Shogun

Really enjoying it, Hiroyuki Sanada who plays Lord Toranaga is always decent.

Finished the fourth yesterday and that ending was brutal!
It’s absolutely excellent, best thing of its ilk since GoT.

That ending to episode 4, you knew what Toranaga’s son was plotting, the execution of it though…reminded me of The Red Wedding for viewer impact.

It’s absolutely excellent, best thing of its ilk since GoT.

That ending to episode 4, you knew what Toranaga’s son was plotting, the execution of it though…reminded me of The Red Wedding for viewer impact.

Yeah, I agree with you there.

I just wish they were all available at once, I’d happily do them all in over a couple of nights.
What’s it on?

Disney mate (Star)

Love the show but agree with you here. It's like he's doing an impression of Tom Hardy doing an impression of Alec Guinness.
Is he English in any case the actor ? Never get why they cast people of different nationalities to put on an accent must be plenty can speak in their normal voice

Is he English in any case the actor ? Never get why they cast people of different nationalities to put on an accent must be plenty can speak in their normal voice
As good as. He's lived here since he was a baby, but he's got a bit of a west country accent rather than the accent that Blackthorn has in Shogun. Not sure why Blackthorne would have an RP accent though - the bloke he is based on would not have been a posho.

It’s fantastic.

Wish I waited for them all to be out before I started though, I hate being drip fed weekly episodes.

Love the show but agree with you here. It's like he's doing an impression of Tom Hardy doing an impression of Alec Guinness.

It's an uncanny impression of Richard Burton. Deliberate, apparently, but I don't know why.

Thought the series got off to a decent start, but it's a bit CGI-y, and at times you can see Nigel Williams's fingerprints in the script - eg the cringy dialogue about 'baby earthquakes'. (As well as being a screenwriter, he's written twee novels set in and around Wimbledon.)

I was on a flight yesterday and watched The Last Samurai. Although set a couple of centuries apart, there are some plot similarities with Shogun, and it also co-stars a younger Hiroyuki Sanada, who plays the Shogun in this.

Back