Single use plastics

Nothing will change as long as they make money out of plastics.

When it's cheaper to use natural fabrics they'll switch.

Environmental issues are right down the priority list.

i agree, the plastics industry is huge. i'd imagine they will have a much bigger sway with governments than a few pictures of a turtle being strangled by a carrier bag on the internet or a few folk cleaning up beaches.
it's sadly the way of the world.

i agree, the plastics industry is huge. i'd imagine they will have a much bigger sway with governments than a few pictures of a turtle being strangled by a carrier bag on the internet or a few folk cleaning up beaches.
it's sadly the way of the world.

Oil industry. With EV cars on the horizon, a reduction plastic is another blow and they’ve always held sway with governments.

Have a walk round the supermarket and tell me which packaging couldn’t be replaced by glass bottles, metal cans or cardboard cartons. You could get rid of 90% of plastic packaging in an instant.
Stop making so many clothes out of synthetics. Stop selling water in plastic bottles. Move back to paper bags etc etc.
I’ve discussed all this with one of the world’s leading authorities and the answer is always the same - plastic is cheaper. However a lot of people are going to get a shock when the oil runs out. I bet many people don’t even know where plastic comes from.

Should bring back the incinerators. Always thought landfill was a bad idea.
It’s pretty much happened. Landfill tax makes it uneconomic to landfill waste. Most of the north East’s household waste is incinerated at a plant in Billingham. Merseyside’s waste is starting to come by train into another incinerator on the old ICI site at Wilton

Always think that consumers get the brunt of this stuff, there's a lot of shaming going on for using things like plastic straws or carrier bags, but where's the action in pushing shops or bars away from supplying them? Or stopping manufacturers and producers from using so much in packing and packaging? Your average consumer uses plastic because that's what's there, we're not the ones choosing to use it.

Our binmen must contribute a lot of waste.

It's like a landfill in the street after they've been around "collecting".

Try hitting the wagon ya lazy bassas. And if you drop something why not pick it up ?

Have a walk round the supermarket and tell me which packaging couldn’t be replaced by glass bottles, metal cans or cardboard cartons. You could get rid of 90% of plastic packaging in an instant.
Stop making so many clothes out of synthetics. Stop selling water in plastic bottles. Move back to paper bags etc etc.
I’ve discussed all this with one of the world’s leading authorities and the answer is always the same - plastic is cheaper. However a lot of people are going to get a shock when the oil runs out. I bet many people don’t even know where plastic comes from.
Water in paper bags sounds a class idea :lol:

Yet we condone balloon releases, by not banning them. There's a single use example that even some authorities/organisations get involved in. e.g. London Olympics - let's put a shit load of wildlife in danger, so people can go Ooh! and Ah! for 20 seconds.

Last edited:
Yet we condone balloon releases, by not banning them. There's a single use example that even some authorities/organisations get involved in. e.g. London Olympics - let's put a shit load of wildlife in danger, so people can go Ooh! and Ah! for 20 seconds.

Sure cos the four yearly Olympics with a few hundred balloons compared to the (500?) million plastic straws chucked away every day will make a real impact.

Back