Skiing in and around Geneva in January

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did Courmayeur out of Geneva. Much cheaper than French resorts and only a few miles over the border. Decent for beginners although not a huge resort but will do for a week or so. Italy so the food and booze is cracking.

Can't you wait to Feb march... Peak time for the resorts.. where is she fron

Can't mate. The daughters away skiing with school in January so has to be then so we can have a break just us two. She comes from Northern France, Picardie region

Any recommendations for hotels/ ski resorts ?

Nivver been before so not a scooby ?

The missus' idea. I fancied a week on the beach but apparently freezing cold in Switzerland / France is a much better idea :/

I go to Morzine most years from Geneva, last year snow was great but the previous it's been hit and miss. I can get discount on a catered chalet if your interested. (Morzine is an hour away)

Any recommendations for hotels/ ski resorts ?

Nivver been before so not a scooby ?

The missus' idea. I fancied a week on the beach but apparently freezing cold in Switzerland / France is a much better idea :/

Go to Austria, no french bastards and much cheaper. Additional bonus of the airport not being utter chod, took 2hrs to check in last time we went to Geneva.

Salzburg is the way forward

But Genève is a lively city and Lac Leman is to die for. Worked there inLausanne, Morges,Vevey and other little lakeside towns. Evian on the French side is lovely too.

Most overpriced shithole on the planet, just happens to be on a nice lake. Utterly hate Geneva, even a mcdonald's is a tenner or more and forget about eating at a somewhat decent restaurant

Last edited:
Go to Austria, no french bastards and much cheaper. Additional bonus of the airport not being utter chod, took 2hrs to check in last time we went to Geneva.

Most overpriced shithole on the planet, just happens to be on a nice lake. Utterly hate Geneva, even a mcdonald's is a tenner or more and forget about eating at a somewhat decent restaurant
Each to their own.

Shush man, we're not allowed to say that.
Advice will be taken. Thanks.

I live in the Perigord in a holiday town which is inundated my middle class, middled aged British visitors in the summer.

Probably best if I decline to share my views (and the views of my neighbours) on the behavior of those visitors. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone who lived in Geneva for a while

She went skiing pretty much every weekend by the sounds of it so you should have a wonderful time

Also it is expensive (I bought my beer from Lidl instead when I went but I didn't ski as I'd end up with broken limbs) but the lake is very nice

Trip advisor has nowt on you mate :)

Twaddle. Open your eyes and look around. MacDonalds? FFS? Sounds as though you got what you deserved.

My wife's French but thanks anyway :mad::eek::D

Austria IS much better than France for skiing, but his french wife wants to go to her homeland.

Salzburg / Chambery (sp) are risky as they closed a lot

I tried. Apparently she misses skiing and it's my fault as she moved here for me. I showed her the website for silky slope but nee joy :)

i think once you've been on the real piste, you may understand why.....btw plenty of good shouts on here, im sure you will have great time

Each to their own.

I live in the Perigord in a holiday town which is inundated my middle class, middled aged British visitors in the summer.

Probably best if I decline to share my views (and the views of my neighbours) on the behavior of those visitors. :)

Which town.. I was in Perigreux for a week last week.

Can't mate. The daughters away skiing with school in January so has to be then so we can have a break just us two. She comes from Northern France, Picardie region
Eeee so does mine. In fact I'm in chantilly on my way to the boulangerie now.

For skiing go high at that time of the year. I like alpe d'huez but transfer time can be a shit.

Each to their own.

Two sets of cousins plus one uncle have retired/semi-retired a few miles due West of you. Not sure if their various houses (one of them fixes them up for a living) are in Charente or Charente-Maritime.

Two sets of cousins plus one uncle have retired/semi-retired a few miles due West of you. Not sure if their various houses (one of them fixes them up for a living) are in Charente or Charente-Maritime.

nice bit of coastline that... down from La Rochelle to the Gironde and Bordeaux

Have Ile de Re too although mental getting across the bridge onto it in season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back