Single use plastics

Big Toe

Midfield
Went out for some food yesterday and noticed they only had those papers straws. We’re being told that single use plastics are bad for the environment but it got me thinking about how. I agree we should move to biodegradable products but not for the reasons we’re told.

I like in the UK and I don’t get the direct link between plastic I use and it ending up in the belly of a whale. Is this because the people dealing with our waste aren’t disposing of it correctly?

Yes it gets blown from landfill sites or bins or carelessly discarded by people at the beach. I was in a submarine last year and was disgusted by the amount of plastic bottles, plastic wrapping etc., on the sea bed :(

They say "80%" is from littering at the beach etc which I find hard to believe

Clearly the landfill just gets dumped there by every country

Heard McDonald's are going back to paper straws but tbh I've heard that for the last few years. Maybe one day they'll actually do it.

Went out for some food yesterday and noticed they only had those papers straws. We’re being told that single use plastics are bad for the environment but it got me thinking about how. I agree we should move to biodegradable products but not for the reasons we’re told.

I like in the UK and I don’t get the direct link between plastic I use and it ending up in the belly of a whale. Is this because the people dealing with our waste aren’t disposing of it correctly?

it's down to both people littering and landfill getting blown about.
the biggest sea pollution from plastics is from car tyres and washing clothes iirc?

There was a plan to charge for placky bags to reduce the numbers being dumped, by charging for them. Not sure if that actually happened. I think the idea was to encourage people to buy bags for life, or at least multiple use. But because we live in a throw away society, these heavier duty bags are now being thrown out the way the thinner ones are. Mrs R works for a charity and people bring their donations in these bags and don't want them back. They end up with thousands.

There was a plan to charge for placky bags to reduce the numbers being dumped, by charging for them. Not sure if that actually happened. I think the idea was to encourage people to buy bags for life, or at least multiple use. But because we live in a throw away society, these heavier duty bags are now being thrown out the way the thinner ones are. Mrs R works for a charity and people bring their donations in these bags and don't want them back. They end up with thousands.

To be fair I do the same and figure that by leaving the charity with the bag they’ll get reused and passed onto customers of the shop

To be fair I do the same and figure that by leaving the charity with the bag they’ll get reused and passed onto customers of the shop

I've just asked mrs R what they eventually do with the thousands they end up, and they just take them to the council tip. I suppose some might get used at some places.

I had a coke the other day, still plastic. Still doing the limited trials it seems.

Doesn't need trials, just do it.
Trials were done last year. Been replacing them since September last year. Always been paper straw anything I've had since before Christmas.

Trials were done last year. Been replacing them since September last year. Always been paper straw anything I've had since before Christmas.

One I went to must be slow on the uptake. Not that I'm a regular McDonald's customer like.

Aye, same, started using paper last year, not that I use straws that much but great for the kids. Prefer the paper ones anyway.

Straws are a tiny part of the plastics used, they should be cutting out plastics in the supply chain rather than eco point scoring by doing something small but customer facing.

I absolutely hate paper straws, they stick to my lips and I’m convinced I can taste the paper.

Nobody takes the 10p bags back though do they? Where are the 100s you’ve got in the kitchen cupboard going to end up?

Back