Skiing in and around Geneva in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

TouchSAFC

Midfield
Any recommendations for hotels/ ski resorts ?

Nivver been before so not a scooby ?

The missus' idea. I fancied a week on the beach but apparently freezing cold in Switzerland / France is a much better idea :/

The missus' idea. I fancied a week on the beach but apparently freezing cold in Switzerland / France is a much better idea :/

We really enjoyed Crans Montana. The nightlife bars and restaurants were great. Well recommended

Some lovely runs and suitable for all types of skier

I know someone who lived in Geneva for a while

She went skiing pretty much every weekend by the sounds of it so you should have a wonderful time

Also it is expensive (I bought my beer from Lidl instead when I went but I didn't ski as I'd end up with broken limbs) but the lake is very nice

Have a look at the MGS website for Val Cenis. If you've not been before, Val C is hard to beat for a beginner. Huge green slope down from the lift whereas you would normally go up a pulley for 100 metres or so and spend all week doing that. They do ski hosting, nights out etc in with the price. The digs are quite small and Val C doesn't have a massive nightlife but good, high skiing and superb for beginners.

I know someone who lived in Geneva for a while

She went skiing pretty much every weekend by the sounds of it so you should have a wonderful time

Also it is expensive (I bought my beer from Lidl instead when I went but I didn't ski as I'd end up with broken limbs) but the lake is very nice

Thanks mate. Flights are cheap as anything so hopefully offset for the beer money :)

With climate change it's hard to tell.

It used to be that the lower level resorts were better at that time of year except for exceptional years when snow hadn't started laying in November/early December in order to insulate and also cement it to the ground.

If by 'never been before' you mean 'never skied before' I would probably recommend places like Les Gets as it has broad pistes ideal for starters at both skiing and snow boarding.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Gets#Winter

If you're above beginner stage then there a quite a few places than should be good that time of year provided there's been snowfall over Xmas.

Have a look at the MGS website for Val Cenis. If you've not been before, Val C is hard to beat for a beginner. Huge green slope down from the lift whereas you would normally go up a pulley for 100 metres or so and spend all week doing that. They do ski hosting, nights out etc in with the price. The digs are quite small and Val C doesn't have a massive nightlife but good, high skiing and superb for beginners.

Sounds great, cheers

It used to be that the lower level resorts were better at that time of year except for exceptional years when snow hadn't started laying in November/early December in order to insulate and also cement it to the ground.

If by 'never been before' you mean 'never skied before' I would probably recommend places like Les Gets as it has broad pistes ideal for starters at both skiing and snow boarding.:

If you're above beginner stage then there a quite a few places than should be good that time of year provided there's been snowfall over Xmas.

Thanks mate, total beginner but mrs is French so skied before

I second this. Its also part of a much bigger area and lots of different resorts. Can also ski into Switzerland.

Edit. I always go late January and have had a mixture of conditions. Morzine is a good central base if you cover a lot of ground. Or Avoriaz.

Last edited:
I second this. Its also part of a much bigger area and lots of different resorts. Can also ski into Switzerland.
Aye, it's part of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portes_du_Soleil but the links between the resorts are generally not very beginner friendly.

The OP might also like to check which resorts have large ski-de-fond (cross-country skiing) networks for days you want a break from the slopes. A bit energetic but much more calming and less stressful. Or places you can rent snow shoes (raquets) and just go for a walk in a silent wilderness wonderland.

mrs is French so skied before
What part of France?

If she's Parisienne then she probably only knows which resorts are best during high season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back