Shocker

You ignoring all the gifs further up? Pen all day
Must be surely?

This is what does my heads in about refs only giving fouls when players "go down".

Choudary does give him a tug, I'd say it is "contact with consequence" as you see his shoulder be pulled back.
Is it enough to make ballard throw himself to the floor like he has been sniped? Of course not, doesnt mean its not a foul though. Bllard feels he as to go down for it to be given.

Bet that's given elsewhere on the pitch.
Did you also miss gifs and images just up from your post as it's not just about the tug.

Last edited:

This is what does my heads in about refs only giving fouls when players "go down".

Choudary does give him a tug, I'd say it is "contact with consequence" as you see his shoulder be pulled back.
Is it enough to make ballard throw himself to the floor like he has been sniped? Of course not, doesnt mean its not a foul though. Bllard feels he as to go down for it to be given.

Bet that's given elsewhere on the pitch.
It's the leg clip that causes the fall tbf

I've seen plenty of views on this now and in the present rules I still see this as a pen. Soft or not, there is enough contact to put him off and players need to go down to try and get the result out of the issue these days.

There's another point though. There we're two handballs given last night which have not been given when in a box all season. There just seems to be a general lack of call in boxes full stop. Refs seem scared or making an incorrect decision that leads to a goal now.

Not for me. The hand on the shoulder is nowt.

Is the leg clip not Ballard's heel coming up into Choudary's knee when running?

Contact is not a foul. According to the rule book, a foul is "careless, reckless or using excessive force". A knee knocking against a heel while two players are running and competing for a ball is not a foul to me.

It is all these pissy bits of slight contact leading to a free kick every minute that makes modern football crap to watch. Stop start stop start all for nowt. Amature football flows much more because someone "feeling entitled to go down" would be laughed off the pitch.

Anywhere else on the pitch and Ballard doesn't go down like a fanny

It's never a pen
Don’t disagree he went down like a fanny but you see players (including ours) do that when shielding a ball out of play.

My view is if Ballard is trying to see a ball out defensively and choudruy does then same he blows for a foul every time…..doesn’t make it right but he deffo gives a foul

Contact is not a foul. According to the rule book, a foul is "careless, reckless or using excessive force". A knee knocking against a heel while two players are running and competing for a ball is not a foul to me.

It is all these pissy bits of slight contact leading to a free kick every minute that makes modern football crap to watch. Stop start stop start all for nowt. Amature football flows much more because someone "feeling entitled to go down" would be laughed off the pitch.

The biggest misconception here about contact is judging contact on how heavy it is. A heavy barge or kick on the thigh is not likely to knock you off balance. Equally a very little ankle tap when full tilt can cause you to lose balance.

As for the 'coming together' incidental clip of the lower leg the responsibility is on the defender who is behind the attacker who is in possession to avoid that. Either way, you can replicate the scenario with Ballard and Choudhury and nobody in Ballard's situation will be able to keep their footing. Try running and have someone nudge your calf downwards while you're full stride. No way you can stay on your feet.

It's definitely a pen

This is what I like about SAFC supporters , honest bunch who call it as they see it. If it were Arsenal / Liverpool / Man Utd fans they would be calling it a disgrace. VAR would have given a pen , hand on the shoulder , but he went down like he had been shot.

Some people are saying that, and they clearly don't like that others have a different opinion.

Fwiw, I'm on the fence for this one. It's not clear either way and it comes down to interpretation.

A pull on the shoulder doesn’t stop your legs from working. Ballard doesn’t help himself
A knee in your calf does though
This is what I like about SAFC supporters , honest bunch who call it as they see it. If it were Arsenal / Liverpool / Man Utd fans they would be calling it a disgrace. VAR would have given a pen , hand on the shoulder , but he went down like he had been shot.
Again, its not the hand on the shoulder thats the problem its the knee into the calf

Last edited:

Back