Ski resorts for young kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers folks will check that out, my kids (12&11) want to go, have to try and give them the chance to try it.
If the kids want to learn to snowboard then you may need to factor in the fact you need to look for a resort with less drag lifts and t-bars. To be fair even if you ski they are a pain in the arse too compared to chairlifts

Just priced Scheffau through Crystal Ski. For a week its £3k HB, not too bad then I seen the extras. You can get a beginner pack which includes lift pass and gear which is about £1200. Are there any more charges I need to know about?? Like the look of Austria, wouldn't mind going to Munich for the day as well but would probably prefer to get moneys worth on skis!

Just priced Scheffau through Crystal Ski. For a week its £3k HB, not too bad then I seen the extras. You can get a beginner pack which includes lift pass and gear which is about £1200. Are there any more charges I need to know about?? Like the look of Austria, wouldn't mind going to Munich for the day as well but would probably prefer to get moneys worth on skis!

How many people does the €1200 cover?

Does the 'beginner' pack include any lessons? You'll maybe looking at another €80 per head per day for that.

Per person, you should get skis & boots for about €120 per week, ski pass €250 (depends on the area). It's probably worth taking out their ski insurance (for damage to equipment). Someone ran over my son's skis when we were in Obergurgl a few years ago and damaged the running edge. Cost €300 at the time (we got it back through our own insurance later) but it was a pain in the bum. Having said that, we got to keep the skis including the bindings which were good quality so I got them transferred to a pair of skis I bought from China.

If I'm going to a new resort I find it helpful to get a one day lesson - it's a good way to get a guided tour of the area (and they usually point you in the right direction of the better bars and restaurants on the mountain).

You may want to have something in your budget for lunches but if you're going half board in Austria you'll maybe find you only need a drink during the day.

You should get a big breakfast - and you'll have 4 or 5 courses in the evening (and maybe cakes late afternoon).

Kaiser bier is lovely.

Niederau in Austria is good for going to Munich..it's right at the top near the German border..usual trip from the hotel..about 1hr 40 mins..early start like.

Check late deals with esprit

Only for familes

I'd pick Austria over France.. far friendlier

This is good advice from Epps.

Obergurgl in Austria is worth a look. Very high so much more likely to have powder and a good selection of run. It's in no-way a party town either.

In terms of cost Switzerland is the most expensive, then France, Austria, Italy, Spain, Bulgaria. I have only done Switzerland, France, Austria and Italy so cant comment on the last two I'm afraid. Italian resorts tend to be smaller, so sometimes seem to have smaller/less nursery slopes (from my experience so stand to be corrected).

Also take a look at Somoens. Very close to Geneva and much nicer than Flaine. They do a reduced price lift pass if you only use the nursery slopes.
really nicekids learning area at the top of the gondola. It even has a carpt lift like a moving walkway for kids who are too small / inexperienced to use the button lift. We took our 4 year old there a couple of years ago and he loved it. He's now 6 and loves skiing.

Used to be down the Knaresbrough bank in Murton on some plastic bags when I was a bairn.

Also take a look at Somoens. Very close to Geneva and much nicer than Flaine. They do a reduced price lift pass if you only use the nursery slopes.
really nicekids learning area at the top of the gondola. It even has a carpt lift like a moving walkway for kids who are too small / inexperienced to use the button lift. We took our 4 year old there a couple of years ago and he loved it. He's now 6 and loves skiing.

Pretty much the norm at all resorts

Pretty much the norm at all resorts

We're going back to Bad Gastein / Bad Hofgastein this year - I'm fairly sure they've got a carpet in one of the areas.

Not a bad resort for beginners - plenty of long blue runs. Not a lot of blacks, but quite a few challenging reds (enough for my knees these days, at least).

We're going back to Bad Gastein / Bad Hofgastein this year - I'm fairly sure they've got a carpet in one of the areas.

Not a bad resort for beginners - plenty of long blue runs. Not a lot of blacks, but quite a few challenging reds (enough for my knees these days, at least).
I was in chatelaine last year and a beginner area had about 5 of them and one was about 300 metres long

I was in chatelaine last year and a beginner area had about 5 of them and one was about 300 metres long

300 metres is longer than some of the pistes at The Lecht!

I like to think I'm beyond that stage now! But worth bearing in mind - I would like to get our grand daughter into skiing as soon as possible (another couple years yet).

Priced Austria today for week in half term break 2020. Ffs, lowest price was £5k not including gear or passes etc. Is that what people pay haha?

Priced Austria today for week in half term break 2020. Ffs, lowest price was £5k not including gear or passes etc. Is that what people pay haha?
Seems a bit top side but it's been a few years since we had to go during the school holidays. It pays to look at all the deals and not worry too much about the actual resort (as long as it's not a dump and too low). Have a look at Sestriere or Saulze as options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back