Slade?

They're not the Sweet without the other 3 though.

Strictly speaking they're not even if they have rights to use the name. Hence why I said "Sweet" in inverted commas
Slade were massive early 70s despite starting as a skinhead group and moving into glam rock -( albeit with a harder edge) and had a huge following in the skinhead / suedehead mobs.

The skinhead look was forced on them by their manager Chas Chandler. The band hated it as they were never actualy skinheads

Last edited:
Saw then at a three day festival in 1972 (IIRC) at little town near Lincoln. They got a rough reception when they came on - the skinhead tag was still applied to them - but they played an amazing set and had everybody cheering at the end. They were followed by the Beach Boys I think..that was the Saturday night. Joe Cocker was headlining the next night but he was totally wasted, his first appearance back in the UK since the Mad Dogs tour..

I think there may have been 2 or 3 versions of Sweet touring at one time. Steve Priest's "Sweet" mainly played the US. Andy Scotts "Sweet" still going and actually playing the Fire Station in Sunderland this month
I was there, it was Sunday just gone. Brilliant they were. Andy Scott the only original left, superb guitarist still at 74.

Sunderland Poly 79-80ish?
Sunderland Empire similar time supported by Geordie whose singer joined AC/DC a short while later.
Brian Johnson’s autobiography is a good read especially the bit about how he got the AC/DC gig. He started a car vinyl roof business by day, living with his parents and playing in a cover band round the clubs actually doing a cover of ‘Whole Lotta Rosie’ when he was asked to the audition. Thought it was a prank at first.

Soon after he’s in the Bahamas at Compass Point recording Back In Black. The manager comes in and asks him to sign some papers.

What’s This?
The lads don’t want you as a hired gun they want you as a full time member of the band
What does that mean?
It means you get a fifth share of the royalties
OK then let’s see how it goes

A few months later they have one of the biggest selling albums in history!

Also funny how he met Bon Scott while they were both playing in crappy cover bands!

I think there may have been 2 or 3 versions of Sweet touring at one time. Steve Priest's "Sweet" mainly played the US. Andy Scotts "Sweet" still going and actually playing the Fire Station in Sunderland this month
Sunday
Slade were massive early 70s despite starting as a skinhead group
No they didn't. A complete fallacy that gets regurgitated time and again. None of them were skinheads, they were rock and rollers with their hair cut short for two months.
This is the cover for their debut LP. Hardly soccer hooligans
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Saw then at a three day festival in 1972 (IIRC) at little town near Lincoln. They got a rough reception when they came on - the skinhead tag was still applied to them - but they played an amazing set and had everybody cheering at the end. They were followed by the Beach Boys I think..that was the Saturday night. Joe Cocker was headlining the next night but he was totally wasted, his first appearance back in the UK since the Mad Dogs tour..
Bardney Great western festival, Whit weekend 72, pissed down most of the weekend. Rory Gallagher was good Friday night. Stone the Crows, brave performance especially Maggie Bell, Steve Howe replaced Les Harvey. My first big Festival 16 year old.

Just a later version with Dave and Don.
Would have loved to see the real thing (ie with Nod and Jim, not the band The Real Thing, though they’re ok too!)

Anyone ever see them play live?
I saw them at The Reading festival in 1980. They surprised a few people. Top drawer.
Twice.
I was at Reading festival in 1980 too, they weren't meant to play there originally - drafted in as a replacement for Ozzy's 'Blizzard of Oz'.
Also, saw them (Slade) at Middlesbrough town hall In March 1981.
They'd played Middlesbrough Rock Garden a few months previous to Reading , but I missed it as I was away.

I me anarl. One of my ‘bands that got away’ regrets.
Aged seven I said my favorites were Slade, Sweet and Gary Glitter.

Saw GG several times - pre nonce allegations of course but his gigs were always excellent.

Saw Sweet around 1987. Shite. Connolly had lost it by then and had two young lads doing most of the harmonies for him as his voices was shot to shit. Not sure if any other members were original.

Never saw Slade. Still think Noddy took a dive early and could easily have extended their career but would have been sad to see him do a Daltrey and struggle with the booming voice in later years.
we used to go to see gary glitter every year. the shows were quite good. i actually proposed to the mrs before one, 31 years ago.
as for slade, i've seen them a few times but only recently and never with noddy. sweet actually supported them one year and were good. if you accept they're just doing nostalgia their concerts are great.

Saw them a few years back for a Christmas Show in Leicester - great fun

Dave has got to be the smallest Rock/Pop star ever - RJD would tower over him

I me anarl. One of my ‘bands that got away’ regrets.
Aged seven I said my favorites were Slade, Sweet and Gary Glitter.

Saw GG several times - pre nonce allegations of course but his gigs were always excellent.

Saw Sweet around 1987. Shite. Connolly had lost it by then and had two young lads doing most of the harmonies for him as his voices was shot to shit. Not sure if any other members were original.

Never saw Slade. Still think Noddy took a dive early and could easily have extended their career but would have been sad to see him do a Daltrey and struggle with the booming voice in later years.
Last two times I saw Daltrey and he was outstanding - did an acoustic show at the City hall and I was stunned at how good he sounded. Same when I saw The Who earlier in the year. he`s nearly 80 and still had the range and power. can`t fault him at all and there`s not many of his peers you can say that about.

Back