Slade?

Saw them at Dunelm House in Durham around the time of 'We`ll Bring The House Down' during their black leather phase. The atmosphere was incredible and the band were fantastic. Toilet rolls were flying all over the place too.

Anyone ever see them play live?
I saw them at The Reading festival in 1980. They surprised a few people. Top drawer.
I only discovered at that gig that the crew I’d been working with on a prolonged Saxon tour were also Slades long serving road crew. Nice lads. Piss takers but nice lads.

My mate saw them at the Poly and said there was hell on, loads of people scrapping don’t know if it was 1980 though.
He did say Noddy was superb.
If I remember right there was bother in the bar at the back of the main hall which then spilled over into the hall. I saw a lot of bands at the poly back then, and there was always bother, it was just a part of the experience :lol:

Saw them at Dunelm House in Durham around the time of 'We`ll Bring The House Down' during their black leather phase. The atmosphere was incredible and the band were fantastic. Toilet rolls were flying all over the place too.
Early 80s just before Christmas? Remember that but not clearly we were all off it, mad night.

Saw them at Reading Festival in 1980, someone came onstage and announced that Ozzy couldn't make it but they had a surprise replacement instead. When Slade walked on people around me began pissing in bottles ready to lob at them but they were magnificent, like a jukebox belting out hit after hit. Best comeback gig ever.

I also saw Gary Glitter at Sunderland Poly long after his hits had dried up in the early 80s. He'd downsized his stage show and the marble staircase was replaced with some Black and Decker steps and he rode onstage on a moped instead of a Harley. Some mates of mine were in the support band and after the show the Entertainment Secretary at the Poly gave them an envelope with Glitter's fee in it by mistake, they jumped straight in their van and fucked off with about a grand while he got their fifty quid fee :lol:

Bardney Great western festival, Whit weekend 72, pissed down most of the weekend. Rory Gallagher was good Friday night. Stone the Crows, brave performance especially Maggie Bell, Steve Howe replaced Les Harvey. My first big Festival 16 year old.
Yes that was it. I was all of 15..hitchhiked down from Boldon with a friend of the same age. These days parents who allowed that would have been locked up and of course back then there was no way of staying in touch via smartphones etc. Ran out of food on the last day and relied on the Sally Ann truck which was on site ,for soup and bread..why I always give to them even now. Then just hitched back five days later.

Thanks mam.

Saw them at Hammersmith, Christmas 1980. Still the best band I've seen live.

Fast forward 40 years & they're playing at the Kings Lynn Corn Exchange (Noddy & Jimmy long gone) with a Mud covers band as support. They still rocked & fair play to Dave & Don they came out after the gig to mingle & chat with the fans in the foyer.

Never saw them live but I went to see Slade in Flame and they made a personal appearance. Can't remember which cinema it was at.
I saw the Slade in flame film at the Studios on high street bank (East End) but not sure if they made an appearance ?

Last two times I saw Daltrey and he was outstanding - did an acoustic show at the City hall and I was stunned at how good he sounded. Same when I saw The Who earlier in the year. he`s nearly 80 and still had the range and power. can`t fault him at all and there`s not many of his peers you can say that about.
Saw him earlier this year. He had to cut the gig short after about eight songs as his voice was shot.
I always thought it was risky him doing a solo tour in between legs of the Who tours as he’s got form for voice problems these days. Saw The Who pre covid and thought his voice was ropey. A few days later they were playing Houston and had to cancel after a few songs.

Me and my mate who fronts a Tom Petty tribute band went for a drink nearby after the aborted Daltrey gig. There was a small band set up and the singer was about to play ‘Free Falling’ but admitted that he’d forgotten the words so my mate steps in to sing it and we end up joining in on several more songs so it turned out to be a canny night anyway! 😁😁

I saw the Slade in flame film at the Studios on high street bank (East End) but not sure if they made an appearance ?
That was the one. I know they were scheduled to make an appearance but you've got me thinking now and something at the back of my mind is suggesting you might be right about non-appearance.

In 1981, as a student.

Several years past peak fame, but still the original lineup. They were a brilliant live act and so loud that my hearing didn't recover for days.

Back