Shogun

Really enjoying it, Hiroyuki Sanada who plays Lord Toranaga is always decent.

Finished the fourth yesterday and that ending was brutal!
Probably the most brutal thing I’ve seen on tv, way more graphic than GoT. Caught up to all 5 now.

Does anyone know what day they’re out?

Probably the most brutal thing I’ve seen on tv, way more graphic than GoT. Caught up to all 5 now.

Does anyone know what day they’re out?
Think they air on a monday in the states. I've been watching newly released ones on D+ on tuesday evenings.

It's an uncanny impression of Richard Burton. Deliberate, apparently, but I don't know why.

Thought the series got off to a decent start, but it's a bit CGI-y, and at times you can see Nigel Williams's fingerprints in the script - eg the cringy dialogue about 'baby earthquakes'. (As well as being a screenwriter, he's written twee novels set in and around Wimbledon.)

I was on a flight yesterday and watched The Last Samurai. Although set a couple of centuries apart, there are some plot similarities with Shogun, and it also co-stars a younger Hiroyuki Sanada, who plays the Shogun in this.

He sounds more like Russel Crowe for me

It's an uncanny impression of Richard Burton. Deliberate, apparently, but I don't know why.

Thought the series got off to a decent start, but it's a bit CGI-y, and at times you can see Nigel Williams's fingerprints in the script - eg the cringy dialogue about 'baby earthquakes'. (As well as being a screenwriter, he's written twee novels set in and around Wimbledon.)

I was on a flight yesterday and watched The Last Samurai. Although set a couple of centuries apart, there are some plot similarities with Shogun, and it also co-stars a younger Hiroyuki Sanada, who plays the Shogun in this.

Great film, one of my favourites.

Just watched all the episodes in the space of a couple days. Didn't realise they weren't all out yet. Tremendous. Love the wee consort lass."please be on your way" was mint.
a bit violent?
They do at least hide some of the beheadings. The samurai weren't known for being gentle TBF.

Last edited:
I’m enjoying it. And a mate who know about these things tells me that it’s closer to the book and better than the original Richard Chamberlain series, both of which I have, to this point, been oblivious.

Edit: I thought I was clever saying that the main actor seemed to be doing a Richard Burton vocal impression until the missus told me she’d googled the reviews and told me that the internet was crammed with people saying the same thing.

Last edited:
I’m enjoying it. And a mate who know about these things tells me that it’s closer to the book and better than the original Richard Chamberlain series, both of which I have, to this point, been oblivious.

Edit: I thought I was clever saying that the main actor seemed to be doing a Richard Burton vocal impression until the missus told me she’d googled the reviews and told me that the internet was crammed with people saying the same thing.
Yeh way closer to the book thunder kildares version

Hoovered up the first 5 and watching them weekly. Going to watch today's now. I read about the William Adams story donkeys ago and thought it would make a great programme if the Americans didn't get their mitts on it

Been curious about this show given all the glowing reviews but don't have Disney+, so bought the book to read to see if it might be worth getting a subscription.

About 250 pages in and really struggling. Not a fan of the writing at all - horrendously wooden, 2D characters and some of the clunkiest, most unnatural dialogue I've come across. Only ever given up and abandoned 2 novels in my life but thinking of making this the 3rd.

Anyone read both the book and watched the show? If I don't like the book am I likely to enjoy the show?

Back