Simon Brunton's Attack on Defoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember BSA having a go at Viduka after a game for not hitting his distance covered target, we'd won 3-1 and Viduka scored twice......

Stats mean bollock all

I completely disagree with the article. In that sort of game, against a massed ranks defence, having a poacher like Defoe is ideal and he'll break the deadlock despite have little to do in all around play; there is little point having a link up striker against Lithuania as we have no real problem with keeping the ball up front or making it stick.

So the journalist is wrong imo. Despite my previous errors about Defoe, I completely disagree about with the article.

However.......

I'm guessing the journalists point is that, in terms of England being particularly successful we'd need a striker to do more than stand around and wait for a chance. Against somebody half-decent, when we have to try to function as a whole team and won't be against a team playing all out defence, we'd need somebody as more of an all rounder or who can hold it off for us.

I can agree to a point, but I don't think a poacher like Defoe should be written off; somebody like him against Slovakia, Russia or Iceland in the summer would have been very handy coming off the bench to nick a goal and he shouldn't be done down because of that.

So, again, I think the journalist is wrong. But I can understand the opinion and it's got f***ing nothing to do with some crazy bizarre mad agenda because everyone hates Sunderland.

It's not an attack.

JD is what he is, a decent finisher but he's never gonna be a Zlatan in terms of linking the play.

Looking at the England team there's holes all over it :cool:
Dodgy keeper in decline
Centre halfs who could give chuckle brothers a run for their money
Fast wingers with the touch of a dog chasing a balloon
Limited attack
Top heavy mf options

Next years gonna be fun alright. :p

Cant fuckin stand these 'journalists' who think they know more about the game than managers

Defoe will not be good enough against top level opposition for England. He will get a fair few against the rubbish in the qualifiers though, so he is a great guy to have in the squad when there are injuries and the like.

It's not an attack.

JD is what he is, a decent finisher but he's never gonna be a Zlatan in terms of linking the play.

Dodgy keeper in decline
Limited attack
Top heavy mf options

Much maligned as he is, Rooney is still the most talented player at England's disposal. Problem is he is not getting game time at Man Utd, so he would probably be better off going back to Everton to finish his career.

At the end of the day we will be struggling in the Championship and Defoe will have been at another club for a year by the time the World Cup comes round and I doubt that many of us will still be interested. The fantastic thing was that he got the start and the goal and led young Bradley out in front of the nation...if it ends there it's ended on a massive high.

He deserves a good spanking for being constantly in a useful position to score goals instead of helping out the midfield all the time :rolleyes:

It's not an attack.

Dodgy keeper in decline
Limited attack
Top heavy mf options

Roll on to when you can pretend to be a Leicester Fan again

There seems to be a real agenda against Defoe being picked. They're mentioning his age despite the fact players like Beckham Gerrard Lampard Cole David James all got picked well into their 30s.

Have to say it's because he plays for us. I really don't think there's such a big deal if he plays for West Ham or Palace for example.

Also seem to overlook the fact that he's fitter than most players 10 years younger than him.

It's probably worth remembering that The Fiver isn't meant to be serious.

Simon Burntons views are definitely serious if you listen to this weeks Football Weekly.

Last edited:
He has every right to analyse Defoe's performance and criticise it at the end of the day he's a sports journalist.
However the mocking tone of the article has agenda written all over it.
The man is just another journalistic know nothing bellend.

I completely disagree with the article. In that sort of game, against a massed ranks defence, having a poacher like Defoe is ideal and he'll break the deadlock despite have little to do in all around play; there is little point having a link up striker against Lithuania as we have no real problem with keeping the ball up front or making it stick.

So the journalist is wrong imo. Despite my previous errors about Defoe, I completely disagree about with the article.

However.......

I'm guessing the journalists point is that, in terms of England being particularly successful we'd need a striker to do more than stand around and wait for a chance. Against somebody half-decent, when we have to try to function as a whole team and won't be against a team playing all out defence, we'd need somebody as more of an all rounder or who can hold it off for us.

I can agree to a point, but I don't think a poacher like Defoe should be written off; somebody like him against Slovakia, Russia or Iceland in the summer would have been very handy coming off the bench to nick a goal and he shouldn't be done down because of that.

So, again, I think the journalist is wrong. But I can understand the opinion and it's got f***ing nothing to do with some crazy bizarre mad agenda because everyone hates Sunderland.
Great post.
What error would that be?
:lol:

The most important stat in foot ball is goals.

Watching sky sports last week confirmed media obsessed with stats, last week they did a feature on which team has had most throw ins, I mean who gives a fuck
I'd like to see stats on successful throw-ins. Seems like we're more likely to pass them straight to the baddies nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back