Single use plastics

Nobody takes the 10p bags back though do they? Where are the 100s you’ve got in the kitchen cupboard going to end up?

I'm not sure what your point is. Or what you mean. If you mean the light weight ones, they'll end up where they do now, whether people pay for them or not. My point was, the bags for life are now being increasingly thrown out as well, instead of being reused multiple times. If you mean "what do my wife and I do with the bags", we re-use then till they fall apart.

So if it’s less developed countries causing the problems then why are we being preached to about using it?

Yeah people litter but not to the extent that we’re shown on tv

I'm not sure what your point is. Or what you mean. If you mean the light weight ones, they'll end up where they do now, whether people pay for them or not. My point was, the bags for life are now being increasingly thrown out as well, instead of being reused multiple times. If you mean "what do my wife and I do with the bags", we re-use then till they fall apart.
I don’t mean you personally, but everyone seems to have millions of 10p bags, so that tactic clearly didn’t work. Unless all the 10ps go towards cleaning up the oceans?

Straws get pelters because of a statistic that got traction which was, I believe, "the US throws away 500 million plastic straws a day"

That stat originally came from a project a bairn was doing, it seems he rang a few manufacturers then pulled a number out of his arse

I don’t mean you personally, but everyone seems to have millions of 10p bags, so that tactic clearly didn’t work. Unless all the 10ps go towards cleaning up the oceans?

I only have a one or two from the odd occasion when I've forgotten to take reusable bags. Most of mine are canvas or woven bags that are ancient as I'm too tight to pay for the 10p ones each time.

I even take a couple on holiday. My eldest said I was sad for strolling around in Greece last summer with my Morrisons bag :oops::lol:

Went out for some food yesterday and noticed they only had those papers straws. We’re being told that single use plastics are bad for the environment but it got me thinking about how. I agree we should move to biodegradable products but not for the reasons we’re told.

I like in the UK and I don’t get the direct link between plastic I use and it ending up in the belly of a whale. Is this because the people dealing with our waste aren’t disposing of it correctly?

I believe the vast majority of it is carried into the seas by the huge rivers of Asia. Apparently some of our Asian friends use the local rivers as rubbish dumps.

We used the free bags as bin liners.

Now we use the bags the charity people stick through the door,

We do that anall.

Should bring back the incinerators. Always thought landfill was a bad idea.

I watched a documentary on Newcastle City Council's waste disposal a while back. They sort out their rubbish, and then bale up the burnable stuff and sell it to a electricity-generating incinerator plant in Norway.

An admirable solution, I think.

Last edited:
Nothing will change as long as they make money out of plastics.

When it's cheaper to use natural fabrics they'll switch.

Environmental issues are right down the priority list.

I only have a one or two from the odd occasion when I've forgotten to take reusable bags. Most of mine are canvas or woven bags that are ancient as I'm too tight to pay for the 10p ones each time.

I even take a couple on holiday. My eldest said I was sad for strolling around in Greece last summer with my Morrisons bag :oops::lol:
I can’t get into my boiler cupboard for them. I must buy about 5 a week.

I just try to buy stuff in paper packaging, which my council is pretty good at re-cycling and getting energy from waste, and then try to use everything again. Raw food/peelings etc. goes in the compost; cooked food goes in the dog; tins, glass, paper and plastics are re-cycled; small plastic bags and single use carriers pick up dog-poo; and I think how to re-use things before consigning them to the dump. Every little helps.

Went out for some food yesterday and noticed they only had those papers straws. We’re being told that single use plastics are bad for the environment but it got me thinking about how. I agree we should move to biodegradable products but not for the reasons we’re told.

I like in the UK and I don’t get the direct link between plastic I use and it ending up in the belly of a whale. Is this because the people dealing with our waste aren’t disposing of it correctly?
We sell it to china and indonesia. The indonesians dump it in the sea.

Yes it gets blown from landfill sites or bins or carelessly discarded by people at the beach. I was in a submarine last year and was disgusted by the amount of plastic bottles, plastic wrapping etc., on the sea bed :(
A submarine with windows? Sounds good. Where was that?

Back