Skyrim

General tips
- Don't be a hoarder early on, nothing is special so feel free to flog it until you have a house. You can buy the shit house and fully upgrade it really quickly in Whiterun. It will be a long while before you need dragon bones and scales as smithing materials so just flog them, you'll have shit tons.

Blacksmithing is probably the easiest skill to level up though unfortunately. Iron Daggers all the way to Dwarven Armor from then on it's Dwarven Bows til 100. There's enough ore in the Markath ruins to get you all the way the way there, it's that easy :/

You can combine Blacksmithing with Enchanting to powerlevel that also, and the Enchanted crafts make you thousands of gold making any other sources of gold income obsolete.

Even buying the ore outright you still make a profit on your craftables if you enchant them

Blacksmithing is probably the easiest skill to level up though unfortunately. Iron Daggers all the way to Dwarven Armor from then on it's Dwarven Bows til 100. There's enough ore in the Markath ruins to get you all the way the way there, it's that easy :/

You can combine Blacksmithing with Enchanting to powerlevel that also, and the Enchanted crafts make you thousands of gold making any other sources of gold income obsolete.

Even buying the ore outright you still make a profit on your craftables if you enchant them

Alchemy is better for leveling up imo as it also gives you an obscene amount of coin. Which then means you don't have to go mining for ore and what not you can just buy it

Alchemy is better for leveling up imo as it also gives you an obscene amount of coin. Which then means you don't have to go mining for ore and what not you can just buy it

Well like I says you can just buy the ore and still make a profit aslong you enchant the craft afterwards.

But you're right about Alchemy, any potion made with a Giant's Toe is like 500+ gold a pop. They are super rare to find from vendors however, and surprisingly, only drop in the outside world from Giants.

I tend to wait a long while before touching smithing in earnest for that exact reason.

You're giving the lad hints on how to cheese a game that's pretty easy to start with, I intentionally tried to avoid that with it being his first play through.

There's really no need to hoard dragon bones until you have a float of cash and have fully upgraded breeze home.

With smithing I tend to wait until the mid-game then I just buy iron ingots and leather strips in town, craft iron daggers, enchant them with banish daedra, and sell for about 1200 gold a pop (handy having a maxed out Tonilia here).

You would spend a while waiting but can become a millionaire without leaving town. ;)

Alchemy is just game breaking if you abuse it. It is class levelling speech from the base level to 100 buy selling one position though. :lol:

I tend to wait a long while before touching smithing in earnest for that exact reason.

You're giving the lad hints on how to cheese a game that's pretty easy to start with, I intentionally tried to avoid that with it being his first play through.

There's really no need to hoard dragon bones until you have a float of cash and have fully upgraded breeze home.

With smithing I tend to wait until the mid-game then I just buy iron ingots and leather strips in town, craft iron daggers, enchant them with banish daedra, and sell for about 1200 gold a pop (handy having a maxed out Tonilia here).

You would spend a while waiting but can become a millionaire without leaving town. ;)

Alchemy is just game breaking if you abuse it. It is class levelling speech from the base level to 100 buy sell:lol:ing one position though.

Alchemy is what Smithing should of been. I know you can sleep an in-day game to reset the vendors stock but the actual really good Alchemy stuff you need to go out and find, like the Giant's Toe I mentioned and Daedra's Heart.

Despite cheesing it I do like to challenge myself, Bow playstyle on hardest difficulty, with no followers. You do find the 1 hander/bow enemies easy but the 2handers and magic users (and obviously Dragons) do give you trouble.

Last edited:
Alchemy is what Smithing should of been. I know you can sleep an in-day game to reset the vendors stock but the actual really good Alchemy stuff you need to go out and find, like the Giant's Toe I mentioned and Daedra's Heart.

Despite cheesing it I do like to challenge myself, Bow playstyle on hardest difficulty, with no followers. You do find the 1 hander/bow enemies easy but the 2handers and magic users (and obviously Dragons) do give you trouble.
It's more efficient to go out. But trust me, if you have enough coin you can stand in the alchemy shop, wait 2 days, clear her out, them repeat. :lol:

I'm only on adept with this play through, I'm using Lydia as a meat shield too. I can't equip armour as I gain experience taking a hit. I have no f***ing clue why I'm hoarding flowers either as I can't use an alchemy lab.

Done throat of the world.

Still skilled up nowt.

In Riften I had to punch a guard in the face and get sent to prison there to get in :lol:

I got attacked by a Blood Dragon, a f***ing Blood Dragon at level 1. I hid like a fanny while my companions dealt with it.

I've been getting into it over the last few weeks. Level 18, one handed with shield, got about 20k gold and nothing to spend it on. Also just ignored magic altogether and I get tortured by wizards etc. Don't know what to do now, trying to avoid the main quest as much as I can.
Isn't there a reflect ability for the shield?

I don't really get how spells work, I only use shouts and ignore poisons/potions/magic :lol: will look into it
If you've been picking up potions you're probably carrying something that will provide resistance to some magic.

Surprised your struggling, as long as you have a dozen healing potions you should be able to twat anything to death. You should start seeing more enchanted weapons as random loot, a fire sword is canny in most situations.

Conjuration magic is underrated imo.

The low-level summon, the wolf whatever it is, can attract the attention of whatever's trying to kill you for a few vital seconds.

If you've been picking up potions you're probably carrying something that will provide resistance to some magic.

Surprised your struggling, as long as you have a dozen healing potions you should be able to twat anything to death. You should start seeing more enchanted weapons as random loot, a fire sword is canny in most situations.

I've got a fire sword, and I am twatting most things, including dragons. Just killed some boss in a dungeon, forgot his name, began with an M, he was 1-shotting me with an ice blast thing. I had to put godmode on to get past it :oops:

The low-level summon, the wolf whatever it is, can attract the attention of whatever's trying to kill you for a few vital seconds.
Agree.

It works well of you are using ranged weapons and magic.

You can also summon weapons and armour which is canny.

Less useful if you are a heavy armour user wielding a sword and shield.

I've got a fire sword, and I am twatting most things, including dragons. Just killed some boss in a dungeon, forgot his name, began with an M, he was 1-shotting me with an ice blast thing. I had to put godmode on to get past it :oops:

Not sure of the dungeon, but know the spell.

The world is (supposed to be) locked at your current level.

As far as I'm aware dungeons are a bit different though, they have ranges.

The first time you enter a dungeon it will lock in at that level. So if you step into a dungeon that has a range of say level 30-40 at level 5 it locks in at 30 and there's every chance you will get your shit wrecked, if you enter that same dungeon at level 60 it will lock at level 40 and it will be a piece of piss.

You can generally get through anything with enough health potions.

Last edited:

Overpowered I'd say.

Did a full play through going for conjuring, can just summon them demon bassas up and ping arrows at them from a distance.

Debating getting the VR again. Is Skyrim VR any good? Would probably be the deciding factor as to whether I buy one or not

Debating getting the VR again. Is Skyrim VR any good? Would probably be the deciding factor as to whether I buy one or not
Skyrim is a huge game, so do the VR in small stints of a few hours before a break. Even I got nausea from it after quite a few hours when I first tried it and VR stuff doesn’t usually affect me.

I love the game though. It’s just finding the time to play VR since with a decent headset in, there’s no way someone can contact you unless they tap you on the shoulder :lol:

Back