan base and making significantly more money than 99% of other independent-ish bands in the UK. I find them patronising. You don't. Keep enjoying the tunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
They come across as utter wankers to be fair.

never understand this point of view. like said earlier on the thread, they seem like psuedo-punk 6th-form politics students with tattoos and guitars, but their 'message' is quite a positive one from what i can remember, they seem like decent chaps. maybe a bit too modern, southern and in touch with their feelings for most northern blokes, but i've never seen them do or say anything wankerish, compared to a lot of bands. what makes them utter wankers ?

The artists they talk down is normally due to ability or selling out. The only artist I've seen them talk down regarding class is Idles, who are fair game imo.

How so? Like others I find the constant ‘right on’ lyrics a bit tiresome but I don’t see where their class comes into it. The singer has said in interviews that 3 of them had decent upbringings and 2 were not so fortunate (if I’ve got the numbers right).

never understand this point of view. like said earlier on the thread, they seem like psuedo-punk 6th-form politics students with tattoos and guitars, but their 'message' is quite a positive one from what i can remember, they seem like decent chaps. maybe a bit too modern, southern and in touch with their feelings for most northern blokes, but i've never seen them do or say anything wankerish, compared to a lot of bands. what makes them utter wankers ?
I saw them live at a festival and a couple of utterances were embarrassing. I thought wankers.

I'm not a massive fan.

In a nutshell.

Politically and musically I don't think they're anything to shout about but they seem well-meaning enough.

I saw them live at a festival and a couple of utterances were embarrassing. I thought wankers.

I'm not a massive fan.

like what? haway man stop teasing

i saw them at kendal in 2019 and thought they were magnificent. absolutely bouncing, loads of energy, good music, tent was packed to bursting point, it was a hell of a show.
In a nutshell.

Politically and musically I don't think they're anything to shout about but they seem well-meaning enough.

i think they aren't as smart as they may like to think they are, but they certainly have a bit of charisma. my lass is an art teacher and when she first heard that song that lays into Rothko she was raging/laughing and quite enjoyed the piss take

Last edited:
How so? Like others I find the constant ‘right on’ lyrics a bit tiresome but I don’t see where their class comes into it. The singer has said in interviews that 3 of them had decent upbringings and 2 were not so fortunate (if I’ve got the numbers right).

Indeed. I don't think I've ever read a feature where Idles pretended to be something they aren't. If anything, the singer's had some pretty rotten life experiences.

like what? haway man stop teasing

i saw them at kendal in 2019 and thought they were magnificent. absolutely bouncing, loads of energy, good music, tent was packed to bursting point, it was a hell of a show.
It was at kendal. The comments about immigrants was one that was the one that stuck out. I was in amongst it for a while but had done my ankle in the afternoon. They came across as a bit forced and worthy.

It isn't a big issue.

It was at kendal. The comments about immigrants was one that was the one that stuck out. I was in amongst it for a while but had done my ankle in the afternoon. They came across as a bit forced and worthy.

It isn't a big issue.

They were utter wankers an hour ago, time is a healer am I right Harry ;)

:lol: :lol: It was my impression of them. The vibe they gave off was wanker.

I would give them another go if they are on another festival I'm at.

They're pretty good live like, can't really say a bad word about them in that respect. Primavera 2018 on one of the smallest stages was v impressive.

I should really give Sleaford Mods a go in person. See if I can at least get on board with them as performers.

It isn't a big issue.

what did he say like? i was there but can't really remember paying much attention to his patter in between songs, was trying to keep owa lass safe
I should really give Sleaford Mods a go in person. See if I can at least get on board with them as performers.

they are entirely different live, like so many bands. probably the band i've seen the most times over the last 4 or 5 years. he's never any different, he is a machine. its always one of those sets where every single person in the audience is 100% wired to what is going on on stage.

Last edited:
what did he say like? i was there but can't really remember paying much attention to his patter in between songs, was trying to keep owa lass safe
It was lively :lol:

It was something very positive about immigrants but it was said in a way to have a pop at people who weren't like themselves. I found it worthy and a bit wankerish. It was after a long day. I just remember thinking Fuck Off you cheeky bastard.

It was lively :lol:

It was something very positive about immigrants but it was said in a way to have a pop at people who weren't like themselves. I found it worthy and a bit wankerish. It was after a long day. I just remember thinking Fuck Off you cheeky bastard.

I wonder if that is aimed at some of the radgier parts of the music following scene, who may harbour right wing prejudices. And in his head, if he has effected even one person per show to show a little more tolerance and a little less hatred, then he can feel very good about himself. I agree it's patronising to those who don't anti-immigrant feelings

I wonder if that is aimed at some of the radgier parts of the music following scene, who may harbour right wing prejudices. And in his head, if he has effected even one person per show to show a little more tolerance and a little less hatred, then he can feel very good about himself. I agree it's patronising to those who don't anti-immigrant feelings
It wasn't a big thing but it was jarring and I thought, "What a wanker"

I'd give them another go if I'm somewhere where they are playing.

It's freely available and I'm interested in understanding why two blokes who are effectively in the 1% see the need to make sweeping public statements about what is and isn't the working class in order to further their own working class credentials in comparison to other bands.

I neither agree nor disagree with that. I don't especially have a bone to pick with billionaires or millionaires as long as they pay their taxes and try not to treat the people who prop their wealth up like dirt. You seldom hear a peep from the vast majority of the 1% - and I'm fairly sure they couldn't give a toss what class they're in or what people think they're in.

But in this instance - and as I've said several times - it bores my f***ing tits off to read reams of Sleaford Mods interviews talking other artists down about class. There's no need. It's hypocritical.

Last edited:

Back