Shogun

Been curious about this show given all the glowing reviews but don't have Disney+, so bought the book to read to see if it might be worth getting a subscription.

About 250 pages in and really struggling. Not a fan of the writing at all - horrendously wooden, 2D characters and some of the clunkiest, most unnatural dialogue I've come across. Only ever given up and abandoned 2 novels in my life but thinking of making this the 3rd.

Anyone read both the book and watched the show? If I don't like the book am I likely to enjoy the show?
The show is great. Lead English actor is a bit unnatural in his delivery, but all the Japanese actors are superb and it is real high quality TV (and there's plenty of modern TV shows with high production values that I bin off early if the writing is poor).

I don't think the book should put you off, unless the whole "being in medieval Japan" element isn't working for you.

The show is great. Lead English actor is a bit unnatural in his delivery, but all the Japanese actors are superb and it is real high quality TV (and there's plenty of modern TV shows with high production values that I bin off early if the writing is poor).

I don't think the book should put you off, unless the whole "being in medieval Japan" element isn't working for you.
Nah, the medieval Japan thing doesn't put me off. Generally I love historical fiction. What puts me off is the book's shitty writing!

Been curious about this show given all the glowing reviews but don't have Disney+, so bought the book to read to see if it might be worth getting a subscription.

About 250 pages in and really struggling. Not a fan of the writing at all - horrendously wooden, 2D characters and some of the clunkiest, most unnatural dialogue I've come across. Only ever given up and abandoned 2 novels in my life but thinking of making this the 3rd.

Anyone read both the book and watched the show? If I don't like the book am I likely to enjoy the show?
Stick with it and then read the other books in the series. I've not watched the present series but watched the 1980 series when it came out, I was lucky and visited the castle at Himeji where some of it was filmed in the 1970's.

Yeh it’s a long ass book where ultimately nothing much happens, the whole thing isn’t so much about blackthorn but more how toranaga handles the whole strategy then manipulating and reading everyones motives. STill enjoyed the book when I read it years ago

This week’s was fabulous - really tense, and I hope no-one’s read the massive spoiler a few posts higher.

I worried that
, then thought
only to be
when
at the end. Although
action along the way first.
This week’s was fabulous - really tense, and I hope no-one’s read the massive spoiler a few posts higher.

I worried that
, then thought
only to be
when
at the end. Although
action along the way first.

Damn, looks like I’m not so hot at using the spoiler function…you can just work it all out, I guess.

Aye, better than not being cast at all I suppose.
Probably really lucrative tbh, if your one of the few well known/ better actors in Japan that can also speak English

Like that red indian fella who played magua in last of the mohicans, he seemed to be in everything for a while afterwards

Last edited:

Back