Sleaford Mods

Perhaps but then again I never once disagreed with you on that point. If you won the lottery as a working class bloke and dedicated the rest of your life to pulling people up without profit in mind, thats great.

I disagree in Williamson’s instance however. A person who makes hundreds of grand writing and posturing about being working class then sets up a company to buy property and rent it out has no room to critique anyone else’s working class credentials.

I don't know about his recent business/private life tbh. Just think a good chunk of his/their music is good. That'll do me.

I don't know about his recent business/private life tbh. Just think a good chunk of his/their music is good. That'll do me.

Wey, consider yourself more informed mate ;)

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Have a spin of Austerity Dogs on me.

Perhaps but then again I never once disagreed with you on that point. If you won the lottery as a working class bloke and dedicated the rest of your life to pulling people up without profit in mind, thats great.

I disagree in Williamson’s instance however. A person who makes hundreds of grand writing and posturing about being working class then sets up a company to buy property and rent it out has no room to critique anyone else’s working class credentials.

dont think his lyrics would have the same edge if he was complaining about Second Home Stamp Duty Land Tax and the Landlords & Tenants Act 1985

Depends how he runs out and his rates

Depends how he runs out and his rates

If he's sheltering the homeless for free, I'll buy all their back catalogue on vinyl and get a Spare Ribs tattoo 👍👍👍

(Will let you know on that once I see the latest accounts.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's sheltering the homeless for free, I'll buy all their back catalogue on vinyl and get a Spare Ribs tattoo 👍👍👍

to play devils advocate here, if he has made himself a few hundred grand through working hard and being a relatively talented musician, i guess any financial advisor would tell someone in that position to invest the money rather than save it

he's not going to purposefully keep himself financially unstable just to add authenticity to his music

Housing CO-OPS ,affordable rents,no deposits etc ,loads of ways of being a landlord

Ive no problem with anyone doing well in this world, it’s a fucker and if you can make a few quid in an honest way, all power to you. That said, Sleaford Mods have made all their vast sums of money by putting working class authenticity at the very centre of the band - still do today. They aren’t, and haven’t been for a long, long time. They have some front calling out Idles in every other interview for being
Middle class when by definition so are they.
Sorry but I disagree with this. You can be a billionaire and still be working class.

Your formative years are critical in how you think and act.

to play devils advocate here, if he has made himself a few hundred grand through working hard and being a relatively talented musician, i guess any financial advisor would tell someone in that position to invest the money rather than save it

he's not going to purposefully keep himself financially unstable just to add authenticity to his music
Plus buy to let has its down sides as Channel 5 shows us

Why would you go through the accounts (unless you work for them either directly or indirectly)? Surely it's their business?

Why would you go through the accounts (unless you work for them either directly or indirectly)? Surely it's their business?

It's freely available and I'm interested in understanding why two blokes who are effectively in the 1% see the need to make sweeping public statements about what is and isn't the working class in order to further their own working class credentials in comparison to other bands.
Sorry but I disagree with this. You can be a billionaire and still be working class.

Your formative years are critical in how you think and act.

I neither agree nor disagree with that. I don't especially have a bone to pick with billionaires or millionaires as long as they pay their taxes and try not to treat the people who prop their wealth up like dirt. You seldom hear a peep from the vast majority of the 1% - and I'm fairly sure they couldn't give a toss what class they're in or what people think they're in.

But in this instance - and as I've said several times - it bores my f***ing tits off to read reams of Sleaford Mods interviews talking other artists down about class. There's no need. It's hypocritical.

It's freely available and I'm interested in understanding why two blokes who are effectively in the 1% see the need to make sweeping public statements about what is and isn't the working class in order to further their own working class credentials in comparison to other bands.

I neither agree nor disagree with that. I don't especially have a bone to pick with billionaires or millionaires as long as they pay their taxes and try not to treat the people who prop their wealth up like dirt. You seldom hear a peep from the vast majority of the 1% - and I'm fairly sure they couldn't give a toss what class they're in or what people think they're in.

But in this instance - and as I've said several times - it bores my f***ing tits off to read reams of Sleaford Mods interviews talking other artists down about class. There's no need. It's hypocritical.
The artists they talk down is normally due to ability or selling out. The only artist I've seen them talk down regarding class is Idles, who are fair game imo.

The music and lyrics are very disenfranchised/alienated/skint working class blokes. Hard for them to ditch that just because they've earned a few quid because people like their stuff.

The music and lyrics are very disenfranchised/alienated/skint working class blokes. Hard for them to ditch that just because they've earned a few quid because people like their stuff.

Indeed. I'm sure writing songs about his new kitchen cabinets, calling everyone "back home" (not lovely middle-class West Bridgford) a racist, Prada coats, and staying in hotels that cost as much for a night as 2 weeks rent in Notts etc. would wear thin pretty quickly on their disenfranchised, alienated, skint working class bloke fan base.

Indeed. I'm sure writing songs about his new kitchen cabinets, calling everyone "back home" a racist, Prada coats, and staying in hotels that cost as much for a night as 2 weeks rent in Notts would wear thin pretty quickly on their disenfranchised, alienated, skint working class bloke fan base.
I'm not sure why it is something that irks.

They are essentially the same people just with some money. They haven't become different people because they can stay in a Radisson rather than on someone's floor or in the van.

Indeed. I'm sure writing songs about his new kitchen cabinets, calling everyone "back home" (not lovely middle-class West Bridgford) a racist, Prada coats, and staying in hotels that cost as much for a night as 2 weeks rent in Notts etc. would wear thin pretty quickly on their disenfranchised, alienated, skint working class bloke fan base.
This isn’t fair like. Their life isn’t any different to quite a lot of people that post on here. They aren’t that well off. So what they’ve made a bit of money. They’re also allowed to comment on other people. Speaking is their job.

Back